Question for the deer hunters here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the deer hunters here

When you make venison jerky do you use the same recipe that you use for beef jerky? Thanks.
    sigpicTrying to fit.....in the misfits....

Short answer, yes. I don't make much beef jerky, but when I do, I use the same recipe.
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Yep, but I have used a variety of recipes for venison and elk jerky, as well as a variety of prepackaged mixes. All with pretty good success. In short, any beef jerky recipe will work well with venison.
      sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Time2Eat View Post
        When you make venison jerky do you use the same recipe that you use for beef jerky? Thanks.

If I made jerky with my venison I would use the same recipe.. I personally cannot see wasting good venison on jerky... But that's me..
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I do, and I prefer venison over beef anyday for Jerky.

Comment

Me too!!

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
              If I made jerky with my venison I would use the same recipe.. I personally cannot see wasting good venison on jerky... But that's me..
              Lol I hear ya boss. Not my meat, not my call. I've just never made venison jerky yet so I wanted to make sure I didn't screw it up. Thanks for all the timely replies all.

Comment

Well if this is your first time. Make sure you remove ALL the fat and ALL the tallow. Or your first bite will be awful.
                If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

You'll have a package of cure/spice for 2.5 pounds of meat coming soon :{) Nice small batch to "cut yer teeth" on.
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by JustSmoke2 View Post
                    Well if this is your first time. Make sure you remove ALL the fat and ALL the tallow. Or your first bite will be awful.
                    Can't say that one enough. Venison fat is nasty, especially in jerky.
                    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

I do love your avitar to any other..er.. I mean, I do love venison over beef jerky.. ah.. mavrick.. er... and I would use the same, ditto the fat.. ewe.. you only need to do that once... damn.. my man!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                        Can't say that one enough. Venison fat is nasty, especially in jerky.
                        Please remove all fats from the deer and add pork butts for the fat. Here at the ranch we grind the entire deer and make deer brats and jerky with venison. Backstrap is the only piece we dont grind. We smoke it. And its DAMN good smoked.
                        SCOTT

Comment

Thanks for all the warnings on the fat. Fortunately that's never an issue because I'm fanatical when it comes to trimming all the fat and nasties away from the lean stuff. So much so sometimes I'll sacrifice meat just to ensure lean strips.

Goddess your crackin me up!

Comment

You meant "deer harvester". I hunt deer every year and have had to make beef jerky the last couple of years.
                            sigpic

GOSM/propane
                            UDS (Cam)/lump
                            22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                            Weber Genesis/propane
                            Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Working...
                            X