Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Send Us Your Best Barbecue Recipe Contest

From the Washington Post...

Grillers and pit masters, start your saucepans. It’s the Food section’s second annual Smoke Signals Barbecue Sauce Recipe Contest. Again this year, we’re looking for finishing sauces, the kind you use to glaze grilled meat, fish or vegetables just before serving or to serve on the side. We do not want recipes for marinades, rubs or mop sauces that are used early in the cooking process.

<article> Otherwise, the sauce can be any style, including but not limited to:

●Kansas City-type thickish, tomato-based sweet sauce.

●Eastern North Carolina thin, vinegar-based pepper sauce.

●South Carolina mustard-based sauce.

●Alabama mayonnaise-based white sauce.

●The wide array of exotic sauces that include fruit, coffee, etc.

The recipe can contain no more than 10 ingredients, none of which can be a commercial barbecue sauce. This year, red sauces, mustard-based sauces and alternative sauces will be judged in separate categories.
    We’re looking for entries from amateur home cooks, not professionals. That means no restaurateurs or caterers. No commercial bottlers. No one who otherwise makes a living cooking or preparing food. And no employees of The Washington Post or their spouses or immediate family members.

Recipes must be original, the sole work of the entrant.
    Measurements and directions must be precise and easy to follow, and should include:

●A brief description of the sauce and what it pairs with best.

●A list of ingredients, using numerical values for measurements; for example, 1 cup ketchup, 2 teaspoons Tabasco.

●Clear directions on how to make and use the sauce.

Include your full name as you would like it to appear in the newspaper. Also include your phone numbers, your home address (not to be used in the paper, but to verify your information) and your e-mail address. Put your name and contact information at the top of the e-mail.

The entry deadline is May 2. Prizes will be revealed at a future date; the winning recipes will be published in the May 23 edition of Food.
    E-mail your entry to food@washpost.com, with the words “SAUCE CONTEST” in the subject line.
    </article>

Not sure what the prizes will be but I will toss mine in.. What the hell!! It would be cool if someone here ended up winning.. That would be a feather in the S-M Cap..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

So we send them the "secret recipe" and they make "our" sauce...Hmmm. Seems like I've seen this before somewhere. I'll think on it.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

and they sell a cookbook with all the goodies in it and you may not get a small print submitted by
      Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
        So we send them the "secret recipe" and they make "our" sauce...Hmmm. Seems like I've seen this before somewhere. I'll think on it.

I consider mine good... My family and friends like it.. But if it would knock the socks off friends & family I guess I should have sold it commercially first..
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
          Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
          and they sell a cookbook with all the goodies in it and you may not get a small print submitted by
          Riiiight...

I wonder if they'll actually use the quarter cup of dog shit in the one i'm sending in...
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Riiiight...

I wonder if they'll actually use the quarter cup of dog shit in the one i'm sending in...
            Buwahhhhhhhhhhhh............

Comment

I am going to send in Jeff's recipe from the SMF.... if it is as good as he sells it for, I am going to win for sure
              Al

Comment

Originally posted by Blue View Post
                I am going to send in Jeff's recipe from the SMF.... if it is as good as he sells it for, I am going to win for sure
                Do It !

But does it have more than 10 ingredients ?

What the hell you may as well just make a sauce up and send it in. I don't often make something exactly the same way twice. Unless it is written down.
                But I pretty much wing the blackjack style bbq sauce these days :-)

I'm with ken - if you're not currently selling your bbq sauce or using it in competitions - what do you have to lose ?
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  Riiiight...

OMG!!!! Now I know what the "secret" ingredient is in the MH rub!!!!!!!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I was thinking sumtin with spice.like a lot of scotch bonnet peppers and some habs. it's a south western sauce.
                    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue View Post

I think Rich is already sending that one in. (See above)

Bear
                      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                        I think Rich is already sending that one in. (See above)

Bear
                        Awesome!!! LOL!
                        Al

Comment

Bear made a real funny.

Comment

Working...
                          X