Onion rings and Steak fingers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onion rings and Steak fingers!

My Sous chef wanted to use the Discada this evening. He's been on an onion kick lately and I told him we could make onion rings. Might as well do
    Steak fingers while the oils hot!

Onion ring recipe:

2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
    2 quarts peanut oil
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup cornstarch
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    3/4 cup light-flavored beer (such as PBR or Budweiser), ice-cold
    1/4 cup 80-proof vodka
    Kosher Salt
    sriracha to taste

(I didn't do the sriracha as the boys don't like the heat).

1. Separate the onion rounds into individual rings. Place in a gallon-sized zipper-lock freezer bag and put them in the freezer until completely frozen, at least 1 hour (they can stay in the freezer for up to 1 month).

2. When ready to fry, remove the onion rings from the freezer bag, transfer to a bowl, and thaw under tepid running water. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet lined with a clean kitchen towel or several layers of paper towels and dry the rings thoroughly. Carefully peel off the inner papery membrane from each ring and discard (the rings will be very floppy). Set aside.

3. Preheat the oil to 375°F in a large wok or a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and paprika in a medium bowl and whisk together. Combine the beer and vodka in a small bowl.

4. Slowly add the beer mixture to the flour mixture, whisking constantly until the batter has texture of thick paint (you may not need all of the beer). The batter should leave a trail if you drip it back into the bowl off the whisk. Add sriracha to taste. Do not overmix; a few small lumps are OK. Dip one onion ring in the batter, making sure that all surfaces are coated, lift it out, letting the excess batter drip off, and add it to the hot oil by slowly lowering it in with your fingers until just one side is sticking out, then dropping it in. Repeat until half of the rings are in the oil. Fry, flipping the rings halfway through cooking, until they are deep golden brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer the rings to a large mixing bowl lined with paper towels and toss while sprinkling salt over them. The fried rings can be placed on a rack on a rimmed baking sheet and kept hot in a 200°F oven while you fry the remaining rings. Serve the rings immediately.

Step 1 and 2 are very important. Removing the inner skin allows the batter to cling to the onion. I froze this batch for about 1 1/2 hours.

To remove the papery membrane you just run them under the water and move your fingers along the inner "hub" of the ring. Reminds me of removing the membrane on ribs, but way easier.

Steak fingers pretty basic. I bought precut fajita meat. Dredge in seasoned flour. Egg wash and dredge in seasoned flour and panko.

Removing the membrane

Sous chef testing the temp if everything.

Ready to cook

I have found that the best tool for battering onion rings is a chop stick.

Onion donuts!

Works great!

Sous chef always get the sticky finger job. And yes he washed his hands.

Enjoy!!!!
    Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

GOSM, (4) Mini-WSM, Mini-ZA, UDS, 1967 Casa Q, StoveTec Rocket Stove, 12" & 18" AMNTS, (2) Mav ET732,
    iGrill Therm

Very nice!

Oh, how I could go for a plate of that! for the Sous Chef

Comment

Nice, Very nice!
      I'm no Gynecologist
      But I'll take a look at it

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
        Very nice!

Oh, how I could go for a plate of that! for the Sous Chef

The Sous chef says Thank you!
        Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

GOSM, (4) Mini-WSM, Mini-ZA, UDS, 1967 Casa Q, StoveTec Rocket Stove, 12" & 18" AMNTS, (2) Mav ET732,
        iGrill Therm

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeCreek View Post
          Nice, Very nice!

Thank you!
          Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

iGrill Therm

Comment

Love it, looks excellnt and your sous chef has it going on... tell him nice work!
            --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
            www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
              Love it, looks excellnt and your sous chef has it going on... tell him nice work!

Thank You! I sure will!
              Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

iGrill Therm

Comment

Oh yeah, fine eats there if you ask me!! could go for both of those!!
                Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                Yoder YS640
                Weber Genesis
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber Performer
                Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Nice job looks delish

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                    Oh yeah, fine eats there if you ask me!! could go for both of those!!

Thank you!
                    Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

iGrill Therm

Comment

Originally posted by ez2b View Post
                      Nice job looks delish

Thank you!
                      Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

iGrill Therm

Comment

I never had much luck with the onion rings...have to give this a try. thanks :{)
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          I never had much luck with the onion rings...have to give this a try. thanks :{)

This works spot on every time. Keep your oil around 375-425 and you'll be fine. Removing the inner membrane is key. If you don't it will fall off during the cook and the batter separates.
                          Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

iGrill Therm

Comment

Wow Case, that's awesome! I love seeing kids pursuing the cooking arena... great job and for the Dad and young lad!!

Inner onion membrane removal... hmmm...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                              Wow Case, that's awesome! I love seeing kids pursuing the cooking arena... great job and for the Dad and young lad!!

Inner onion membrane removal... hmmm...

Thank you! He enjoys cooking!
                              Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

iGrill Therm

Comment

Working...
                              X