BB Ribs and Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BB Ribs and Chicken

I thought about smoking some Ribs and Chicken legs or thighs for the Super Bowl. Has anyone done this before? I'm assuming that apple wood would work for both and that the chicken would take less cooking time. I have an electric smoker. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Chicken won't take as long as you know. It should work out fine by figuring out when you want to eat.

Best piece of advice I can give is that when smoking chicken with any other food, chicken always goes on the bottom so you don't contaminate the other foods with drippings.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Will I need to add more wood pellets when i insert the chicken?

Comment

Chicken and ribs a great combo... but not cooked together if you ask me... chicken cooked at 225-250 where you cook ribs at will lead to a very rubbery skin. If you have tow cooking sources cook chicken on one at a temp of 350* and ribs at 240*... if not then you can put the chicken on the gasser to crisp up the skin after smoking for a while, and as mentioned before dont let your juices cross contaminate each other!

Apple wood is fine for both!!
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
          Chicken and ribs a great combo... but not cooked together if you ask me... chicken cooked at 225-250 where you cook ribs at will lead to a very rubbery skin. If you have tow cooking sources cook chicken on one at a temp of 350* and ribs at 240*... if not then you can put the chicken on the gasser to crisp up the skin after smoking for a while, and as mentioned before dont let your juices cross contaminate each other!

Apple wood is fine for both!!
          My suggestion: Your ribs are going to take 3.5 to 5 hours on any given day/approach. At 225 to 250, I'm guessing drummies will be in the 1.25 to 1.75 hour range. If I were doing it, I would pop on my drummies, either beside or under my ribs once my ribs had 2 hours in the smoker.

You know they are going to be rubbery, so if they come off early, toss them in a cooler (to keep them warm), then fire up your gasser and finish them off (crisp them up), after you've pulled your ribs and they are resting a bit before slicage.

they will be fine.

Comment

Personally, I never cook chicken parts and ribs together in the same cooker, because of all the reasons stated above. I always cook chicken parts on my Weber kettle.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

What they said. Remember smoked chicken = rubbery skin. I smoke until almost done and then finish over direct heat to crisp the skin. Smoke take pics eat then post pics.
              sigpic
              Weber 22.5 kettle
              Smokin in the Smokies
              Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
              Jerry

Comment

Working...
              X