Finishing sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing sauce?

Hey guys I'm brand new to the forumn and smoking in general. I keep seeing the term finishing sauce. Is this the sauce you put on a pulled pork sandwich for instance or is it a sauce used to finish cooking the meat? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

It is normally a sauce you add to pulled pork (or other meats) when serving.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Many finishing sauces have a strong vinegar component. So it's best to put on the pork that's being served. If left on stored pulled pork on leftovers etc, it can make the meat mushy.

Comment

Only thing I do for Finishing Sauce is put about 6 ounces of Apple Juice in the pan when I foil my Butts at about 165° IT.
        Then the meat juices mix in with that AJ until the Butt hits about 205°IT.
        Then when I pull the Butt, I De-fat the juice, and use that stuff as Finishing Sauce, by adding it to the Pulled Pork after the Fat is removed.

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

A finishing sauce makes a big difference in the flavor and moisture of pulled pork. I use one every time I make pulled pork. Here is a simple finishing sauce that I've been using for years:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
          2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
          1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
          1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
          1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it dissolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients. I put it one of those clear squirt bottles ($0.99 at the grocery store). I had to cut the tip off a little wider so the red pepper flake seeds would not clog it, but just put your finger over the cut end and shake before using.

I add it as the pork is being pulled and it can also be added when served if you want to do it that way. You could use any similar rub, but the version I was given used Tony Chachere's seasoning and that is what I stuck with.

Easy and inexpensive to make, and worth trying....
          Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Originally posted by nogoodreezen View Post
            Hey guys I'm brand new to the forumn and smoking in general. I keep seeing the term finishing sauce. Is this the sauce you put on a pulled pork sandwich for instance or is it a sauce used to finish cooking the meat? Thanks.

First off :

To an awesome place to learn and share !!! Great folks in this here place

In my mind I see a " finishing sauce " as having a bit of vinegar in it. That works best when applied for serving.
            Phil

Fun Tune , She's a Smoker
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiCrcV_R9o

Comment

Let me add a clarification to my earlier post.....

I add it when pulled if the pork is going to be served "now". If it's extra pulled pork, or I'm smoking several with some for today and the rest to vacuum pack and freeze. I don't add the finishing sauce to the pork I'm saving for later. But I do add some when it is thawed and reheated, just prior to serving. It takes the same amount of time and fuel to smoke 1 butt as it does 4 in my WSM, so I usually like to do at least 2 butts so I can save some for later.

So yes, it is added at the time of serving the pulled pork (be it fresh off the smoker, or re-heated)
              Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Originally posted by dward51 View Post
                Let me add a clarification to my earlier post.....

I add it when pulled if the pork is going to be served "now". If it's extra pulled pork, or I'm smoking several with some for today and the rest to vacuum pack and freeze. I don't add the finishing sauce to the pork I'm saving for later. But I do add some when it is thawed and reheated, just prior to serving. It takes the same amount of time and fuel to smoke 1 butt as it does 4 in my WSM, so I usually like to do at least 2 butts so I can save some for later.

So yes, it is added at the time of serving the pulled pork (be it fresh off the smoker, or re-heated)

Exactly!!
                WE only eat a little at a time, and I actually add my De-fatted Juices on a "per Sammy" Basis, just before it goes in the roll.

Then if we Freeze Leftover Pulled Pork, I freeze the Juices in Ice Cube Trays & put them in the Freezer in a Baggie. Works Great !!

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by dward51 View Post
                  A finishing sauce makes a big difference in the flavor and moisture of pulled pork. I use one every time I make pulled pork. Here is a simple finishing sauce that I've been using for years:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
                  2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
                  1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
                  1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
                  1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it dissolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients. I put it one of those clear squirt bottles ($0.99 at the grocery store). I had to cut the tip off a little wider so the red pepper flake seeds would not clog it, but just put your finger over the cut end and shake before using.

I add it as the pork is being pulled and it can also be added when served if you want to do it that way. You could use any similar rub, but the version I was given used Tony Chachere's seasoning and that is what I stuck with.

Easy and inexpensive to make, and worth trying....
                  X2 as I've been using it for I don't know how long. I've only ever known one person that doesn't like it.

As for the issue of before after, I agree to add it while you eat it, don't mix and save for later. Vinegar will change some stuff given time.
                  Pete
                  Large BGE
                  Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Thanks for the clarification guys. That is how I did it this weekend. My kids bought me a small, vertical smoker for father's day this year. I must be doing something right because my wife is already talking about buying a larger smoker. I think I'm about to buy an Oklahoma Joe's Highland and throw a few upgrades at it. I've always loved to grill but this is a whole new ballgame. I've already learned a ton from reading this forumn. There is a lot of great looking food on here.

Comment

Working...
                    X