Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home grown brisket

Well home grown by someone else.

One of the guys that works for me raises a few cattle every year for some extra cash so I went in on halfsies on a 1/4 of beef with my boss. We split everything down the middle except the brisket with the agreement that I cook it and he gets half. Nice lean hormone free beef. It's some good stuff and even smells different than store bought. Has more of a "wild" smell to it kinda like whitetail. The only thing we don't like is the steaks have been kinda tough. Even the porterhouse was tough, but the burger is some of the best I've had since we were kids and got free stuff from my Grandparents dairy farm.

Anyway I asked the butcher if he could cut me a full packer and he said no problem. When I got it it didn't have a fat cap so I'm kind of improvising here. Also it looks like the "point" is kind of small and spread across the top of the flat. It's a good thing I've done a few briskets already or I wouldn't have had a clue how to trim this thing up. Since the steaks were so tough and this meat is so lean I'm planning on doing the Texas crutch with this one so it doesn't dry out.

Here it is fresh out of the package. This is the top (point) side.

And the bottom (flat) side.

The bottom all trimmed up.

And the top all trimmed. Best I could do with what I had and no skills as a meat cutter.

Forgot to get pics but seasoned it with course ground kosher salt CGBP and a healthy coating of Mad Hunky JAB. Got the Webber all prepped with a snake of coals and ready to go when I get up in the morning. More pics to come tomorrow.
    Attached Files
    Bored Guy Blog

So when do we eat
    Looks like this is gonna be great
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Out of the fridge and on the grill for some smoke.

Attached Files
      Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Well... one thing about a brisket... get ya outta bed early on the weekend Hopefully it tenders up for ya nice.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I'll keep an eye on this...I never have tried a brisket on the grill yet...I always go for the stickburner and use 10X as much fuel
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Well... one thing about a brisket... get ya outta bed early on the weekend Hopefully it tenders up for ya nice.
            I'm turning into an old man, I'm up early every day. Got up today at 4:45 and that was sleeping in.......
            Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
              I'll keep an eye on this...I never have tried a brisket on the grill yet...I always go for the stickburner and use 10X as much fuel
              Snake method works well for me. I don't own a stick burner so this is my only option. It's easy too since the only babysitting you need to do is to rotate the grate every couple hours so it doesn't get direct heat.

Got a batch of Dutch's wicked baked beans under it now soaking up some smoke and drippings. Man I love those things and I'm not really a baked bean fan.
              Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jailer View Post
                I'm turning into an old man, I'm up early every day. Got up today at 4:45 and that was sleeping in.......
                Hehehe..welcome to the club, sir
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Jailer View Post
                  Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  Hehehe..welcome to the club, sir
                  I get up at 4:30am to go to work. I figure once the weekend hits, I can sleep in. Nope. Old man yes. Sleep in no.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Problem with early rising is early goodnight

How's the brisket?
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK;662302[B
                      ]Problem with early rising is early goodnight [/B]

How's the brisket?
                      Yup, there is that...
                      And yes, how's the brisket?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Time for a major update!!!

Was a time when that really meant something
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

True dat!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Sometimes police cars, the fire dep’t... sometimes a plated shot. Diverse group here y’know.

Comment

Still no pics, I always forget until after the fact. Brisket was done pretty quick and put into the cooler for a nap. I've got an older Coleman that is a TEC unit that cools or heats depending on which way you plug it in.

Been in the cooler since 1:30 (2 hrs) and it's still at 195 IT. Should be perfect for supper time. I'll post some sliced and plated pics when we eat.
                              Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X