Would a rim on a disc wok be helpful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a rim on a disc wok be helpful?

Probably going to do a bit of welding this weekend, and I wanted some advice from the Disc Wok experts.

I have seen disks that have an inch tall rim on them to prevent spill over...Lid would rest nicely there as well. Do you think this would be a benefit (as I'm welding mine up)? Thank you in advance for your input and opinions.

Like this one...
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

I'm no expert, Butt I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express...

I would think that would be helpful. I don't have a disc yet, butt plan to. I say go for it.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

The rimmed version I believe would be a better design unless the quantity of food was always smaller amounts that didn't take up much disk real-estate. As mentioned it would also lend useful for a lid or grease screen. Just my 2 cents. Carry on!
      Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
      Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
      SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
      Yoder Wichita
      Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
      Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
      Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

I wondered if I should have gotten one with a rim too. So far one isn't needed with the cooks I have done. Actually if I did have a rim I would want a small section without it so I could just push everything over the side into a bowl which I do a lot rather than having to scoop everything into a bowl. Does that make sense?
        Weber Performer, 26" Weber grill, 18" WSM, UDS, Santa Maria Grill

Comment

Originally posted by Vermin99 View Post
          I wondered if I should have gotten one with a rim too. So far one isn't needed with the cooks I have done. Actually if I did have a rim I would want a small section without it so I could just push everything over the side into a bowl which I do a lot rather than having to scoop everything into a bowl. Does that make sense?
          Yeah, I was wondering about the food removal. Like I said, I don't have one of these yet, so I don't have any experience... still shopping... Where did you get yours Vermin?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

That makes perfect sense. Tracey (the owner of the original WALLE WOK) told me that he loves frying in his WOK as the concavity makes it so you don't need a lot of oil to do it, and then you can push stuff to the side to drain. If you had a lot of stuff to fry a rim would make this more of a vessel than a plate so you could have more oil at a time. Also, I usually don't do small so when I'm throwing on a large scale feed, a rim might keep stuff off the ground for me. I do like the idea of an open slot to push stuff through into a bowl instead of scooping it out.

I have a few disks to play with so I may do one with and one without.
            BBQ Eng.

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
              Yeah, I was wondering about the food removal. Like I said, I don't have one of these yet, so I don't have any experience... still shopping... Where did you get yours Vermin?
              I have the 22"BBQ spring handle design disco

http://www.southwestdisk.com/southwe...ng-plow-disks/

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                That makes perfect sense. Tracey (the owner of the original WALLE WOK) told me that he loves frying in his WOK as the concavity makes it so you don't need a lot of oil to do it, and then you can push stuff to the side to drain. If you had a lot of stuff to fry a rim would make this more of a vessel than a plate so you could have more oil at a time. Also, I usually don't do small so when I'm throwing on a large scale feed, a rim might keep stuff off the ground for me. I do like the idea of an open slot to push stuff through into a bowl instead of scooping it out.

I have a few disks to play with so I may do one with and one without.
                My last cook was a little over 11 lbs of meat plus veggies and I had very little spillage. No waste it just became pitpuppy privilege. My dogs have learned I'm a messy cook so they are always hanging around for something to fall!

Comment

My last cook was a little over 11 lbs of meat plus veggies and I had very little spillage. No waste it just became pitpuppy privilege. My dogs have learned I'm a messy cook so they are always hanging around for something to fall!
                  Cowgirl Hannah and Sidekick Bridget are on constant duty when I'm at the helm...you can see them "willing" stuff to hit the deck. I usually hold them off since I don't want them woofing down a sizzling hot piece of food. I also make them get back if I have a large pot of hot oil. Gotta protect them so they can stay safe to protect me!
                  BBQ Eng.

Comment

here is a lid

http://disc-it.com/product/lid/

I have seen the ones with the high rims. I guess it could be useful.

I have three of them none with the rim. One made from a used border disk which is pretty cool and is heavy. and two from Brazil that are made like a disk specifically for cooking.

it is so much easier to remove the food from the disk by holding a bowl by the rim and pushing off the side with the big spatula into the bowl. to me it looks like it would be a pain to try and get every thing out with the high rim on there.

those disk from farms are hard material and a pain to weld.
                    good luck.
                    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Here is what I have been wanting to build if I ever get the time

https://www.google.com/search?q=disc...naajNU6WEkM%3A

place for your finished product on one side (warmer) and maybe a place to set cooking gear on other side or another warmer

If you have time build one for me too.

DS
                      Desert Storm Vet - USS Midway CV41 - decom crew.
                      1930 Fridge Build
                      MES 30" With Mailbox Mod
                      Therma Pen
                      Maverick 732
                      Mini Therma Pen
                      Frog Mats
                      Weber Junior
                      AMPS & AMPTS

Comment

I guess it could be useful in some instances.

If I used one more often(I use mine very seldom), I would have a disc and one each of these comals.

http://tigercook.com/product_info.php/products_id/293

I think these would be handy.

JMHO-YMMV
                        Jim

Comment

I have the 22"BBQ spring handle design disco

http://www.southwestdisk.com/southwe...ng-plow-disks/
                          Kool... thanks for the info!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                            I guess it could be useful in some instances.

If I used one more often(I use mine very seldom), I would have a disc and one each of these comals.

http://tigercook.com/product_info.php/products_id/293

I think these would be handy.

JMHO-YMMV
                            I have one and think I have used it twice and have owned it probably 7 or 8 years. We I don't use it, I don't know I just don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
                              here is a lid

those disk from farms are hard material and a pain to weld.
                              good luck.
                              Tru-Dat! I started on this project years ago and then shelved it due to weld cracks. Check it out here...LINK

I finally bought some different weld wire to see if that will do the trick...along with getting some patience and my effort to anneal the weld area. Gonna grind out the old weld and then give it a go...again.
                              BBQ Eng.

Comment

Working...
                              X