10 lb turkey breast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 lb turkey breast

I'm practicing to learn how to smoke a bone attached turkey breast for a work event, so I have a 10lb. one in my car right now that I plan to cook when it is thawed. This leads me to a few questions:

1. My smoker is electric and goes up to 300 degrees. Assuming I want to bring this up to an I.T. of 165, how long is it likely to take at 300 degrees?

2. Must I brine the turkey? What is likely to happen if I do not?

3. If I want to brown the turkey to crisp up the skin, do I pull the turkey earlier? If so, how many degrees early?

4. Any seasoning recommendations?

Originally posted by Lazarus52980 View Post
    I'm practicing to learn how to smoke a bone attached turkey breast for a work event, so I have a 10lb. one in my car right now that I plan to cook when it is thawed. This leads me to a few questions:

1. My smoker is electric and goes up to 300 degrees. Assuming I want to bring this up to an I.T. of 165, how long is it likely to take at 300 degrees?

I would figure 30-45 min per pound

2. Must I brine the turkey? It probably already has a 10% solution added to it.. What is likely to happen if I do not? if you do not have the 10% added in then it could get dry... brining does add additional flavors though!!

3. If I want to brown the turkey to crisp up the skin, do I pull the turkey earlier? Your skin should be okay at 300* If so, how many degrees early? If not pull at 163-5* and under broiler for a few minutes until crisp. should not take long and then let rest.. I like mine around 170-5* just to be sure..let rest 30 min covered!

4. Any seasoning recommendations?
    season as you and those around you like... if doing for a crowd not to spicy as most say they like spice but most like nothing hotter than black pepper...
    Last edited by barkonbutts; 11-07-2014, 02:51 PM.
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I'd allow 4 hours.

No..likely it's already had "X% of solution added" EG: brined

Wiat till it hits it's 165 and blast it ina 450 oven for a few.

Mad Hunky GP
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Woah, the time estimate differential between BarkonButts and Richtee is huge... Do I dare ask who is right? the difference between 4 hours and 5-7 hours seems like a lot (especially since I really need to have it done within 4 hours to keep it in the safe zone, don't I?)

Comment

Woah, the time estimate differential between BarkonButts and Richtee is huge... Do I dare ask who is right? the difference between 4 hours and 5-7 hours seems like a lot (especially since I really need to have it done within 4 hours to keep it in the safe zone, don't I?)
          good point.. 300* will put it closer to 30 min per pound... sorry...
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I did an 8.5 pounder a couple weekends ago, and it only took barely 2+ hours at 335ish on a kettle to hit 165. It was even slightly frozen inside, and low 60's outside.
            sigpic

Comment

I doubt it'll go 5 at that temp range..but it may. The cooler is your friend.

And no..the 4 hour rule is not really a concern here. It's a whole muscle meat and one only needs to hit 140 ON THE SURFACES. But no..don't dawdle... get-R-done.
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I've been tossing around the idea of smoking a turkey for thanksgiving. I've never tried this before. I have an MES 30 that maxes out at 275. I'd like to do a small 10 - 12lb bird.

Any additional tips you guys can provide?

Comment

Originally posted by blackwaterstout View Post
                  I've been tossing around the idea of smoking a turkey for thanksgiving. I've never tried this before. I have an MES 30 that maxes out at 275. I'd like to do a small 10 - 12lb bird.

Any additional tips you guys can provide?
                  Run it at max. Brine if you have the time (thyme?) Do not stuff... cook that in the oven with some poultry stock.

PS: Add some sunflower seeds to the stuffing. mmm.

Comment

10 lb turkey breast

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    Run it at max. Brine if you have the time (thyme?) Do not stuff... cook that in the oven with some poultry stock.

PS: Add some sunflower seeds to the stuffing. mmm.
                    I agree with all. Plus: Let it dry in the fridge uncovered. Your skin is already going to suffer so give it all the benefit you can.
                    ~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Dwain

Comment

For the record, the turkey turned out very nice. :)

Thank you to everyone for the advice.

Comment

For the record, the turkey turned out very nice. :)

Thank you to everyone for the advice.
                        So what's the data you recorded? Temps..time? Seasonings? It's good to have this info.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          So what's the data you recorded? Temps..time? Seasonings? It's good to have this info.
                          X2 Especially this thyme of year
                          sigpic

Comment

Took about 4.5 hours cooking at 300 degrees to get it from partially frozen inside to 170. This was only the breasts, so I do not know if having the legs and such on would have impacted the cook time. Skin was somewhere halfway between rubbery and crisp when it came out, but it tasted quite good.

I began by coating the outside with olive oil, and since I had it on hand, I did a fairly generous coating of Mad Hunky GP on to the whole outside of the bird.

I smoked using bourbon wood that I still had from the "gift pack" that came with my smoker.

Comment

1. My smoker is electric and goes up to 300 degrees.
                              Even though your electric smoker goes up to 300 degrees, chances are it doesn't stay at that temp. At 300 it probably kicks off and comes back on at maybe 250-275. That's probably why you had the skin issue.
                              sigpic
                              New Braunfels Bandera
                              New Braunfels Hondo
                              4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                              1-26" Weber Kettle
                              24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                              Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Working...
                              X