Eggplant Parmesan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by someAZdude View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance here but are you just sprinkling salt and letting it sit in a colander or are you soaking it in salt water and then letting it sit? If soaking then how much salt per water? Also, why do this? Thanks, looks amazing and I may try to make it as I haven't had eggplant parm in quite a while

I believe that would be sprinkling it--not soaking.
    Eggplant can be bitter, especially the big ones---sprinkling the slices with salt and draining can remove that bitterness.

That is what I'm assuming Keith did.

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by someAZdude View Post
      Please excuse my ignorance here but are you just sprinkling salt and letting it sit in a colander or are you soaking it in salt water and then letting it sit? If soaking then how much salt per water? Also, why do this? Thanks, looks amazing and I may try to make it as I haven't had eggplant parm in quite a while
      Like Bear said it's sprinkling with salt, preferably kosher salt, and allowing it to sit on a rack to drain. This helps to pull out a lot of the moisture and helps the slices crisp up more while they cook. Too much moisture in them would cause the breading/flour coating to fall off or turn to mush and make a soggy finish to the dish.
      There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

I've found these days they have cross bred standard eggplant with the more slender Lebanese cousin, I haven't salted them in a few years without bitterness, I'll throw some rub or seasoning and Evo or avocado oil on fresh cut eggplant and grill with great results.

My point is I think the bitterness is a thing of the past
        sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

Originally posted by dales133 View Post
          I've found these days they have cross bred standard eggplant with the more slender Lebanese cousin, I haven't salted them in a few years without bitterness, I'll throw some rub or seasoning and Evo or avocado oil on fresh cut eggplant and grill with great results.

My point is I think the bitterness is a thing of the past

Could be---I haven't had Eggplant for about 5 years. Mrs Bear always bought the big ones, which seemed to be the bitter ones.
          Hmmm---I'm way overdue for some!!!

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

As FIU says, the salting helps draw out some of the moisture. This dish is good reheated also. I don't know why we only make it once or twice a year.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Nice Keith! One of the only ways I can eat eggplant. Otherwise, too slimy for my liking! On edit, I'll have to give the salt trick a try!!
              Don

Humphrey's Pint
              Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
              Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
              Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
              Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
              Anova One Sous Vide
              AMPS
              Purple Thermapen
              Maverick ET-733
              DigIQ DX2
              Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

This is one of my favorite dishes to get at the Italian joint in town.
                Propane Smoke Shack
                UDS
                Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                sigpic

Comment

Looks great, Keith! I've only had this dish once at a friend's. I might have to try it myself sometime. Thanks for sharing!
                  Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                  Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                  1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                  Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                  Weber Smokey Joe
                  Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                  Pink Thermapen
                  Purple Thermapen

Comment

Good information :) Thanks guys
                    I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                      Could be---I haven't had Eggplant for about 5 years. Mrs Bear always bought the big ones, which seemed to be the bitter ones.
                      Hmmm---I'm way overdue for some!!!

Bear
                      The bigger they are the more bitter they will become because they are technically overripe.
                      If you cut into one and it has all the black seeds showing it is also overripe.
                      Also check for the skin, it should be deep dark purple/black and shiny, if it's lost its shine that's another way to know it is past its prime.

sigpic

Comment

Keith,
                        The Mrs's whipped up a dish of this over the weekend and damn were it good!!

We'll have more ready soon, along with some pepper roasting so you'll have to plan on coming over and stocking up.

Please thank your Mrs's for helping my Mrs's make me a damn fine dinner!

Comment

Glad you enjoyed it. Just give me a call when you're ready to roast peppers.
                          sigpic
                          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Re:

I haven't made too much Eggplant myself. Made Parmesan once, Ratatouille once, and most often slice it longwise 1/4 inch thick dip it in beaten egg, then in a mix of Italian bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning before frying it on a hot griddle in EVO. Served with a bit of Pizza sauce on the side.

That's about all I've done with Eggplant and would like to hear more about it. I thought recently about fixing it in a Dutch Oven on an open fire.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Originally posted by eDJ View Post
                              That's about all I've done with Eggplant and would like to hear more about it. I thought recently about fixing it in a Dutch Oven on an open fire.
                              Do you like hummus?
                              If so then ya gotta try baba ganoush, it's pretty much made like hummus but instead of chickpeas they use eggplant.
                              AND you can prepare the eggplant on the grill or smoker for the cooking process to impart some nice smoke or grilled flavor to the dish

sigpic

Comment

Re:

Definately up for that FIU

I've made Hummus many a time. Baba Ganoush I've tried but never attempted to make it.

I was at this place that made Gyros, Falafe, and Baba Ganoush and a lot of other exotic stuff. It was down by the University where that stuff can be had anytime.

I was just wondering if any of the folks here were really into eggplant
                                and had some thoughts to share.

I guess it's kinda like Okra. If you got someone who really knows the stuff
                                and you can learn a bit from them.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Working...
                                X