This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked almonds instructions

I use raw, whole almonds because while you are smoking them they are also being roasted.

1 lb raw almonds
    2 c water
    1 c kosher salt

Bring water to a boil, add salt. Stir to dissolve. All the salt will not dissolve. Let salted water cool. Add almonds, stir to coat. Let soak for at least 2 hours. Drain. Spread almonds and excess salt out to dry for a bit while smoker is heating. If you put them on foil on the rack or grate, make sure to poke holes in the foil so the smoke can reach the almonds. The rest is up to you.

As a guide, I started smoking them for about 3 hours at 250 using hickory. Lately, I've smoked them for slightly less time at a lower temp because they tended to be almost overdone and oversmoked. Don't be surprised if you hear them crackling while they are cooling. :D

Last edited by DDave; 09-17-2017, 11:13 AM.
    Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
    1 Maverick ET-73
    1 Green Thermapen

member #38

thankx dawn...........don't you also have a honey smoked almond recipe?

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

You may want to edit your recipe. It states you use Raw (SMOKED) almonds to start with. LOL I know its a typo
      Last edited by SmokinLee; 01-31-2009, 05:07 PM.

Comment

No, Steve, that wasn't me. I have done maple glazed ones and I've also done a brown sugar soaked batch. I don't see why you couldn't do a honey glaze on them. When I did my maple batch I smoked them almost the full time first, took them out, glazed them, then smoked them a half hour longer checking frequently. When they were a little darker brown, I took them out. If you do decide to honey glaze them, make sure to spray the foil with nonstick spray. Learned that the hard way. :rolleyes:
        Dawn

Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
        1 Maverick ET-73
        1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

come on girl post ALL them recipes..........don't be shy !

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Maple Glazed Almonds

Use REAL maple syrup. I use Grade B, it's darker and has a stronger flavor than grade A. It's not real easy to find. :(

Smoke the almonds as usual, but half an hour before they're done, take them out of the smoker and off the rack. Put them in a bowl and drizzle the maple syrup over them. Stir. Make sure they are all lightly coated. I would suggest erring for under glazing than overcoating them. If you haven't done so already, line the rack with foil that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Don't forget this step or you will be prying them off the foil for a long time after they've cooled. Trust me, lol. Pour the almonds on the sprayed foil. Spread out evenly. Place back in smoker for about half an hour. Watch them carefully! When they turn a little darker take them out of the smoker and spread them on more nonstick sprayed foil to cool. As they cool, seperate them. Be careful, the sugars in the syrup will burn you.
            Dawn

Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
            1 Maverick ET-73
            1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

MMMMMMMM almonds......
              sigpic

Comment

Those things should be illegal. I did 2 lbs. the first time, 3 the second and 6 this last time. And they're gone again. I'll need another fix soon. Lol.
                S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

where do you guys get your almonds? Only place i can find em raw, is at a Health Food store, who's prices are outRAGEOUS..........7.27/lb

Comment

I get mine at a local specialty foods grocery store for $4.49 lb.

The cheapest place I've found online is at:

http://www.california-almonds.com/ca...il/prod_3.html

It's $60 but it's a 10 lb bulk bag that is $6 per lb including free shipping.
                    Dawn

Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
                    1 Maverick ET-73
                    1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Ouch Dawn. I got my first ones from Fleet Farm. I think they were 4.00/lbs. Now I get them from Sam's Club. 10.00/3lbs. bag.
                      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

The ones from Sam's Club are not raw, Ray. They are already roasted. I can't see the sense in roasting the almonds a second time. That's why I use raw.

But, as long as the ones from Sam's Club turn out good for you, that's what counts. :D
                        Dawn

Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
                        1 Maverick ET-73
                        1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Originally posted by irishteabear View Post
                          The ones from Sam's Club are not raw, Ray. They are already roasted. I can't see the sense in roasting the almonds a second time. That's why I use raw.

But, as long as the ones from Sam's Club turn out good for you, that's what counts. :D
                          Huh. Said nothing about being roasted. There is some in a plastic container that are roasted and salted. I'll look again.
                          S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          UniFlame Gas Grill
                          Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                            Huh. Said nothing about being roasted. There is some in a plastic container that are roasted and salted. I'll look again.
                            If they are raw they will state it on the package, otherwise they're already roasted as far as I know.
                            Dawn

Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
                            1 Maverick ET-73
                            1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Thanks, Dawn!
                              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                              Pink Thermapen
                              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Working...
                              X