Chile con Queso Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chile con Queso Steak

I had a hankering for my favorite plate from when I lived in El Paso...
    Leo's #11 Chile con Queso Steak.

Most restaurants in El Paso serve Queso made with the stringy Mexican melting cheese. I found several knock off recipe's on the web and came up with this version, that my wife said was pretty close to Leo's.

1 heaping cup each of dice tomatos, onions & green chiles
    4 large cloves of minced garlic
    1/2 stick of butter
    Cumin & White Pepper
    3 small balls of Mexican melting cheese
    Fiesta Blend shredded Mexican cheese
    Milk

In a large pan sauté the tomatoes, onions, green chiles & garlic in butter dusting with cumin & white pepper. Add the melting cheese in small slices stirring constantly on medium low heat until it "melts". It will be very thick and stringy and to smooth it out add about as much of the shredded fiesta blend with a splash of milk little by little until you have the consistency you want. You have to cook it low and slow stirring constantly or the Queso will curdle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love it...
    No cheese like that around here that's for sure...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
      I love it...

No cheese like that around here that's for sure...

I bought it at HEB, in fact they had an HEB house brand but I got the Oaxaca brand, they stock it by the chorizo right next to the bacon, I'm sure you know where that is... if not you need to find a Super Mercado, they'll have it!!!

Comment

so the name of the cheese is Oaxaca, right? That's not the brand?

I'd love to try that , so here's what I found out...

Oaxaca cheese, a type of string cheese, is also known as quesillo. It takes its name from the State of Oaxaca in southern Mexico. This cheese is creamy white and moderately soft. Queso Oaxaca’s unusual appearance owes itself to its production process: upon curdling, many strings are formed. These strings are wound in such a way to form a ball of cheese.
        Oaxaca cheese can be used when strings of cheese are desired, and it melts very nicely and easily. It is often used for quesadillas, stuffed chiles, or other dishes when melted—but not runny—cheese is desired.
        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Chile con Queso Steak

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
          so the name of the cheese is Oaxaca, right? That's not the brand?

That's right, most the Mexican brands label it as Oaxaca, but the HEB house brand just calls it melting cheese, I guess because it's not made in Mexico. I think anything labeled melting cheese in a ball will work?

I'll never forget when we moved from El Paso to DFW and my sister in law invited us to her favorite Mexican restaurant. She ordered a Queso appetizer and they brought out what I thought was some cheese whiz with bell peppers.

After growing up in El Paso I can rarely find Mexican food anywhere else that compares.

Last edited by HornedToad; 08-20-2017, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Fine looking Mexi dish Toad! I'd try a plate of that for sure
            ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Looks good
              Jim

Comment

Looks good from here!
                Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                Yoder YS640
                Weber Genesis
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber Performer
                Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Dat Look GuuD!
                  Might maybe be on me list!
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

That's a tasty looking plate of food, I'm going to have to try it soon. Did you make the Mexican rice from scratch? Recipe?

Comment

Originally posted by TKOBBQ View Post
                      That's a tasty looking plate of food, I'm going to have to try it soon. Did you make the Mexican rice from scratch? Recipe?

I recently posted this same Spanish Rice recipe for 50 cooked in the oven under my post for Green Chile Chicken Corn Chowder in From the Kitchen forum.

For a small batch serving 4 to 6... in a covered pan on the stove sauté a couple of cloves of minced garlic in 1/2 stick of butter on medium high heat until golden brown adding 1 cup of basmati rice and continuing to stir constantly until the rice is golden brown. Add 2 cups of stock from the Knorr's "Caldo de Tomate Con Sabor de Pollo" Tomato Bullion with Chicken Flavor and bring to a boil, then cover and cook for 20 to 30 minutes on the lowest setting.

Sautéed Basmati is the key to fluffy rice!!! This recipe can be multiplied up for as many servings as you need.

I have another recipe that uses regular long grain rice and plain chicken broth with a small can of tomato sauce and a small can of Rotel for the flavor... but the Basmati rice with Knorrs Mexican bullion is better.

This Knorrs bullion also makes excellent Fideo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HornedToad View Post
                        I recently posted this same Spanish Rice recipe for 50 cooked in the oven under my post for Green Chile Chicken Corn Chowder in From the Kitchen forum.

For a small batch serving 4 to 6... in a covered pan on the stove sauté a couple of cloves of minced garlic in 1/2 stick of butter on medium high heat until golden brown adding 1 cup of basmati rice and continuing to stir constantly until the rice is golden brown. Add 2 cups of stock from the Knorr's "Caldo de Tomate Con Sabor de Pollo" Tomato Bullion with Chicken Flavor and bring to a boil, then cover and cook for 20 to 30 minutes on the lowest setting.

Sautéed Basmati is the key to fluffy rice!!! This recipe can be multiplied up for as many servings as you need.

I have another recipe that uses regular long grain rice and plain chicken broth with a small can of tomato sauce and a small can of Rotel for the flavor... but the Basmati rice with Knorrs Mexican bullion is better.

This Knorrs bullion also makes excellent Fideo!!!

Looks Awesome!

I think that's the same brand bullion I use when making rice in da cooker (chicken flavor)

Nice cook and plate
                        sigpic

Comment

Tomato bouillon??? I gotta find some of that stuff...I can think of plenty of times when that would work better than my tomato powder...
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                            Tomato bouillon??? I gotta find some of that stuff...I can think of plenty of times when that would work better than my tomato powder...

That's right tomato bouillon, not gold or silver bullion... I gotta keep an eye on that spell checker, of course it helps if you know how to spell first!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HornedToad View Post
                              That's right tomato bouillon, not gold or silver bullion... I gotta keep an eye on that spell checker, of course it helps if you know how to spell first!!!

I don't care how ya spell it...I need to search some out...
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X