Opinions wanted on scoring vs. removal of rib membrane please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
    In addition to a fresh paper towel. Actually I don’t even need the knife. The towel will grab an edge. ZIP!
    ^^^ ^^^ Paper towel makes it very easy to remove
    Jim

Comment

In addition to a fresh paper towel. Actually I don’t even need the knife. The towel will grab an edge. ZIP!
      Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
      ^^^ ^^^ Paper towel makes it very easy to remove
      Never had much luck trying to start oot with just a dry paper towel. I always get it started prying up an edge with the butter knife, then using the paper towel method.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I am not a spare rib fan but when I do baby backs I always pull the membrane. Same on beef ribs. You could use that membrane to patch a tire.

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
          Never had much luck trying to start oot with just a dry paper towel. I always get it started prying up an edge with the butter knife, then using the paper towel method.
          Play with it..just start at the “large” end and it’ll ‘tease up” with a little practice.I remember a rib burn years ago..I was watching a guy with a paring knife tryin’ to remove the membrane. After about 10 mins on his first slab I walked over and asked if I could help. Grabbed the next slab..tease, tug..ZIP. He about died.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Play with it..just start at the “large” end and it’ll ‘tease up” with a little practice.I remember a rib burn years ago..I was watching a guy with a paring knife tryin’ to remove the membrane. After about 10 mins on his first slab I walked over and asked if I could help. Grabbed the next slab..tease, tug..ZIP. He about died.
            Isle give it a go. Just so happens I have a couple BB's in the freeze awaiting their thyme.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I'm on the butter knife and paper towel team...

Just peeled the one that I put on my spinner...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post

Just peeled the one that I put on my spinner...
                Been doin' that for years..

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                    Noobs...
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Back when my Dad did "BBQ" ribs on the grill or rotisserie he didn't worry aboot pulling the membrane. In fact it was one of my favorite parts of the ribs. The ribs would come oot with a nice crispy bark.
                      Now that I'm "enlightened" & cook up the ribs low & slow I always do the peel. I had been doing the butter knife method bhut I think I'll give Rich's "Grip it & rip it" a try...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
                        Back when my Dad did "BBQ" ribs on the grill or rotisserie he didn't worry aboot pulling the membrane. In fact it was one of my favorite parts of the ribs. The ribs would come oot with a nice crispy bark.
                        Now that I'm "enlightened" & cook up the ribs low & slow I always do the peel. I had been doing the butter knife method bhut I think I'll give Rich's "Grip it & rip it" a try...
                        And that's what I was getting at...At higher temps the tough membrane doesn't stay as tough...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

This is what I use also.
                          sigpic

USAF 1982-2008 Desert Storm Vet
                          American Legion Riders
                          Patriot Guard Riders

Comment

I've done it both ways, and definitely prefer it off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

if I'm doing a whole rack from scratch - I usually take the membrane off - the dogs like it and they ain't getting any of the meat :-)

Recently I've been buying ready marinated rib-tips. I tweak them and theyre pretty good - lots more meat and cheaper than buying the skinny little racks you get over here, some have very little bone. Some are like mini racks. Never bother removing the membrane.
                              Can't say it makes much difference
                              I'm a bone chewer, so I like the cooked membrane.

But honestly - I don;t think it matters one way or the other.
                              And yep - blunt knife or the end of a teaspoon and kitchen paper makes it very simple.

Scoring the membrane ? why
                              It's actually quicker to remove it. Just can't see why you'd bother scoring it. either take it off or leave it alone.
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Interesting---Did you play with his first too?

Bear
                                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                                X