Brisket for burgers/ sausage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisket for burgers/ sausage?

Briskets are on sale for $1.77/lb in the bag. Was thinking about picking one up to trim and grind for burgers, meatloaf and possibly Summer sausage. Worth the effort?
    Thanks
    Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if I would use just brisket, I have mixed it with sirloin and or chuck before. Need some "softer" fat in there.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I buy briskets and grind them up for ground beef. I usually cut off the big knuckle of fat, slice it all up into chunks, chill for a bit then grind and vacuum seal and freeze. I use it for burgers and it's great. Making ground beef dishes, whatever. It works out good. Decent fat ratio. Works out good for us and it's way cheaper than ground beef in the store...and you know whats in it.
      Arron W.

YS 640
      Primo Oval XL
      Lone Star Grillz 30x36 cabinet smoker
      Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
      Weber Copper Top
      Old Smokey
      Orion
      Gasser
      2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
      24" Disco with custom burner
      Red Thermapen
      2-Maverick ET-733
      Orange Thermoworks Smoke

R.I.P my little buddy Zazu. 10/4/2020. We miss you.
      sigpic

Comment

I grind briskets for burger too. Then can the meat for future meals.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...brisket+burger

Living in the middle of nowhere, it's nice to have shelf stable meat on hand.

jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cowgirl View Post
          THAT is a money shot right there!

I always use chuck roll for ground beef. Never occurred to me about brisket, due to the cost of it anymore around here.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

At that price I would grind one or three and find out...Can't be that bad...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
              At that price I would grind one or three and find out...Can't be that bad...
              Yeah, really. Brisket around here is at best $4.00 to $6.00 a pound. Ridiculous.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Thanks guys. Going to give it a go and will update with my results

Comment

Ok. So I missed picking up a brisket last week before the sale was over at $1.77/lb. Was at the store today and lo and behold, choice briskets whole in the bag was on sale for $1.49/lb. Took 2 home with me. One to grind and the other to smoke next weekend, hopefully with better results than my previous attempts. 13.9#s was the weight listed on the tag. Trimmed the larger hunks of fat and ended up with 9.33#s for a final price of $2.22/lb. And the enjoyment of trimming and grinding which for some reason I find relaxing. Not sure of the fat content, I might grill up a 1/2# burger and weigh after cooking just for kicks but we will see if I actually do it. 4#s of the grind went into meatloaf which is currently on the Weber as meatloaf, balance will be patties and bulk. Dinner will be a bit late but I have a 12 pack to help pass the time so I’m good with that.

Comment

Brisket meatloaf...That's gotta be good...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Looks good from where is sit
                      Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

This goes in the win category.

Comment

Working...
                        X