X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
    yeah no sweat I do it all the time.

Your best bet is cure 1 or 2.
    That way you'll never add enough extra salt to effect the rub.

Just weigh the chicken, work out how much cure for that weight of chicken and add that to the rub before rubbing the chicken.

I sometimes just add a little, rather than the full amount. basically as long as you don't add More than the maximum - it's all good.
    You can add as little as you like.

Works great for boneless drummers and thighs

Curing stuff is as simple as weighing meat, weighing salt. combine.
    No need to complicate things :-)
    My attempt to answer the original question was to educate a "newbie" question. I was there and cure/brine confused me sometimes. I wanted to stress that a brine is not necessarily a cure.

I find it VERY difficult for me to believe that a cure RUB would properly penetrate a 2 inch thick chicken breast from one surface or get to every crevis of a yard bird in 24 hours (especially cure 2) . I can see it on "boneless" meat as you indicated but he is doing a whole bird (weight unknown)

My vote is still for anything under 24 hours is a brine and 4 hour rule.

Heck you can still keep the smoke rolling after 140.........

Comment

I’m again’ the Cure 2 suggestion at all. It’s not for what you are looking for. 2’s for long haul hams. salumis, etc..

You are looking for a short term “for flavor” cure. An OZ of #1 or so in a gallon of brine will do that in under 12 hours. Hmm about 50 PPM... will get it done.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

See, I knew i was kicking a hornets nest.

So now I will stir the pot

Please tell me what flavor or taste spectrum cure #1 fall into? Or is it a favor enhancer like MSG?
        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
          See, I knew i was kicking a hornets nest.

So now I will stir the pot

Please tell me what flavor or taste spectrum cure #1 fall into? Or is it a favor enhancer like MSG?
          No..it’s more..umm a “hammy” flavor...if I had to put a label on it. You know..that chicken lunchmeat thing as opposed to your roasted breast stuff?
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            No..it’s more..umm a “hammy” flavor...if I had to put a label on it. You know..that chicken lunchmeat thing as opposed to your roasted breast stuff?
            Well crud.... now i have another thing to try
            Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

If I want meat that taste like ham, I cook ham...
              If I want meat that taste like chicken, I cook chicken...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                I think it was you..who pork brined a turkey once?

Comment

No. Its a hammy chicken flavor. Its different.

I use a brine with #1.

Comment

I never cured & smoked one myself, but a couple years ago, my Son got a big Cured & Smoked Turkey from "Deitrich's Meats" (Famous Meat Smoking place). We had it that Thanksgiving & it was freaking Awesome!!!

Mrs Bear though it was still raw, because it was Pink all the way through due to the cure.

It was "Hammy", but it had a Great taste of it's own.

You'd love it----Probably make you spread your wings & fly around in a circle!!!

Bear
                    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                    X