Searing meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searing meat

I have a quick question. Does searing meat before you smoke it block the smoke from absorbing into the meat? Part of me says yes and the other part says no. I'm perplexed.

Sent from my A573VC using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    Weber 22.5 kettle
    Smokin in the Smokies
    Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
    Jerry

Originally posted by Blue Dog BBQ View Post
    I have a quick question. Does searing meat before you smoke it block the smoke from absorbing into the meat? Part of me says yes and the other part says no. I'm perplexed.

Good question. I don't know the science behind it, butt I would think that searing (depending on the degree/length of sear) would somewhat restrict (probably not eliminate though) the penetration of smoke..... I have seared, at high heat (Smokie Okie) briskets in the past then finished in a smoker at normal temps. Been a few years, butt I don't think I remember any advantage

Searing first, then finishing indirect or away from the heat is very popular for smaller cuts from my experience. Also a popular method is the Reverse Sear, cooking indirect until desired temp, then searing over a heat source (Vortex, coals, etc) until you get your desired Internal Temps or Char that you like. You already know this, butt maybe someone can read this and use it
    sigpic

Comment

Perhaps a little, but most of the smoke flavor is on the outside anyway. Try a slice of brisket with the outside .25” trimmed off all the way around sometime.

What it WILL kill is your smoke ring..if you care.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I wouldn't sear first but I didn't really know what the outcome would be. You have confirmed what I was thinking.

sigpic
        Weber 22.5 kettle
        Smokin in the Smokies
        Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
        Jerry

Comment

Have you tried a Reverse Sear? Smoke first, then to a hot grill?

Best way to do a big o'l beef steak.

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post

Zackly!
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post

X3
              sigpic

Comment

I usually reverse sear. But I did go to a Prime Rib cooking class today at a local BBQ supplier (BBQ Island) put on by a local comp guy where they were did a Sear first @ 450, then cooked @ 350 to I.T.. But it was Prime Rib and not something that needs a long low & slow cook. And they were cooking on a Big Green Egg. Cant knock his results tho
                Mike
                Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Working...
                X