Curing chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing chicken

Can I mix curing salt into my dry rub for when I am doing poultry ? If yes what the procedure ? Thanks in advance

First off Welcome to smoked-meat. You have a very good question.

I guess I need some additional information in order for anyone to answer the question correctly.

What are you trying to accomplish? Chicken Jerky, whole chicken or a chicken sausage? What method of cooking are you planning?

Are you using Tenderquick or cure 1 or cure 2?

Comment

Assuming for a smoked bird? Sure. Of course a cure time will be needed. Usually it is done in a brine tho. Morton's book has a recipe for that. I'm still outta town...anyone got that handy?
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Looks like the links are no good on the Morton site.

I am sure someone will come up with it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
          First off Welcome to smoked-meat. You have a very good question.

I guess I need some additional information in order for anyone to answer the question correctly.

What are you trying to accomplish? Chicken Jerky, whole chicken or a chicken sausage? What method of cooking are you planning?

Are you using Tenderquick or cure 1 or cure 2?
          What I plan to do is put it in my rub .... rub my poultry leave for 24hrs then smoke in my uds.
          Originally posted by babyshaq270 View Post
          Can I mix curing salt into my dry rub for when I am doing poultry ? If yes what the procedure ? Thanks in advance

Comment

I have a Step by Step for Dry curing Boneless Turkey Breast with TQ, to turn it into what I call Canadian Turkey Bacon.

However, If I was going to do a whole chicken or numerous Chicken parts, I would make a proper Curing brine with Cure #1, and go that route.

I can't give you the specs on that, because I only Dry cure with TQ.

I'm sure a Cure #1 user here can help you.

Bear
            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Try some MH poultry brine and add some cure # 1 in it. I do it with pork loins regularly.
              Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
              My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
              @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Well, let me kick the hornets nest here....

If you are just smoking a whole yardbird or even pieces you will not need a cure.

The 24 hours cure time that you are discussing will not give you a bird that will be safe if not cooked in properly thru the safe time/temp. zone.

The safe zone I am talking about is you have 4 hours from the time the bird leaves the 'fridge to get the thick muscle (thigh or breast) up to or exceeding 140*F.

Tip passed on these recipes and the have served me well over the years.
                Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine By Tip Piper of Hillbilly Vittles
                1 ˝ Gal Water
                ˝ C Salt - Kosher
                ˝ C Dark Brown Sugar
                2 tsp Garlic Powder
                2 tsp Onion Powder
                2 tsp Cajun Spice (Louisiana Cajun Seasoning)
                2 tsp Celery Seed

Slaughterhouse Poultry Injection
                ˝ Pkg Good Seasons Italian Dressing
                2 tsp Garlic Powder
                2 tsp Celery Seed
                2 TBS melted Butter (non salted)
                2 C Apple Cider

Slaughterhouse Spritz (Good fer everthin!)
                8 oz Apple Cider
                6 oz Water
                4 oz Whiskey
                2 oz Cider Vinegar

I dont use the injection any more just the brine and spritz

Good Luck and Be Blessed
                Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                  Well, let me kick the hornets nest here....

If you are just smoking a whole yardbird or even pieces you will not need a cure.

The 24 hours cure time that you are discussing will not give you a bird that will be safe if not cooked in properly thru the safe time/temp. zone.

The safe zone I am talking about is you have 4 hours from the time the bird leaves the 'fridge to get the thick muscle (thigh or breast) up to or exceeding 140*F.

I dont use the injection any more just the brine and spritz

Good Luck and Be Blessed
                  X2 You can also add your rub after the brine or make it part of the brine.

The following is MY opinion only.

Dry cure on a whole bird with dry rub won't penetrate ALL the meat in 24 hours.

Keep in mind a "Brine" is not a "cure" but it "may" contain cure. (This opens up the can of worms)

I just think it easier to remember the 3 "4's" 40 to 140 in 4 than it is to remember how many parts per million of cure in water.

Comment

A Brine "Cured" Chicken or Turkey is not like any Chicken you had, unless you had a "Brine Cured Chicken or Turkey".
                    When completely Cured Properly, just like Bacon, you don't have to worry about the 4 hour rule in the Danger Zone. You can slow smoke it just like Bacon.

The Taste of a Cured & Smoked Chicken or Turkey is Freaking Awesome!!!

The only good Step by Step I know of is the one below, and this one is "Low-Salt":

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/9...-smoked-turkey

Bear
                    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Comment

OK back home..here’s Morton’s takes...
                      Attached Files
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        OK back home..here’s Morton’s takes...

You can't follow any of Morton's Curing things.

They show 2 to 4 hours in cure, but then they cook it at 375°.

That just doesn't work for smoking meat.

Their recipes are mostly all to be ignored if you own and use a Smoker. IMO

Bear

Comment

What I plan to do is put it in my rub .... rub my poultry leave for 24hrs then smoke in my uds.
                          yeah no sweat I do it all the time.

Your best bet is cure 1 or 2.
                          That way you'll never add enough extra salt to effect the rub.

Just weigh the chicken, work out how much cure for that weight of chicken and add that to the rub before rubbing the chicken.

I sometimes just add a little, rather than the full amount. basically as long as you don't add More than the maximum - it's all good.
                          You can add as little as you like.

Works great for boneless drummers and thighs

Curing stuff is as simple as weighing meat, weighing salt. combine.
                          No need to complicate things :-)
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                            You can't follow any of Morton's Curing things.

They show 2 to 4 hours in cure, but then they cook it at 375°.

That just doesn't work for smoking meat.

Their recipes are mostly all to be ignored if you own and use a Smoker. IMO
                            Sure it does. You can smoke it at 250-300. The cure used is not a complete cure all the time.. sometimes it’s a “flavor” step. And cooked appropriately.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              Sure it does. You can smoke it at 250-300. The cure used is not a complete cure all the time.. sometimes it’s a “flavor” step. And cooked appropriately.

Sure---You can Hot Smoke it, but you have to tell people that---They don't even consider Smoking being involved. They don't tell people that isn't curing things in their directions.
                              2 to 4 hours is just for flavoring, and if I give that to someone just learning, I make sure they still go by the 4 hours 40° to 140°, because it isn't cured---Only flavored. I've seen Newbies take one of Morton's recipes & follow the short flavoring time with cure, and then low & slow smoke it. Not a good thing to do, but they didn't know any better. Somebody just gave them the link, and they were off to the races---You know how that goes.

If they want to cure it & slow smoke it, they have to cure it properly with the right amount of cure & the right amount of time, like I posted above, in Post #10.

Bear
                              Last edited by Bearcarver; 02-17-2016, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X