Flat Iron with a Twist, SV style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Iron with a Twist, SV style

So, I run across this recipe and it sounds excellent. It's a lot of work actually but I'm home watching football all day and can get things done during the course of the day as it's not meant to be a hot meal.

Started out the night before pickling some onions. Two of my favorite things, onions and vinegar. Next day, had to get the steak ready. Found an excellent Flat Iron at 2.2#'s. So, got that dressed up per the recipe and decided the SV had to be the way to go. I cooked it rare for an hour.

During the day, I also caramelized some onions and got some fixings ready per the recipe.

And since the SV was empty, I poached some eggs. The recipe called for fried eggs but the Mrs. is not a fan and we all loved poached in the family.

Along the way, also cooked some Jasmine rice and added the recipe spices to it after it was finished. It really didn't make a dent so a wasted step.

However, I was still paying attention to that wonderful Flat Iron so I finished it on the grill.

Rested it and got to slicing. I just love this process for steaks and chicken breasts.

The steak tasted fantastic and I had to guard it as my 14 year old kept trying to "sample" it on repeated occasions.

Then, it was dinner time, got everything prepared per the recipe:

We all sat down to eat, and guess what........Nobody liked it, myself included. I post this whole thing to say that it doesn't always end well. But, it's fun to keep trying.

The good news is that we have enough Flat Iron left to make steak sandwiches tonight. Those I can do and not screw up. So, it's not a total loss. Thanks for looking and keep on trying new stuff.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

dang, it looks good from here, sorry you didn't like it. Was it a taste, or texture thing? Or something else? Thanks for posting even though it didn't turn out the way you wanted it to.
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

Comment

And that's why we try new recipes on the family rather than friends or guests

Sorry it sucked...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Hard to say why it sucked actually. All the ingredients that went into it we all like. However, I love hot sauce and milk but they don't go together mixed. I think the thing that killed it was different for a couple of us. The vinegar was a problem for one of my boys.

When I saw and read the recipe, it looked great. Well, live and learn.

In any event, it's not worth the time or trouble making it again and trying to fix it.

Craig, you're exactly right. I always cringe when I see someone doing something new for a party or guests.
        Pete
        Large BGE

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
          Dang Pete, based on that pic alone, it looks wonderful! Too bad it sucked. Look at the bright side... now you know...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

So, what flavor did you not like? Onions and eggs? maybe peppers needed to be sautéed as well? curious....
            sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

In hindsight, I think the author made the recipe way too complicated actually.

I'd use less vinegar, add some soy, and yes, perhaps saute the japs (good idea!). Maybe even hit the pieces of beef in a Wok with more flavor after the SV vs. the grill. Steak on it's own is great but it kind of got lost in this. I used a Flat Iron vs a Skirt Steak but that wasn't the issue.

In other words, a completely different dinner.

I really enjoy Asian food and this was like nothing I'd ever had before.

But, I will admit, it does look good
              Pete
              Large BGE

Comment

In hindsight, I think the author made the recipe way too complicated actually.

I'd use less vinegar, add some soy, and yes, perhaps saute the japs (good idea!). Maybe even hit the pieces of beef in a Wok with more flavor after the SV vs. the grill. Steak on it's own is great but it kind of got lost in this. I used a Flat Iron vs a Skirt Steak but that wasn't the issue.

In other words, a completely different dinner.

I really enjoy Asian food and this was like nothing I'd ever had before.

But, I will admit, it does look good
                I like your improvements ideas, altho I haven't tried the original. Got me thinking I have to break in that wok... Hmmmmmm...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

The pic's do look good though Abelman! worthy for trying and posting something new even though you didn't enjoy it
                  ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Man, that sure looks good from here!
                    sigpic

Comment

Certainly looked good on paper. And obviiously the meat turned out good. Sounds like its time for some sammichs.
                      Mike
                      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                      POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                      Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Looks awesome to me, Pete!!!

For me, only the Raw onions have to go!!!

However I'm not too sure Milk, Hot Sauce, and Vinegar were meant to Wed.

I'd probably get rid of the Raw onions & the Milk. But that's just me.

Bear

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                          Looks awesome to me, Pete!!!

For me, only the Raw onions have to go!!!

However I'm not too sure Milk, Hot Sauce, and Vinegar were meant to Wed.

I'd probably get rid of the Raw onions & the Milk. But that's just me.

Bear

Bear
                          Ahhh, John......the milk and hot sauce was a hypothetical concoction, example.

The raw onions were actually pickled but I get your drift.

Thanks for the kind words in any event
                          Pete
                          Large BGE

Comment

Ahhh, John......the milk and hot sauce was a hypothetical concoction, example.

The raw onions were actually pickled but I get your drift.

Thanks for the kind words in any event

Ooops---I missed that being "hypothetical"--Sorry.

And the raw onions is just me---They are the only food I know of that makes me sick.

Bear
                            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                            X