Round One: Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round One: Jerky

Got a pretty good pile of game meat to work through. My son-in-law got a mule deer buck and wanted to make all the grind meat into jerky. Gonna corn the roasts later. We made 30# into jerky last weekend. Used Hi-Mountain mixes. I had not used them before, but after many great recommendations from here decided to give them a try. Very pleased with the results. We used hickory, teriyaki, and mesquite (the store was out of original). Also used the jerky shooter I got for Christmas 2 years ago for the first time. I'm pretty happy with it. My wife was filling the tubes faster than I could squoosh em out. The extra moisture requiered made for a pretty long dry time though about 18 hours.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Looks good M-H.My Uncle makes ground meat Jerky with Elk and Hi-Mountain cures.Good stuff
    sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Now thats going to be some great chewing
      2-22.5'' weber
      1-18'' weber
      1 smokey joe
      22.5'' wsm
      24'' smoke vault
      1-outhouse
      Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
      Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Nice job Jim the smoker shot looks great I like a full smoker :-) another jerky season thats really good is Uncle Abe's Jerky season from the sausage maker

Happyness is a full smoker

Comment

Mighty fine brother...........

Comment

great looking product
            I figure that lot would last me about a week
            Have some jerky

How long did you make the sticks ?
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

MP If thats round one I cant wait for round two...Love me some jerky...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post

great looking product
                I figure that lot would last me about a week
                Have some jerky

How long did you make the sticks ?
                I made them as long as my racks are deep which is about 18 inches, then cut them down to 6 for bagging. The last pic is after cutting waiting on bags.
                sigpic

Comment

Mercy!...That has got to be some gooood eatin!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

dang Jim, thats one heck of a batch of jerky!!! looks great too, have never used one of the shooters, just always made whole muscle jerky. but that looks great. be alot less work just to take the jerky meat and run thru grinder and sqeeze it out when needed. if you reccomend it i just may have to get one!!! let me know what you rate each one a those flavors buddy!!! again, awesome batch a jerky!!!

ps: 30 lbs to start, did you have a finish weight??? just curious....
                    Charbroil SFB
                    GOSM
                    MES
                    Dutch Ovens and other CI
                    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE

ps: 30 lbs to start, did you have a finish weight??? just curious....[/QUOTE]

I didn't weigh it before it went out the door, but I'm thinking it was pretty close to 15#. I always figured on around 50% weight loss on whole muscle jerky so around the same. Course I added about a pint of water to each batch to make it flowable. I still like whole muscle jerky, and I'm not sure it's any less work, just different work. But it is a great way to use up the grind meat, and you want jerky. We may still strip out some of the rounds for whole muscle.
                      sigpic

Comment

Good looking batch of jerky!

I've made jerky both ways...the ground seems to disappear faster cuz it's easier to chew...

Both kinds are pretty tasty tho. Love the smoker set-up!

Comment

That's an awesome outcome on a LOTTA work there Muley! ..... Great looking jerky
                          sigpic

Comment

friggin awesome lookin jerky Mule I've yet to make any from ground , gonna have to give it try , I do like the Hi-Mountain product too
                            sigpic
                            homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

Just found another picture. This of the jerky on a rack after it's done, waiting to be peeled. Gives some idea of the shrink. The strips are nearly touching when extruded out of the gun.
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X