Washington county fair backyard comp and met a fellow member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington county fair backyard comp and met a fellow member

First off it was great meeting Courser and talking to him. He brought me some homemade bacon and Canadian bacon. Can't wait to try them!

The price was $25 to enter and they supplied 5 racks of St Louis style ribs and the rules said 2 pork tenderloin. 3 judges for ribs, 3 for loin, and peoples choice in both categories. There were a lot of fancy rigs there. At 7 they handed out the meat. WTF them aren't tenderloins those are loins there went the plan to brine them. I ended up throwing something together. I had a lot of compliments. People were coming up and saying they heard I had the best ribs. One woman made her husband vote for me and he didn't get to try one. I was one of the first to run out of ribs. We cut the loin up in bite size pieces. I didn't realize we could put our sauce out until half way through. That helped the loin. The big hit was the sauce. Unfortunately I did not place in the top three in any category. I had a nice chuckle, a special needs boy had a piece of loin from the next guy. Smothered in KC masterpiece(they got 3 in people's choice loin) my wife gave him one of mine with some sauce. He took a bite and nonchalantly through the other teams loin on the ground lol! In his defense it did look extremely dry. We went through one loin so we brought the other one home. Had a great time, a little frustrating but who knows I may have got 4th. Sorry I didn't get a pics but I know Kent got some.
    sigpic

Sounds like a good time anyway! very nice! cant wait to see a pic or two!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

One COULD have sliced the the loin and brined and grilled.... just a thought. 2-3 hours would have been sufficient. Don't know the rules tho.

Appreciate your intentions however!

Not a bad turnout regardless.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        One COULD have sliced the the loin and brined and grilled.... just a thought. 2-3 hours would have been sufficient. Don't know the rules tho.

Appreciate your intentions however!

Not a bad turnout regardless.
        We kind of went in blind on the loin. I started just making slices until I looked over and everyone was making the bite size. I told my wife on the way home if I knew that I would have split it in half so every piece had 2 sides of rub. I did sear them over the vortex, I'm gonna like that thing
        sigpic

Comment

Awesome that ya took the leap to do the gig!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
            Sorry I didn't get a pics but I know Kent got some.
            It was great to meet Ryan and his family. I had a wonderful time for it being the first comp I'd ever gone to. It really seemed to me that all levels of experience were represented there. There were a few there that looked like they were a bit more than "backyard" cooks. And there were a few that looked like they just got their new pellet grill and wanted to cook.

I didn't get a chance at the ribs, but the loin was really well done! I wasn't really too sure about the rules either, but I probably should have suggested that he get the sauce out for the loin. I loved it with just the Hunky because it was so moist. But knowing most of the folks around here they'd want it sauced.
            Thanks for a great morning, Ryan!

on edit: I probably shouldn't have said the loin was well done......it was prepared very well! Sorry about that, Ryan.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Courser; 07-27-2014, 10:25 PM.
            Kent [sigpic

Lang 36" Patio
            GMG Daniel Boone
            Husker Red UDS V.2014
            22" Black Weber Kettle V.1988
            40" MES V. 2
            British Racing Green Thermapen w/Glow-in-the-dark silicone boot!
            Thermapen Smoke

Comment

Boneless pork loin.

Looks Good Ryan.
              Your Boneless pork loin looks way better than the one I Murdered yesterday on the pellet pooper.
              Learned me some stuff though.
              #1 Don't brine that sucker for a day and a half before you put it on the smoker. 12 hours is plenty.
              #2 cut down on the kosher salt in the brine and add more brown sugar.
              #3 the rub I used was too spicy, next time use a sweeter rub.
              #4 Pass out more Free Beer to the group before ya feed um that way there taste buds ain't as sharp.
              #5 My old huntin dog Woofed it down and wanted more (Good Dog)
              Rookie07

Comment

Awesome Ryan, glad you got oot and did the gig!! Ribs and loin look great!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie07 View Post
                  Looks Good Ryan.
                  Your Boneless pork loin looks way better than the one I Murdered yesterday on the pellet pooper.
                  Learned me some stuff though.
                  #1 Don't brine that sucker for a day and a half before you put it on the smoker. 12 hours is plenty.
                  #2 cut down on the kosher salt in the brine and add more brown sugar.
                  I believe he had my Pork Brine...just did not have enough time to brine the hunk. That's why I suggested perhaps 1" thick slices... much less time needed. Then get a half hour of smoke on them and finish on the grill with some pretty grill marks maybe. Apparently there were little or no rules how you cooked anything...
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

that all looks great to me!!!

bein able to adapt,,, no matter WTF,,,
                    is what separates the wheat from the chaff...

ya done good man...
                    ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
                    ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

Ryan it sure looks like you rocked that loin! Love the color and the nice ring! The ribs look mighty tasty as well! Be proud!
                      Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                      Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                      A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                      A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                      Frogmats
                      Maverick ET 732
                      Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment