"You really can't cook Turkey without it being a little dry"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You really can't cook Turkey without it being a little dry"

Those were the words said to my son last Christmas by his girlfriend's dad. My son says, "I'm sorry sir, but I beg to differ. My dad's turkey is never dry." So Thanksgiving this year was at my son's house and included me my wife, my son and the girlfriend, her daughter, and the girlfriend's parents. I had pretty much decided that I wasn't going to fry turkeys this year. It's so danged expensive and the clean up is a lot of work. Not to mention that it was raining, so I had to put up the canopy as well. But I relented. I brined it in Mad Hunkey Poultry Brine for ~18 hours. Injected it with Tony Cachere's Creole Butter and fried the 14 lb. bird for 45 minutes in 350° peanut oil. Believe me there was nothing dry about any part of this bird. All in all 7 adults and one 12 year old and there was precious little of the bird left over. Another clueless person schooled in how to treat poultry.

One of my coworkers had never brined a turkey and I gave him my traditional brine recipe ( Kosker salt, brown sugar, pepper corns, spices) since it was too late for him to order Mad Hunkey. He also reported rave results.

It ain't magic, it just takes a little time.
    A few of my favorite things:
    Good Whiskey
    Good Food
    Bad Girls
    sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post

Quote of the year.
    New Braunfels Black Diamond
    18.5" WSM
    Weber Performer Deluxe Black
    18.5 Weber Kettle
    22.5 Weber Kettle
    Maverick ET732
    6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

Some folks just need learnin'...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Snarl that fella must be some shirttail relation to my misses. LOL Every year now and more years than I care to remember the Wife schools me on how I need to cook our turkeys. Yup you guessed it (Overcooked and dryer than a popcorn Fart)>

I have me 2 Thermo pens and a Chiefs alarm and she won't believe what they read. So WE eat Dried overcooked Turkey every year. She a Keeper though just know squat bout cookin Bird. LOL Rookie07

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie07 View Post
          Snarl that fella must be some shirttail relation to my misses. LOL Every year now and more years than I care to remember the Wife schools me on how I need to cook our turkeys. Yup you guessed it (Overcooked and dryer than a popcorn Fart)>

I have me 2 Thermo pens and a Chiefs alarm and she won't believe what they read. So WE eat Dried overcooked Turkey every year. She a Keeper though just know squat bout cookin Bird. LOL Rookie07
          Gravy Bro, Gravy.
          A few of my favorite things:
          Good Whiskey
          Good Food
          Bad Girls
          sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
          Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Gravy Bro, Gravy.
            Heh...

Rookie... PM me yer address and I’ll send you a quart’s worh of brine and roast up a chiggen. She’ll never have it any other way..and will be more receptive to the turkey treatment next year.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks Rich I need to place an order with you. I ordered some stuff a while back and it was GREAT !!!! I'll get one put together and have the Misses give my wallet back LOL Actually she lets me buy whatever I want.

She said she would get me a VacMaster 215 chamber unit for Christmas. Got ta love a lady like that Right ? Rookie07

Comment

Can't argue with that, Snarles!----I gave my Son another bag of Mad Hunky Poultry Brine, and he soaked that 20 pounder that I posted, and then Smoked it for 5 1/2 Hours in his Big Green Egg.
                Best Turkey we ever had !!!

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

And a willingness to pull it off before it hits 180° . . .

Dave
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Questions...?...none!
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Those were the words said to my son last Christmas by his girlfriend's dad. My son says, "I'm sorry sir, but I beg to differ. My dad's turkey is never dry." So Thanksgiving this year was at my son's house and included me my wife, my son and the girlfriend, her daughter, and the girlfriend's parents. I had pretty much decided that I wasn't going to fry turkeys this year. It's so danged expensive and the clean up is a lot of work. Not to mention that it was raining, so I had to put up the canopy as well. But I relented. I brined it in Mad Hunkey Poultry Brine for ~18 hours. Injected it with Tony Cachere's Creole Butter and fried the 14 lb. bird for 45 minutes in 350° peanut oil. Believe me there was nothing dry about any part of this bird. All in all 7 adults and one 12 year old and there was precious little of the bird left over. Another clueless person schooled in how to treat poultry.

One of my coworkers had never brined a turkey and I gave him my traditional brine recipe ( Kosker salt, brown sugar, pepper corns, spices) since it was too late for him to order Mad Hunkey. He also reported rave results.

I just have to say, this was the exact same comment at my house....and the exact same thing happened!! I LOVE IT!!! Bravo!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Good call!
                        sigpic

Comment

Love People and feed them tasty food, teaching along the way.

Great stories guys
                          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

I've got to say I've cooked many a Turkey and rarely was it dry,of course I've been using mamaws Turkey Broaster for years,it is older than me and still works fine :)

since I've had a smoker,I've had problems with the bird being dry,this past Thanksgiving I brined a Turkey for the first time,it was a pretty simple brine,salt,brown sugar,lemons and oranges,but the Turkey came out excellent in the smoker,a brine is the way to go with a smoker and a Turkey,or so i think anyway :)

Comment

We always brine our turkey and the last 4 or 5 have been brined in MH. I won't do it any other way.
                              I'm submitting this because it's day 2 for us of our Thanksgiving here in Canada!
                              Weber 22.5
                              Lil Chief
                              1950's Crosley Shelvadore
                              Bradley Smoker
                              Maverick ET732
                              Nesco Dehydrator
                              Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

Working...
                              X