Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G'day from Australia

G'day all,

I'm from Australia, 26 with a wife and our first baby on the way and love my tucker (food).

My hobbies include hunting, fishing, cooking, brewing beer and a bit of game photography and outdoor writing.

Always wanted to get into smoking, just starting to take off here in Australia, so thought I'd join up and check out some good eats.

I don't own a smoker and given we just bought a new house I doubt I'll be able to get the go ahead from the minister for finance.

I do have a bbq though and I'm keen to see if it's possible to use it as a smoker even if only poorly. Deer and duck season isn't far away, so I'll be interested in trying something smoked with them. The old man is still on the farm and will probably get some pigs this year so that's something else worth having a crack at down the line.

Anyway, thanks for having me looking forward to seeing some good eats!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Welcome to Smoked-Meat! We’ve a few Aussie members here. Interesting to see their takes on BBQ sometimes. Altho, it HAS become much more mainstream over there last few years. I have a BBQ rub/brine line that is imported there, so I have a few contacts. You guys have come a long way in a short time.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by GSPhunter_21! View Post
      G'day all,

I'm from Australia, 26 with a wife and our first baby on the way and love my tucker (food).

My hobbies include hunting, fishing, cooking, brewing beer and a bit of game photography and outdoor writing.

Always wanted to get into smoking, just starting to take off here in Australia, so thought I'd join up and check out some good eats.

I don't own a smoker and given we just bought a new house I doubt I'll be able to get the go ahead from the minister for finance.

I do have a bbq though and I'm keen to see if it's possible to use it as a smoker even if only poorly. Deer and duck season isn't far away, so I'll be interested in trying something smoked with them. The old man is still on the farm and will probably get some pigs this year so that's something else worth having a crack at down the line.

Anyway, thanks for having me looking forward to seeing some good eats!
      aboard from DelaWhere! What is your BBQ equipment?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

From Kansas...

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
        aboard from DelaWhere! What is your BBQ equipment?
        Most any grill can be used as a smoker using indirect cooking methods...
        The wise folks here will be glad to teach ya how
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

don't forget you can always make a drum smoker - oil drums usualy free from local garages.

Also often quite a lot you can do, depending on your existing bbq.

And welcome to the forum from the token pom :-)
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome all,

In aus we just call it a bbq but I guess the other name would be a 4 burner gas plate and grill?

Thinking about buying a stainless smoke box and doing it that way. I know it's not ideal but better than nothing I figure.

Any ideas on what I should get my eye in on? Thinking a chicken or some ribs.

Comment

I'd keep an eye out for a Weber kettle. They are soooo versatile. I love them. Yes, I have Weberitis...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Welcome from Florida!

A Weber Kettle is always a good go, specially if you're not cooking for a bunch of folks.
                Take a look in the "homemade " forum http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51

Lots of good idears for a home brew!
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Welcome aboard.

Comment

X3 on the Weber kettle
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                      I'd keep an eye out for a Weber kettle. They are soooo versatile. I love them. Yes, I have Weberitis...
                      You should see what Kettles are going for over...err...under there. Holy crap!
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

X4 on Weber Kettle

from Olympia WA
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, at the moment with two mortgages and a pregnabt wife my disposable income is just about in the negatives. But nothing wrong with planning ahead! which kinda opens up a couple of questions I wanted to ask anyway.

First one and I'm sure it's been discussed many times but I can't find a thread for it. Can someone explain the practical differences between a charcoal and gas burner, pellet and wood chip and an offset smoker? It's all confusing to me.

My only experience with this type of stuff is my uncle's charcoal rotisserie which was unbelievable. That was what I was originally wanting but that was a custom made thing thousands of dollars out of my price range.

Last edited by GSPhunter_21!; 02-14-2018, 03:45 PM.

Comment

And I guess the other thing I should is that generally once a week we have my wife's parents over sometimes her sister and brother and partners, and I put on bbq for mates and things so I really need to be able to make meat for up to ten people.

I'm interested in brisket, pork ribs, chicken, and keen on working with game too.

So what size do I need to consider for that?

Comment

G'day from Australia

I think your set-up lends itself to Santa Maria BBQ. You can probably find some good suggestions on websites devoted to that style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X