No announcement yet.

Would a rim on a disc wok be helpful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

get after it Cat Daddy Engineer...i'm sure you have access to a roller for the steel...go mild...think yer on a mission...
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

forgot...saw one a cat did with the disc... the lip is......yep...he did like two 4" or 6"bit of flats with a small pitch angle to drain...he dragged it up there for a rest then pushed it back in when ready...those 2 flats were cool...
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I like the idea of the ring, I also like the idea of the scoop opening. Simmilar to the one build I was thinking about adding a drain train with some stainless wire to help drain.

I was just going to tack it every so often, I thought that would be good enough. I don't see the need to run the bead all the way around.

Comment

I thought it would be nice to have a rim, but neither of mine has one. If I did add a rim, I would add a bead all the way around, to keep the steam in when the lid is on. Both of mine are big, heavy used plow disks from local farms, and take a while to heat up well, but cook great when they do. I don't have legs on the disks, and can use them on a single burner turkey fryer stove, a Camp Chef, a charcoal grill, or set on rocks over a camp fire. A keyhole fire works particularly well, as you can make your own coals while you're cooking.
          I would offer a suggestion, to help hold the foods that are done first, add a couple of 1/4" by 12" weld beads about 3" below and parallel to the rim. You can then slide the food that's done up to stay warm, and out of the way.
          I use a wire Chinese wok spider, about 5" around, to lift the finished meal out, so getting over a rim would not be a problem . Scooping it out over the top edge, however could cause some of the fat and broth to run down the outside, and cause flare ups from your heat source.
          I got my favorite discada recipe from a web site called " Texas Cookin' at Home" and modified it to fit my family's tastes. We like a mix of beef and pork, and a little less heat. It's easily scaleable for your group's size. His step by step instructions and pictures helped a lot, the first time I tried this style of cooking. It's been a lot of years now, but that's still a good source of information.
          I have 8" long rebar loops for handles, and they never get too hot. Horse shoes look nicer, but are kinda close to the heat. If you have a round Weber grill of the right size, the dome makes a great lid for your disk.
          When I seasoned mine the first time, I cut an onion in half, stuck a long wooden handled BBQ fork in the rounded part, and oiled the flat part of the onion and rubbed the disk with canola oil til it got smokin' hot and the metal darkened (enameled) . A hunk of bacon, or fat cap might be even better.
          Good luck with your project and have fun with some leisurely cooking sessions. Awesome party meals await.
          Last edited by siege; 06-08-2016, 11:28 PM.

Comment

The last thing in the world I need is another piece of cooking equipment. And yet I'm considering this. I collect cooking equipment like many of you good folks collect Kettles. Its a sickness. I have a garage full of unused crapola. And yet I'm considering this.

Here's what I do know. I own 3 burner and 2 burner Camp Chef propane stoves. I bought griddles for each. The 3 burner griddle has a "lip". The 2 burner griddle does not. I will not use the 2 burner griddle. It makes to much of a mess.
            sigpic
            Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
            -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
            -AMNPS
            -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
            gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
              along with getting some patience and my effort to anneal the weld area. Gonna grind out the old weld and then give it a go...again.
              Toss that puppy in your 4th party fire pit when ya light it up. Couple days later it’ll be fine
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                Tru-Dat! I started on this project years ago and then shelved it due to weld cracks. Check it out here...LINK

I finally bought some different weld wire to see if that will do the trick...along with getting some patience and my effort to anneal the weld area. Gonna grind out the old weld and then give it a go...again.
                Most of the ones i have seen around here have the cracks. and most are pretty old.

try using a 7018 low hydrogen rod instead of the wire.

btw you do very good work.
                sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

I will not buy a disc...
                  I will not buy a disc...
                  I will not buy a disc...

I like the idea of a rim with an open area. I don't have one, just adding my 2 scents.
                  Mustang electric smoker
                  King Kooker vertical gasser
                  Charbroil silver smoker
                  Earnhardt Jr smoker
                  Brinkman smoke n' grill
                  a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Originally posted by shellbellc View Post
                    I will not buy a disc...
                    I will not buy a disc...
                    I will not buy a disc...

I like the idea of a rim with an open area. I don't have one, just adding my 2 scents.
                    Never say never... I didn't think I'd buy a paella pan... now I have two. Shit happens...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                      Never say never... I didn't think I'd buy a paella pan... now I have two. Shit happens...
                      LOL...I've been fighting the paella pan urge for a few years now.
                      Mustang electric smoker
                      King Kooker vertical gasser
                      Charbroil silver smoker
                      Earnhardt Jr smoker
                      Brinkman smoke n' grill
                      a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Originally posted by shellbellc View Post
                        LOL...I've been fighting the paella pan urge for a few years now.
                        Well, I got one that fits the 22.5 Weber, then got one that fits the 18.5 Weber to take to the cottage. Love it. Order one. Or two...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Welllll, this is my "disk/wok". Stainless steel, made by Weber (used to be, no longer), was a gift from a friend cleaning oot his garage.

Works real nice on a 22" Weber, lid fits on tooo!

Sadly they don't make them anymore.

If I had a "real" disk, I would want the lip with an opening!
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

We built a few at work while I have been on nights the past 9 weeks. All of them we put a lip around. I made mine out of a 24" plow disc and put a 2" lip around it. The first discada we made came out great and the lip/rim made it easy to keep everything from flying off the edge. I dont think I would do it any other way.
                            Arron W.

YS 640
                            Primo Oval XL
                            Lone Star Grillz 30x36 cabinet smoker
                            Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
                            Weber Copper Top
                            Old Smokey
                            Orion
                            Gasser
                            2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
                            24" Disco with custom burner
                            Red Thermapen
                            2-Maverick ET-733
                            Orange Thermoworks Smoke

R.I.P my little buddy Zazu. 10/4/2020. We miss you.
                            sigpic

Comment

I don't have one, but I like the idea of the rimmed version with a "diving board" on the side. Might make it harder to find a lid to fit, but since you are able to make one from scratch that might be less of an issue. Here is what I'm talking about (from a google image search)

Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

While looking for that photo of a disco with a diving board, I also found this. Stainless steel model for $45. Looks interesting for someone not equipped to build their own who might already have a burner. But I know nothing of the seller site.

http://tigercook.com/product_info.php/products_id/293

They also make a convex model. Not totally certain what the advantage to being convex is, but it's on the same URL as the other one, both are stainless.

Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Working...
                                X