110# Butts For My Boys Grad Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 110# Butts For My Boys Grad Party

Wow, I'm still wore out from it. By far the most time consuming smoke to date. Did it all on my UDS over the course of 2 weekends. Froze the first weeks smoke, thawed it and added it to the last one. Had approx 2 gallon zip lock bags left.

Started off with a rub I put together over 2 years ago. With a bit of tweaking here and there, its where I like it.

Next, scored the tops of the butts.

After 12 or so hours in the smoker, the internals were only at 180, so out they came and into foil pans to finish off in the oven. Oven at 210, let them bath till early morning. Had nice panfuls of liquid that I kept for Black Gold.

After the oven.

Pulled.

Now this post doesn't reflect 110# worth of butts, just one racks worth so go thinking them butts weighed in at 25+# each I ended up doing a total of 4 smokes over the course of 2 weekends. Also did some of Dutchs beans. 2 big tubs, one under the butts, the other under some ribs.

Rib smoke for dinner the first night. A rack of spares and some country style.
    Our local butcher got ahold of some really good CSR, the best I ever had. Dutchs beans under them.

Couple hours on the smoker, tossed em on the grill to finish em.

Grad party was a hit, everyone loved the PP. Got many compliments from others who attended several other grad parties, many said my butts were the best. That feels good They also raved over the beans, but then again, who doesn't like Dutchs beans? They freakin ROCK.

Some of you know my son was very active in wrestling his senior year, going the entire regular season undefeated, taking first at sections. All year we did our best to keep his healthy, avoided other activities that may cause injury etc. Boy made it to state as I posted a while back. Never did follow up on the results. 2 days before state, he comes down with the flu. Coach took him to cities where he would compete at the Excel Energy Center. We arrived the day before, coach pulled us aside, said Monty is feeling pretty bad. Almost 102 fever, boy caught the flu. Pushed fluids down him but there was really nothing that could be done. Had his first match and got beat by points. DONE Heard from a few other coaches as well as some dads that there was talk of him either taking second or possibly beating the #1 ranked in the state. We will never know. Luckily, the college coaches were eyeing him thru out the season with several of them recruiting him. Ultimately, he settled on St. Cloud State, where he will red shirt at 197#. GO HUSKIES

Well, thats it. A great smoke to end a great year school year. Thanks for lookin.
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Butt chops. You smoked butt chops

Gads... on a WSM

I gotta give perseverance for that...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Great Cook Todd!!!
      sigpic

Comment

Great looking porkage there! congrats to your fine wrestling son!!
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X