Posted On: 02-25-2018
Replies: 1
Views: 34
0 Some pork loin jerky Hi-Res :)
Last Post: Doug S.
Replies: 5
Views: 39
0 When your away from home and need to smoke...
Last Post: Uncle Sauce
Replies: 15
Views: 135
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,583 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,387 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 651,913 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 02-05-2018, 11:34 AM
SMF/OTBS Refugee

TasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To All
TasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To All

It was a busy weekend, but I did get to sample a couple of these pickles and found them to be very good. The "pickled" flavor was right on point, with good garlic presence and a bit of heat from the peppers, but not too much. The dill itself seemed to be just about right, too.

As far as texture, the pickles were much, much less mushy than I expected. They had a bit of crunch to them and were about the same as what I expect from home-canned pickles made with regular" cucumbers and processed in a hot water bath. Not crunchy, by any means, but not mushy, either, at all.

I let them ride through the weekend and will probably put them in pint-sized jars tonight, then into the refrigerator.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 02-05-2018, 11:36 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

As with the “sun pickles”, you should not expect much crunch. But the flavor is where it’s at :{)

I wonder if some ascorbic acid might help...hmm.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:40 AM
SMF/OTBS Refugee

TasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To All
TasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To All

The taste is definitely there - a really nice tang to them that is wonderful...and addicting!

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Old 02-08-2018, 12:42 PM
SMF/OTBS Refugee

After 12 days of fermenting, I checked on my pickles Tuesday night, 6 February. The temperatures can be a bit cooler in our house, so I figured that the extra time (compared to 5 - 7 days recommended) wouldn't hurt.

The pickles looked to be on schedule, as much as I can tell with my limited experience; it seemed to me that the initial fermentation was complete.

and they tasted good. The flavours were all present, with strong garlic and subtle dill that made itself known without taking over. The "crunchiness" was far better than I expected, but by no means awesome. They were, however, quite acceptable in my opinion; no worse than any other home-made pickles, with a much better and more authentic flavor than store-bought pickles.

There was some of the fermentation "tang" in the flavor, but not too much. It seemed to me that this is something that needed to develop, a hypothesis that was supported by the mottled appearance of the pickle chips. The photo shown here confirmed that there is plenty of "development" that still needs to be done:

Photo Credit: http://www.pickl-it.com/images/490.jpg

I put the pickles into jars and into the back of the refrigerator; I'll check them again in a few weeks, and see what I end up with.

I suspect that the flavours will develop and deepen, and that I'll be pretty happy with the results.

More later!

Ron

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Old 02-08-2018, 01:14 PM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

Ron they sure look pretty evenly colored like the ones on the right in the pic. Think they might be "done" earlier cause they are thin sliced?

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!
Old 02-08-2018, 05:23 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

“Bubble, bubble toil and trouble!”

Looking good to me Ron. I missed last summer and the sun pickles. I’m sad.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:56 AM
SMF/OTBS Refugee

These store-bought cucumbers aren't perfect by any means, but they do work in the proverbial pinch; results are definitely decent, so far. I can only imagine how good they would be with fresh cucumbers from the garden or the local Hutterites, who grow amazing things up here.

The thin-ness is definitely contributing to their being done faster; I think now they are at a point similar to a pork shoulder roast at 160 - technically, it's "done," but it isn't barbecue, yet. Similar situation here, I think - they are "ready to eat," but I think a little time will really allow them to develop. I'll probably check on them next week, and see what I have.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Old 02-11-2018, 06:44 PM
Let's Rock Louie!

Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All
Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All

think you done good...me pickles are a tasty gig...

Old 02-12-2018, 01:47 PM
Wursthersteller

Snarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To All
Snarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To All

I bought this kit: https://www.masontops.com/collection...set-wide-mouth

Has worked really well for me. I found an excellent Kimchi recipe that uses fish sauce and Sriracha. Made some really tasty Kimchi. Have made a couple of sauerkraut runs. It really is pretty hard to screw up. Looking forward to the pickle results.
Bad Girls

If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' 'til you do suck seed. -- Curly Howard

Do not cry havoc when you should but hunt with modest warrant. -- William Shakespear

NRA Endowment Member
Certified Glock Armorer
Old 02-12-2018, 01:56 PM
Pepper Head

Abelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To All
Abelman Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarlingiron View Post
I bought this kit: https://www.masontops.com/collection...set-wide-mouth

Has worked really well for me. I found an excellent Kimchi recipe that uses fish sauce and Sriracha. Made some really tasty Kimchi. Have made a couple of sauerkraut runs. It really is pretty hard to screw up. Looking forward to the pickle results.
Please post the Kimche recipe. It would be much appreciated.
Masterbuilt 7 in 1
Old 02-12-2018, 02:21 PM
Wursthersteller

Snarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To All
Snarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To AllSnarlingiron Is  A Name Known To All

I used this recipe: https://www.thespruce.com/korean-sri...recipe-2118867, with the exception that I left out the carrot. Why? Didn't have one and didn't want to go to the store. Also, I am a fish sauce snob. I will pretty much only use this one these days: http://redboatfishsauce.com/ based on this review: https://ourdailybrine.com/fish-sauce-taste-test/

This is genuine Vietnamese Nuoc Mam, and it has a much better taste than most others. Some of the "fish sauces" out there are really nasty.

Also, I did not brine over night. I gave it a few hours and called it good. I let mine ferment for about 15 days before removing it to the fridge.

This turned out really good, and is much easier that traditional kimchi.
Bad Girls

If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' 'til you do suck seed. -- Curly Howard

Do not cry havoc when you should but hunt with modest warrant. -- William Shakespear

NRA Endowment Member
Certified Glock Armorer
Old 02-13-2018, 01:10 PM
SMF/OTBS Refugee

That sounds really, really good!

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Old 02-18-2018, 03:04 PM
Pepper Head

Abelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To All
Abelman Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarlingiron View Post
I used this recipe: https://www.thespruce.com/korean-sri...recipe-2118867, with the exception that I left out the carrot. Why? Didn't have one and didn't want to go to the store. Also, I am a fish sauce snob. I will pretty much only use this one these days: http://redboatfishsauce.com/ based on this review: https://ourdailybrine.com/fish-sauce-taste-test/

This is genuine Vietnamese Nuoc Mam, and it has a much better taste than most others. Some of the "fish sauces" out there are really nasty.

Also, I did not brine over night. I gave it a few hours and called it good. I let mine ferment for about 15 days before removing it to the fridge.

This turned out really good, and is much easier that traditional kimchi.
I'm giving this a shot. Thanks for the link! Made it today and now we wait:

I tried some Kraut with the kit and I really did screw something up. It didn't work but I think I figured out my mistake. I'll give it another shot at some point.
Masterbuilt 7 in 1
Old 02-18-2018, 03:13 PM
Big Deck BBQ and Brew

Bama BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBama BBQ Is  A Name Known To All
Bama BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBama BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBama BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBama BBQ Is  A Name Known To All

I love natural ferment (lacto) pickles. Onions are good, too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > From The Kitchen