To freeze or not to freeze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To freeze or not to freeze?

I bought a roughly 10lb rib roast yesterday to be cooked on Christmas Eve, because yesterday was the last day of the sale. Conventional food safety wisdom says 5days max in the fridge, but I need it for 8. So, do I throw it in the freezer for a day or two then take it back out to thaw, or just let it ride in the fridge? It’s not cryo-vac’d.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

Does it have a use by date? If it were me I would unwrap it, put it on a drying rack on a sheet pan in the fridge.

Comment

If it's properly vac sealed it should be OK...That's what they call wet ageing
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
        Does it have a use by date? If it were me I would unwrap it, put it on a drying rack on a sheet pan in the fridge.

Packed on the 15th, sell by is the 19th. I’m kind of leaning towards the dry aging myself, but I do t want to lose too much of it, it’s kinda small for the number of people we’ll have already.

Mike
        Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
          If it's properly vac sealed it should be OK...That's what they call wet ageing

Yeah I wouldn’t worry if it was vac’d but it’s not. It’s butcher packed basically in cling wrap.

Mike
          Life In Pit Row

Comment

Well CAN you vac it? Or maybe just a coat of OO and keep it cold.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Well CAN you vac it? Or maybe just a coat of OO and keep it cold.

I’m not sure my vac bags will fit it, but I can give it a try
              Mike
              Life In Pit Row

Comment

If ya wrap it tightly in the cling wrap it will be airtight...That's the key...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

My wife would freeze it, 100%

Darren

Comment

clingfilm and then freeze

whether it's absolutely necessary or not - do you really want to piss about with food safety this time of year ?

Absolutely DO not clingfilm and then keep in the fridge for an extended period.
                    What that does is create lots of little micro climates for bacteria to thrive in, it also creates anaerobic conditions for the really nasty bugs to thrive in.

So if you clingfilm something - freeze it, not fridge !
                    Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-18-2017, 06:32 AM.
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Glad this came up. I have the same situation. I put a 12 lb. bone in Rib Roast in me fridge last night after a Costco trip. It is just butcher wrapped, so I'm thinking into the freezer. I have a huge amount of respect for the opinions of Squirrel, but what I don't have is room in the fridge for a sheet pan and rack.
                      A few of my favorite things:
                      Good Whiskey
                      Good Food
                      Bad Girls
                      sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                      Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by Spivitz View Post
                        My wife would freeze it, 100%

I'm with Spivitz' Wife!!!

I'd freeze it, and then remove it from the freezer 3 or 4 days before smoking.
                        Takes at least 3 days to thaw in the fridge from my Freezer @ ZERO.

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Well I tried to vac seal it, but it wouldn’t fit in any of my bags, even after I removed the packaging it was in. So I wrapped it back up in cellophane and stuck it in the freezer. Will take it back out in a couple days to start thawing. Thanks for the input all.
                          Mike
                          Life In Pit Row

Comment

I have had this dilemma before, too. I covered it with OO and put it in the meat drawer after weighing it. It looked kinda ugly after a few days but it was excellent. I had it in there for a week. It lost a little over 10% by weight. I would do it for a longer rest next time, say 2 weeks. I had it on a rack in a plastic container with a towel over the container. Good setup. I think I saw it in Good Eats.
                            MES 30"
                            A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                            Weber 22" kettle
                            E-Z-Que rotisserie
                            Weber Smokey Joe
                            Big Weber Gasser
                            Cracker Smoker
                            UDS

Comment

Originally posted by L20A View Post
                              I have had this dilemma before, too. I covered it with OO and put it in the meat drawer after weighing it. It looked kinda ugly after a few days but it was excellent. I had it in there for a week. It lost a little over 10% by weight. I would do it for a longer rest next time, say 2 weeks. I had it on a rack in a plastic container with a towel over the container. Good setup. I think I saw it in Good Eats.

I find things from "Good Eats" to be suspect.

Bear
                              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                              X