Sam's Club series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam's Club series

I'm entered for the SC contest and was wondering if anyone who does comps uses heirloom (spelling) pork in contests? I've been reading some interesting things about the meat but also know it's going to be expensive to buy. I am really interested in the Tamworth hogs. If you use them what's your opinion and where do you buy if you want to share that too.

Thanks,
    Doug
    www.nopigleftbehind.com
    -----------------------------

Originally posted by gooose53 View Post
    I'm entered for the SC contest and was wondering if anyone who does comps uses heirloom (spelling) pork in contests? I've been reading some interesting things about the meat but also know it's going to be expensive to buy. I am really interested in the Tamworth hogs. If you use them what's your opinion and where do you buy if you want to share that too.

Thanks,
    Doug
    We played with using really high quality meats, and never saw a big difference in scores in pork. (we have seen a difference when it came to Brisket) Around these parts the judges dont seem to want to taste the meat anyhow. If it's not whacked out with over the top flavor your scrod.

Good luck with the sam's comp. We decided not to after last year.
    BBQ catering
    Competition BBQ team
    "Practical BBQ" Author

Comment

Originally posted by gooose53 View Post

Thanks,
      Doug
      I haven't used any of the higher grade pork products but I have tried Wagyu beef. My scores didn't improve much with the Wagyu and found that a high Choice was tasting just as good or better.

I am in the Southgate, MI local Sam's event. Having the competition in front of a store like Sam's is a brilliant marketing idea. In the local and regional I was in last year the place was just packed with people and all asking about what we are doing and where can they get some. I am looking forward to it and hope more stores get on board and do their own series.
      WSM and UDS - iBQ'n BBQ Team co-founder TheBBQSuperstore.com

Comment

Working...
      X