Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graham Cracker "Crack" with Oreo topping

Graham Cracker "crack" with Oreo topping

• 1 sleeve of honey graham crackers plus 3 sheets (I used the ones that are rectangular and each sheet is two of the squares, same as Nabisco Honey Maid Graham Crackers)
    • 1 cup of butter (2 sticks)
    • 1 cup of packed, dark brown sugar
    • 2 cups of good quality dark chocolate or chips (I used a 10oz pack of Ghiradelli dark melting wafers)
    • 1 1/2 rows of regular Oreo cookies, crushed (Oreo brand, mine came with 3 rows in a package)

1) Pre-heat the oven to 400*.

2) While oven is line a sheet pan with a raised rim with aluminum foil (I also lined the foil with parchment paper as sometimes the toffee will stick to the aluminum). Break the sheets of graham crackers into squares and place them on the foil/parchment paper.

3) Melt the butter in a pot on the range, and when melted add the dark brown sugar. Stir constantly and heat until it starts to boil. Continue stirring and boil for 4 minutes at a good rolling boil. Do not walk away as the sugar can burn and stick if you do.

4) Pour the molten sugar/butter mixture over the graham crackers and even out with a spatula. The mixture will self-level as it continues to cook in the oven so just do a general job of spreading the mixture with the spatula.

5) Put tray of crackers and butter/sugar mixture into the 400* oven for 6 minutes. The toffee should continue to cook.

6) While the crackers are cooking in the oven, put the 1 1/2 rows of Oreo cookies (standard stuff - regular Oreo is what I used, used them whole with the cream filling intact) into a gallon zip lock bag. Coarsely crush the cookies with a rolling pin or other object. I left some good sized chunks in mine.

7) Remove tray of crackers and butter/sugar (now hot molten toffee) and sprinkle the melting chips or chocolate chips evenly over the hot toffee. The chocolate will start to soften and melt. Use the spatula to evenly spread the melted chocolate.

8) Top the still melted chocolate with the crushed Oreo cookies. The Oreo cream filling will somewhat melt into the chocolate.

9) Place on a rack to cool. Once the pan is cool enough to pick by hand you can move it to the fridge or outside if it's cold enough and let the toffee and chocolate firmly set.

10) Remove the sheet of cracker/toffee/oreo from the pan and the foil and parchment should easily release from the back of the "crack". Depending on how hard your toffee set, you can break into irregular shaped pieces or break into the graham cracker squares.

11) Time to eat!!!!! Try and just eat one.... no can do.

----------------------------------------------------------

It sounds like a lot of steps, but this is a pretty detailed step by step version. It's really a simple process and easy to remember. The original recipe I found years ago was called Cracker Toffee, and you can make a dozen variations of this. We have been using Ritz crackers instead of Saltines as they have a buttery flavor. I recently started using club crackers as they have more flavor than Saltines, but they are square so you have less voids than when using the Ritz. But to me, Honey Graham is the best of them all. The wife makes "Christmas Crack" with crushed candy cane peppermint pieces on top for her office. I can also envision a version with crumbled bacon on top of the chocolate, but that's just the way I think.
    Last edited by dward51; 12-23-2016, 01:27 PM.
    Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Bit on the sweet side fer me but I bettin is taste purty darn good!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I'm definitely gonna try this version...got everything at home 'cept the Oreos. I know this is gonna be great.

for the new spin on this...I just love the creativity of this place.
      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

SWEET! I called my doctor and dentist ahead of thyme to make an appointment...
        I like this twist!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

got the gig recipe to Louie for her Church group ladies & youth group... i ain't much on the sweet stuff...do like that recipe!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Kick ass recipe. Made three variations and all were inhaled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Those have to be great!
              sigpic

Comment

Bump! Make it now!
                BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Working...
                X