Spaghetti Alla Carbonara

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spaghetti Alla Carbonara

Well it's been several weeks since I made my Guanciale and decided a while back while it was still curing, to make this my first dish with it.

Started off with an 8oz chunk of Guanciale.

With cheese on top. (second helping )

Recipe:

1 # Spaghetti.
    8 oz Guanciale or Pancetta.
    4 eggs separated.
    2 tsp Kosher salt.
    3 Tbl Olive Oil.
    4 Qts Water.
    1 1/4 Cups of either Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano. (1/4 C set aside for topping)
    2 tsp minced Parsley.

The key to this dish is adding the eggs to the hot pasta and mixing it in, allowing the heat from the pasta to cook the eggs. Too hot, and you will have scrambled egg chunks. You want the eggs to "Coat" the noodles and cook slowly, making it creamy.

Here's how I made it.

First, separate the egg whites from the yokes. Set on counter so they come to room temp.

Next, dice up your Guanciale.
    Then, using a pot large enough, add 4 Quarts of water and bring to a boil. While that's happening, start cooking the Guanciale.

Take a fry pan and add 3 Tbl Olive Oil. Add the Guanciale and cook until Guanciale is golden brown in color and most of the fat has been rendered. Remove from heat and set aside. (DO NOT drain fat)

Cook spaghetti until al dente. Before you strain spaghetti, reserve 1/4C of the pasta water. Go ahead and strain the spaghetti and add the noodles to the fry pan that contains the Guanciale. Turn on burner and add the 1/4C pasta water. Cook everything for 1-2 minute, stirring constantly. Do not let noodles set as they will burn. You just want the pasta to absorb some of the fat and pasta water.

When done, transfer to a large bowl like a tupperware or warm glass mixing bowl. Add egg whites, 1 Cup of cheese and parsley and mix well until creamy. Then add the yokes and mix again.

Serve immediately and top each plate with a bit of grated cheese from the 1/4 cup of cheese that was set aside.

A really good dish. I would like to have this at a Italian restaurant sometime to compare, but both the wife and the son said it was really good.
    Washed it all down with a 2008 Red Truck Merlot.

Next time I do this, I will add and additional egg yoke or maybe two.

Enjoy.
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Oh wow that is great! would love to give that a try!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Outstanding cook! I like the mixing egg with noodles trick.
      Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
      Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
      SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
      Yoder Wichita
      Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
      Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
      Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Real Nice Todd
        sigpic

Comment

Nice job that meat looks awsum.
          That's more or less exactly the sa
          E way I make my carbonara, the proper way.
          I don't bother separating the eggs tho and I usually add super finely diced onion and garlic for a bit of xtra flavour.
          I sometimes add so
          E prawns simmered in garlic butter aswell.
          Again great job
          sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

Holy chit MH, I love that dish... it looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Yeah, that looks awesome. Nice job Todd.
              BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
              Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
              I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

That pic of the 2nd helping did me in.
                Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Nice dish, Todd! My wife's nephew came over from Italy several years ago for a two week visit. He cooked this several times while he was here and I pigged out on it every time. Have some pasta .
                  sigpic
                  Smoke Vault 24

Comment

2nd helping
                    Great looking pasta

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                      Next time I do this, I will add and additional egg yoke or maybe two.
                      Besides mentioning how tasty that looks the yolk was gonna be my only suggestion
                      There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X