Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Drum roll intro)......Behold the great mystery of the Derbyshire Bean ball !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rich wins the
    Prefrozen bean balls. Well mini muffins anyway.

Made the beans:
    cooked 6oz pancetta, reserved some of the fat and cooked a couple small chopped onions in that. Added some crumbled up dried wild horse mushrooms.
    I used dried mushrooms rather than fresh as they'll thicken the bean sauce up, while fresh mushrooms would thin it down.

Added a tin of baked beans (over 90% of all baked beans sold in the uk are in a sweet tomato sauce - it's how we like them :-)

Added some MH and garlic powder and some cbp. Next time I'll add some cubes of cheese as well :-)

These were spooned in a mini-muffin baking mould I have. It came from the pound shop (yes really ) and the silicon is very very thin. But as long as you stand it on something rigid - it works perfectly.

Once filled - and I judged it almost perfectly as I had only a teaspoon of mix left after filling all 12 moulds - it was put in the freezer overnight.
    Because this was a pretty thick mix,I could mound it up a bit too.

Also made up about 3.5 lb of bacon banger sausage meat to use for the balls.
    Only neede 2lb 4oz - so got a pound or so sausage meat to play with later.
    I'm thinking maybe keep it till I next make abts and use bits of sausagemeat instead of mango

Next day. Weighed 3oz sausage meat, pressed flat, placed frozen bean ball in centre, worked the meat round and rolled in breadcrumbs :-)

12 beanballs :-) 11 went back into the freezer to keep the centres frozen.
    And the other one went straight into the smoker as a test :-)

Worked perfectly. The trick is either cook entirely from frozen or soon enough after wrapping that the centre is still frozen. This way the sausage meat cooks and firms up before the liquid centre defrosts. And handle fairly carefully once cooked and hot. I had no problems or blowouts, but it wouldn't take much squeezing to get messy

Rest of the bbq was some marinated ribs, few big shrimp on sticks as an appetiser. Some butter steamed corn, garlic bread and potato salad with boiled eggs and cheese and marmite sasuage bits.

I only have pics of the ribs, balls and corn

It's always nice when things work exactly as you want them to - and this is definitely one of those.

You don't have to limit yourself to beans either. This would work for any liquid or semiliquid filling.

How about chilli, gumbo, grits (can't stand the stuff myself, but it'd still work) stew, soup etc. You could pretty much stick anything you liked inside a sausage ball :-)

And I'll suggest it before someone goes a head and makes them. Cooked chilli balls, wrapped in dough and then back in the oven/smoker till the breads cooked. A totally portable sloppy joe :-)

The beanballs are easily as good cold as they are hot - so great picnic/lunchbox food.

Also great to give to guests at a bbq. And just watch their faces when they cut into it and see the liquid centre :-)

One thing - try and keep the sausage meat fairly thin in releation to the filling. It looks much more impressive and a lot less like a small fatty.
    And I suppose someone will wrap some in bacon as well - Me I prefer the bacon on the inside.

Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-27-2012, 12:00 PM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

i was going to guess that the beans were frozen, then the sausage applied around them. excellent job on a creative project - they look great!

ron
      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
      Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

That would have been my guess as well with the partial freezing cause otherwise it would make one Hell of a mess trying to get those things formed.
        Looks great though and I don't even like beans but I would eat a few!
        Try some mac-n-cheese inside sometime, pretty tasty
        There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Yer good Alex... very very good! back, man!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

mac and cheese you could do - not a personal fan. But like I said, there'svery little that wouldn't work.

I think chilli balls just have to be next though
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Nice bit of bodger Alex, nize thinkin!!

PP says no, gotta spread it around! I'll get back toya.
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

CA, as we like to say here in the states... you fucking rock!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Cheers guys - without you lot to bounce ideas around with I'd not have made half the stuff I have in the last few years.

This one was a result of the latest scotch egg thread where I suggested freezing a fresh egg to get a liqud yolk interior. Occured to me that if it'd work with eggs, why not other stuff :-)
                  And that came to me because I read harold mcgee and learned that the white of an egg cooks at a lower temp than the yolk. It all kind of stews around inside the old noggin and gets stirred up when I'm talking about food round here :-)
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Great idea, Alex! Perfectly done, as well! Looks fantastic!!
                    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                    Pink Thermapen
                    Purple Thermapen

Comment

Brilliant!

I thought I remember you hinting about trying something like this in a different thread, looks like it worked out great. Very creative CA.

edit: no-go on the points. Gotta spread 'em around first. But I'll get ya on the reload.
                      Mike
                      Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                        I think chilli balls just have to be next though
                        That's a GREAT idea! Those would be soooooooo tasty!
                        There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

I like your imagination Alex. I'll be giving this a try with some great Northern or Navy beans cooked with the smoked ham shanks I bought a couple weeks ago. to you my friend!

Comment

Working...
                          X