How Tall Are Pork Butts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Tall Are Pork Butts?

Working on design and I'm trying to figure out how much space I need between the top and bottom cook racks. How tall are pork shoulders? I don't have one here at the moment to measure. The shelves will be pull out so I don't need extra room to get to the bottom rack to spritz, handle etc.

Also I know it's been mentioned several times before but I can't seem to find it. The electrical connector thingy that you pass the thermo cables through -- what's that called again? I believe it was threaded to 1/2" or 3/4" and had a rubber insert that you could push probes through?

Thanks.
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

depends how big the pig was and whether or not it's got the bone in.

I have no idea.
    Looking at my rule - I'd say if you give 8 inches between shelves you should be fine with a sensible gap.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
      Working on design and I'm trying to figure out how much space I need between the top and bottom cook racks. How tall are pork shoulders? I don't have one here at the moment to measure. The shelves will be pull out so I don't need extra room to get to the bottom rack to spritz, handle etc.

Also I know it's been mentioned several times before but I can't seem to find it. The electrical connector thingy that you pass the thermo cables through -- what's that called again? I believe it was threaded to 1/2" or 3/4" and had a rubber insert that you could push probes through?

Thanks.
      Yes, that was me... and Isle be damned if I can find it in me shed... I'll get it Dave... stay tuned...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

The connector you are looking for is a NEER Watertight Connector # 49092 1/2" (NM/SE Cable) https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gampak-1-2-...nector/1087617

Knew I had it oot there somewhere.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

ha ha ha! stick your bare ass in there and then divide by half. should be enough space to accommodate a pig butt!
          sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Hmm ‘Bout up to my knee...
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

How tall is a Butt??
              It depends on how long the Piggy's front legs are (Were).

I know---Not much help, butt I don't have one here right now to measure.

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                Hmm ‘Bout up to my knee...

3 inches???

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post

Thanks.
                  Just a thought here..... when installing your side grate holder brackets, put in more than just every 8" or so, maybe like every 4" or so? This would give you the option of putting your smoking grates at evey 4" or so for something like jerky or fish, and would allow for 8" to 12" between grates for bigger/taller stuff like butts, shoulders, turkeys, standing beer can chickens, etc.

Cost and time would be minimal for installation, and versatility would be increased if you needed less, or more spacing between racks
                  sigpic

Comment

Okay, perhaps I asked that the wrong way.

Let's try this.

For those of you with horizontal offset smokers with multiple racks, how much space is there between the bottom rack and the one right above it?
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    -

Comment

Dave the distance between the first and second cooking racks on your UDS layout is the measurement you are looking for. A butt fits in there perfectly.
                      Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                        Dave the distance between the first and second cooking racks on your UDS layout is the measurement you are looking for. A butt fits in there perfectly.
                        I was just thinking the same thing, Marcus. Although I have not used the top rack since I have found the bigger butts. The ones Safeway used to have were 5-6 pounders but they started selling 10+ a couple of years ago.

I probably better smoke one next weekend. Just to be sure.
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        -

Comment

I was just looking at mine

6.5" from the top lip to the first rack.

11.5" from the top lip to the second rack.

I am thinking you need a little more room 8 to 10" should work
                          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Why limit yourself to just butts? A lot of vertical smokers have rack mounts at closer intervals to give more options. If you are smoking ribs or wings, you are looking at 3 to 3.5" between racks. If you put extra rack mounts basically every 3 or 4" then you can just leave out a rack to get the spacing for butts or turkey. Put the extra racks in for more volume of flatter meats (ie, ribs, wings, chicken quarters, etc....). It's a lot easier to put the rack mounts in when the smoker is built than to add them later. Even if you don't make/buy all the racks it can hold, you can add extra racks later if money ends up being an issue to start out.
                            Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                              Just a thought here..... when installing your side grate holder brackets, put in more than just every 8" or so, maybe like every 4" or so?
                              Originally posted by dward51 View Post
                              Why limit yourself to just butts? A lot of vertical smokers have rack mounts at closer intervals to give more options.
                              I like the idea guys but it's going to be a horizontal reverse flow smoker. 20" diameter tank. I'll only have about 10" to work with vertically.

UDS 1.0
                              Afterburner
                              Weber Performer
                              Blue Thermapen
                              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                              Auber Smoker Controller
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X