11 Day Brined Turkey Breast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11 Day Brined Turkey Breast

Ok: Put the turkey breast in Mad Hunky Poultry brine on the 22 Dec, wanting to smoke it on X-mas day. Got called out that evening for a 9 day trip. Breast sat in the brine for 11 days before I could get to it (2 Jan). Opened the bag, no funky smell, different colors, and no "fuzz". So I fileted the breast, used Yardbird, and pecan. Fantastic! Was afraid to open the bag, but heck.....wont know until you try!

Opened after 11 days

Fileted

Dusted with Yardbird

On the Kettle with a chunk of pecan

Done to a medium rare to medium

After this experience, you can never over brine with Mad Hunky!
    sigpic

They do look right tasty
    Jim

Comment

I gotta admit *I* was nervous when ya called me up on this little science project.

Dang... even I'm amazed...
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Impressive...
        A bit risky but still if it was cold enough...I reckon it was good enough...
        Looks good to me...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
          Impressive...
          A bit risky but still if it was cold enough...I reckon it was good enough...
          Looks good to me...
          In the downstairs frig the entire time. Wasn't worried about that, just being so long not cooked. But, they do brine brisket for up to 4 weeks for corned beef
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crewdawg52 View Post
            In the downstairs frig the entire time. Wasn't worried about that, just being so long not cooked. But, they do brine brisket for up to 4 weeks for corned beef
            Well... technically..it's CURED for that time. No nitrates/ites in my brine. "Brine" is the wrong word used here for CB. Kinda like that's not a "fresh ham..it's a big pork hind roast".
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Bet it was really dry and tough to chew. Just sayin'... Love me some Richtee brine.
              sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't as concerned about the time as I was the "medium rare". I would think that you would want to definitely hit the 165* mark on that one.

Comment

Looks damn good!
                  sigpic

Comment

stuff is Magic I tell you!!!

looks good man...
                    luv me some chicken...
                    ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
                    ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
                      Yeah, I wasn't as concerned about the time as I was the "medium rare". I would think that you would want to definitely hit the 165* mark on that one.
                      Guess u dont know me vewy well................
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                        Bet it was really dry and tough to chew. Just sayin'... Love me some Richtee brine.
                        You lost the bet.............

Rich, loved it!!!! Moist juicy, very flavorful. I will say, he has given me some chix and pork brine. They both are worth it, and now, I know you can not over brine it!
                        sigpic

Comment

Hey BUd, next time share your 2 week wet aged green meat frankfurters, OK. Thanks man.
                          Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Looks good! And the extra time in brine should not matter as long as it stays cold. Once the salt equalizes it's just gonna sit there....waiting....waiting! Now if you put some citrus, pineapple or papaya in there, you're gonna have pudding when you get back to it!
                            Mark
                            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Thanks for confirming you can't over Brine with the MH Poultry Brine!!

Logging into my memory banks!!

Bear
                              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                              X