Chinese Chili Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese Chili Oil

Well, I eat a lot of Thai and then some Chinese food and love it. Even eat Japanese food on occasion. That said, we do a good deal of cooking it ourselves.

One of the many things I enjoys about Asian cooking are the spices. So, when I am at a restaurant, I always ask for the spice tray. I have a ton of spices at home but what I don't have at home is Hot Chili Oil. It's very common between Thai and Chinese.

Well, I figured I'd try and make some. How hard can it be, right I found out and there is a side story here.

So, it seems this is like making a sandwich of sorts as there are only a billion ways to do it. So, here's what I did:

1/4 cup peanuts, basically crushed
    2 cups of Vegetable oil
    1/2 cup of fresh ground, dried Thai Peppers
    1 Tbl of Sichuan Peppercorns
    2 Bay Leaves
    A pinch of KS
    1 Tbl of Sesame Oil (after the oil cools)
    1 tsp Garlic Powder (after the oil cools)
    1 Tbl of Smitty's (after the oil cools)

I added the peppercorns and the bay leaves to the oil as I was heating it. Leave both of them in there until you pour the oil out. The oil is actually the hard part. Too hot and you burn everything else. Too low, and it doesn't get cooked. My first shot, I let it get too hot and burned it

Before you pour the oil, you want to scoop out the bay leaves and peppercorns and throw them away. Then, slowly pour the oil into the dried peppers and peanuts. This will flair up a bit as it will cook the ingredients so make sure you stir the oil and don't be caught by surprise when it basically boils. I have been told to try and do all of this in a ceramic container as some glass will break when the oil hits.

P.S. a good vent fan or doing this outside is a major plus

Anyway, we had a stir-fry dinner last night that we have every so often. I used the oil and it made the meal SO much better. I was in heaven!

I am told the oil will last up to 6 months in the fridge. It was well worth my time. Here's a video I watched as well as looking at many recipes. You'll see I took things form other places but this gives you a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlIiADdh-QY

Thanks for looking and give it a shot.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Very cool Pete! I'll have to give that a run bye!!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Thanks.....

In the mean time, trying to get used to this new picture stuff......is this better?

Edit, it seems so.
      Pete
      Large BGE
      Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
        Thanks.....

In the mean time, trying to get used to this new picture stuff......is this better?

Edit, it seems so.
        YES!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Good stuff, I make rice with it all the time but i buy mine luckily.

Comment

I love it Pete...
            I tried making Thia chili oil before...Both the cold method and heated oil method...Neither turned out the way i wanted...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Love the looks and list of ingredients. I have folks in the house that cannot eat peanuts, so maybe a swap somewhere...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

That looks and sounds very good.

I use it, but it's not worth my time and cost of ingredients to make it when I can buy it from several Oriental groceries within a mile or 2 from where I live. Plus I can try different brands and flavors.

Edit...I just Googled Oriental groceries and there are 17 within 5 miles and 13 of them are within 2 miles of me. I didn't realize there were that many and that didn't count the Thai markets that I know of 3 by me.
                I guess I'm lucky. Lots of good products in them to try.
                Last edited by BYBBQ; 07-04-2017, 09:44 AM.
                Jim

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                  Love the looks and list of ingredients. I have folks in the house that cannot eat peanuts, so maybe a swap somewhere...
                  Pistachio!
                  Mark
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                    Pistachio!
                    That might work... Thanks for the tip!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                    X