No announcement yet.

Best way cook and transport rib roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way cook and transport rib roast?

So this morning I found out I'm cooking (oven) a 14 lb rib roast, then traveling twenty minutes to the party. Dinner is at seven. I thought I would cook it here till 120 ish then go to the party and use there oven to warm it up to 130 and hold at that timp till dinner.
    Is there a better way? also how long does it need to rest after finishing?

Thanks for any advice, big roasts in ovens ain't my cup of tea, but could use other opinions, Dan
    sigpic

Go to HD and get a sheet of 1" thick rigid insulation foam board. The one with a silver on one side.
    Cut it with a knife to construct a box using packing tape. Silver side face in. The finished box will be very strong. It takes about 15 minutes to make.

No need to reheat the roast. Thy box will keep it hot for many hours.

Afterwards, take the box apart for next time's use. Doesn't take a lot of room to store away.

dcarch

Comment

Or just use a cooler and a couple towels. Hot for hours.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Great Idea, but I got time constraints. Maybe I'll do the rap in aluminum, plus some towels. Always works for butts.
        sigpic

Comment

Beat me to it Rich, I'm good to go I think, thanks for the assist Dcarch and Rich
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Or just use a cooler and a couple towels. Hot for hours.
            That's what I was gonna say. I use this method all the time and as long as you don't open the cooler also I will reheat in the sous vide when possible.

Comment

Preheat the cooler with hot water and it will last longer.
              MES 30"
              A-Maze-N pellet smoker
              Weber 22" kettle
              E-Z-Que rotisserie
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Big Weber Gasser
              Cracker Smoker
              UDS

Comment

Preheat the cooler with hot water if you are worried about it cooling off too fast. I did the preheat and towels with a 5# prime rib in a yeti cooler. Left my wired probe in just for kicks. Temp drop in an hours time was 1*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Guys and Gal. I got this...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanMcG View Post
                    So this morning I found out I'm cooking (oven) a 14 lb rib roast, then traveling twenty minutes to the party. Dinner is at seven. I thought I would cook it here till 120 ish then go to the party and use there oven to warm it up to 130 and hold at that timp till dinner.
                    Is there a better way? also how long does it need to rest after finishing?

Thanks for any advice, big roasts in ovens ain't my cup of tea, but could use other opinions, Dan
                    500 degrees for 5 minutes a pound. Shut off oven and don't open oven for 2hours. No need to rest. That's for medium rare. I've used this method several times with varying sizes of roasts. In my oven it's always worked perfectly. Google it, I think it's called "No Peek prime rib". Just don't open the oven.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
                    sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Thanks Ray,
                      Have a great Christmas!
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X