$.99, choice, or select

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $.99, choice, or select

When selecting a brisket what is your preference? Reason being while trying to pick a brisket to do I looked at the price and I kinda backed off. Mainly they just didn't look good seeing it was the end of day and the meat was pretty much all picked over. But after the creep bone thread I was interested on what your brisket selection would be and what do you think is a good price?
    If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
    Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

The answer is it depends.

Budgets are budgets, I would never say buy choice all the time. I don't do that either, it will run you into the poor house.

What I am saying is based on your budget with a little knowledge you can pick the piece that is the best for the money.

For competitions I am using Choice cause it will produce a better product unless it has been mishandled in the cut shop, or mishandled by the purchaser.

But for home, nothing makes me happier than going though the $2.56 per pound select brisket clearance bin and finding a nice fat cap, tight dense cut of meat. I look for the amount of water in the package, the fat cap, and I like to mash the meat and see how solid it is. If all three come back positive I will take a chance and see what I can do with it. Sometimes a homerun, sometimes tomorrows beef hash.
    Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Oh my!! Ever now and then (select) packers go for .99...Haven't seen one in 4-5 mo but when they do I stock up...actually the 3 freezer's are full but I can always find a place to stick-em'

Comment

Around here a smoked brisket is a treat...dont do it that often for a number of reasons...but when I do, I want it to turn out right. Every time. So for me, I'll pay the price for choice...if I have a choice...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
          if I have a choice...
          That's where I'm getting lucky lately- a good relationship with a local store that has an honest-to-goodness meat department.

I asked for a beef plate a couple weeks ago, and the butcher looks at me and says "Yer not OLD enough to know what a beef plate is"!

Guess it was all the rage in the 60's?
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

OK Gary, Please tell me Norm's carries Brisky's.

Originally posted by JustSmoke2 View Post
            When selecting a brisket what is your preference? Reason being while trying to pick a brisket to do I looked at the price and I kinda backed off. Mainly they just didn't look good seeing it was the end of day and the meat was pretty much all picked over. But after the creep bone thread I was interested on what your brisket selection would be and what do you think is a good price?

Comment

Thanks B for your answer it helped me a lot.

Jim we can usually get them @ Wal Mart but there not graded and all I can see is fat.

I stopped at a local butcher shop and asked when was the best time of the week to get a packer when they slaughtered and at what price. They wanted $5.99 a lb but they had corn beef they make in meat counter for $3.50 a lb. I left scratching my head on that one. So my wife got me Sam's card because I haven't been doing to much smoking as meat premium seems to have gone down so I just don't get nuttin anymore.

Comment

Thats the only place I see them WM. I have gotten a few good ones there but had to pass the last half dozen times I looked.

Thanks B for your answer it helped me a lot.

Jim we can usually get them @ Wal Mart but there not graded and all I can see is fat.

I stopped at a local butcher shop and asked when was the best time of the week to get a packer when they slaughtered and at what price. They wanted $5.99 a lb but they had corn beef they make in meat counter for $3.50 a lb. I left scratching my head on that one. So my wife got me Sam's card because I haven't been doing to much smoking as meat premium seems to have gone down so I just don't get nuttin anymore.

Comment

Lee I haven't looked there basically when I went there I would get all pork butt I just got in the mode to do brisket. I thought I was going north at the end of the month but my financial manager says I got to stay home. Seems in 2009 I over paid the native's again. I am really hurtin bad to get back there I am beginning to get the shakes.

Rich I used to work with butcher shop in Sandusky called Park Side. they treated me well and I got good meat from them. I took them some pulled pork and ended up giving them some rub they passed on. Then I was getting phone calls from other smokers who wanted to know what I did. Then I ordered a full packer and said not to carve on it. They trimmed all the fat off seperated the point and flat. So I never went back. I am going to check on some meat from a fellow who does my deer but since my tags are empty I did not see him this year.

Never thought I would see the day when wings, sirloin tip roasts, london broil, would climb so high in price.

Comment

we can usually get them @ Wal Mart but there not graded and all I can see is fat.

Enough walmart briskets for me. They usually only have "trimmed" here and that means overtrimmed and overpriced...
                    Ill buy choice packers from Dillons for less than walmarts ungraded...
                    The local (loco) butcher is WAY overpriced!
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                      Enough walmart briskets for me. They usually only have "trimmed" here and that means overtrimmed and overpriced...
                      Ill buy choice packers from Dillons for less than walmarts ungraded...
                      The local (loco) butcher is WAY overpriced!
                      Meat from Walmart? That's just gross. I did that once, and only once. I mean if you have to, that's one thing. The crap that Walmart sells is insanely high for the quality. Every Dillon's I've ever been to has good meat. Expensive, but good.
                      The processor that does my beef tells me that 85% of the beef he processes has the briskets ground. Tell me that doesn't piss you off or at least make you sick. I keep telling him I'd trade all my ground for the briskets from other people's steers, and he tells me the USDA would shut him down if they found out. Don't understand that, but what do you do.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                      X