Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **Inaugural western smoker bonanza**

Well not quit a bonanza but it sounded good...LMAO

Here are some pics from todays first smoke. I seasoned it last night and it was killing me to use it...temps from top to bttm are with in 5 degrees once the temps stabilize...Because of it being insulated I have to learn some of the tricks for controlling these babies. I did the regular minion method yesterday and let the temps get to high before closing it down probably around 250 or so. Well with these types of smokers that is to high I have been told to control it on the way up which I was kicking my self in the butt last night for not doing. Any ways I also am trying a different or tweak on the minion which is lining the coals and wood up in a narrow row and letting it go from the end..It has worked great so far along with chocking it earlier in the temps around 150 or so.

Now to the meat of things........this was a sorry excuse for spare ribs but beggars can't be choosy. Sprinkled with some MAD HUNKY and set aside...You will also see some dino bones which are sprinkled with Lantana of Texas all purpose and a loin almost split down the middle, also rubbed with lantana. thanks for lookin

charcoal in the basket

spare rib

all on one rack with a lot of elbow room

into the smoker

about a hour in

getting wrapped up with butter, brown sugar, green chiles, jalapeno jelly, chipotle powder

and the dinos

this smoker is at over four hours of running right now with about 2.5lbs of royal oak and 4 chunks of apple...I would say it is very efficient indeed...
    Jerod
    GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
    sigpic

Looking good so far GOT14U. Going to be a good day...
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
    KCBS CBJ

Comment

Hey Jerod, it's good to see you finally got her operational. Looks like those ribs a lovin' it too.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Wow... runnin' like a top, eh? Burns less than my li'l WSM! Nice!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

You mean we gotta wait for final pics?

Love the foiling ingredients and congrats on the new smoker
          There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Stay in it!....Man it'll be just right!
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Ok here are the final pics....it is still going on 2.5lbs of charcoal, I actually ran it a little hot do to a learning curve..I was figuring 10lbs for 8 hours. It is still going at 230 degrees and has been smoking for 8 hours...Ribs came out great the sirloin is still in. thanks for lookin

back into the smoker after removing from foil

all done

Jerod
              GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
              sigpic

Comment

Woo Damn, G!
                You had me at getting wrapped up with butter, brown sugar, green chiles, jalapeno jelly, chipotle powder...

I'm going to have to try that! The Western Smoker sounds super efficient - 2.5lbs of charcoal... hell I spill that much!

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Hey Jerod...Fantastic inaugural smoke on the new rig (and a massively awesome looking rig it is!). There is a bit of a learning curve on the insulated smokers, but don't worry, you will get it dialed in and it will serve you well. They are super efficient as you have found out, not to mention that come winter time, it will work just the same as it does now. I have smoked some fantastic stuff in negative temperatures with the wind just whipping. 2.5 lbs of charcoal is really awesome! How does the outside shell feel...does it warm up at all? Mine will get just warm...not hot, just warm. Definitely giving up some points for this one...fantastic build with superior craftsmanship, not to mention pretty quickly too!
                  BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                  Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                  I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Thanks man ! butter and green chiles only thing better is swine, oh well it went on that as well I figured I couldn't go wrong.
                    Originally posted by WALLE View Post
                    Woo Damn, G!
                    You had me at getting wrapped up with butter, brown sugar, green chiles, jalapeno jelly, chipotle powder...

I'm going to have to try that! The Western Smoker sounds super efficient - 2.5lbs of charcoal... hell I spill that much!

Thanks for sharing.
                    Well heck rich we need to fix that problem I don't think you should have to smoke in those conditions any more...You need your self a new smoker
                    Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    Wow... runnin' like a top, eh? Burns less than my li'l WSM! Nice!
                    Mine got hot do to no shade or block at all. And it was SUNNY today, finally. Last night at 240ish I could put my hand to it with out burning my self. It does get a little warm around the gasket area but that is to be expected. And thanks for the inspiration Dana
                    Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                    Hey Jerod...Fantastic inaugural smoke on the new rig (and a massively awesome looking rig it is!). There is a bit of a learning curve on the insulated smokers, but don't worry, you will get it dialed in and it will serve you well. They are super efficient as you have found out, not to mention that come winter time, it will work just the same as it does now. I have smoked some fantastic stuff in negative temperatures with the wind just whipping. 2.5 lbs of charcoal is really awesome! How does the outside shell feel...does it warm up at all? Mine will get just warm...not hot, just warm. Definitely giving up some points for this one...fantastic build with superior craftsmanship, not to mention pretty quickly too!
                    Jerod
                    GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                    sigpic

Comment

Just a great job GOT14U . Kudos and for a great show...
                      I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                      KCBS CBJ

Comment

F*%#?'{g - A!....... I knew there was a reason I saved em today.... Rock on Jerod! ..................
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks zeeker
                          Originally posted by Zeeker View Post
                          Just a great job GOT14U . Kudos and for a great show...
                          you too fishawn...much appreciated
                          Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                          F*%#?'{g - A!....... I knew there was a reason I saved em today.... Rock on Jerod! ..................
                          Jerod
                          GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                          sigpic

Comment

congrats on the first smoke, great build and fun to watch..............thx for sharing!
                            sigpic
                            it's all good my friend..........

Comment

I'm Jacked on your new build, sounds like the build is great, now just a little tweeking or learning curve?..... Just outta curiosity, what are your thoughts on how to control temps when you re-ignite that baby? Great work Jerod
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X