Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking me some jerky

Dehydrated jerky is good stuff ,but ya cant beat the real thing
    started out by slicing 7 lbs of venison roast.

added 6 packets of nescos original and 1 packet of hot and spicey jerky seasoning with 1 cup of water and put mix and meat into the revo for marinating

10 min later it was going into the vault for the day.

should be coming out in a couple hrs .but the dang smoker ran outa gas on me so It got a little delayed oh well gunna be gooood
    2-22.5'' weber
    1-18'' weber
    1 smokey joe
    22.5'' wsm
    24'' smoke vault
    1-outhouse
    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
    Smoked meathead #135

Wheee... venison makes great jerky. I think I may like it more than beef. 10 Min on the cure? You get a complete cure that way? Altho alot of it is going on in the smoker as it heats up too...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

That will be some excellent snacking, Bill. Let's see the finished pics.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Wheee... venison makes great jerky. I think I may like it more than beef. 10 Min on the cure? You get a complete cure that way? Altho alot of it is going on in the smoker as it heats up too...
        Ya no Rich I been making it for a few years now and have just recently been questioning that .I know on all sausages they sit for a day min.but i been making this jerky since before I started figuring anything out about the curing process

Ohoh LOLjust got done reading the directions again that I read 2 years ago'it says for ground meat to go straight to the dehydrater(wich still dont make sense?) and for sliced muscle to marinate for 2-8 hrs or overnight.(And the way it reads thats just for flaverization.doesnt bring up curing at all) OH well like I said I've made a billion pounds over the last few years and do believe the its been curing just fine.At least noone has had the shits yetWell,anyway ignorance may be bliss but I think I may start curring them just like sausage I sure hate to make some one sick thanks bill
        2-22.5'' weber
        1-18'' weber
        1 smokey joe
        22.5'' wsm
        24'' smoke vault
        1-outhouse
        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Looking Awesome ....... I've seen those Revo's before & they looked like pretty neat units..... 10 minutes seems mighty short to me also ..... What kind of wood do you prefer for your jerky?
          sigpic

Comment

I have heard the ground meat thing, especially if one uses the erythorbate cure accelerator. With a good mix, it's cured within an hour like that. Also, the vac can helps too... And as I said up to a point, 140° I BELIEVE... the cure is accelerated by the temps. Most chemical reactions double in rate for a 10° increase in temps I think I recall. For the whole muscle, I sure would be inclined to go 12 hours anyhow. Just to err on saftey's side.

Then again I have little sense of adventure in this area for some reason
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
              Looking Awesome ....... I've seen those Revo's before & they looked like pretty neat units..... 10 minutes seems mighty short to me also ..... What kind of wood do you prefer for your jerky?
              The 10 min really has nothing to do with cure time but ya almost have to see it to belive it what that machine can do in 10 min for marrinating when you vac all the air oout of the canister and it opens up the pores in the meat and then tumble it for a few min you open the canister and the meat literally sucks in all the marrinade liquid in the canester out of a cup or 2 of liquid you dont even have a tblspoon left.Ive used it on chicken ,steaks pork chops and loins even roast's.you really have to see one work you all would be impressed. I used cherry wood this time I really like it on a lot of my smokes.
              Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              I have heard the ground meat thing, especially if one uses the erythorbate cure accelerator. With a good mix, it's cured within an hour like that. Also, the vac can helps too... And as I said up to a point, 140° I BELIEVE... the cure is accelerated by the temps. Most chemical reactions double in rate for a 10° increase in temps I think I recall. For the whole muscle, I sure would be inclined to go 12 hours anyhow. Just to err on saftey's side.

Then again I have little sense of adventure in this area for some reason
              Like i said ,I have to agree that I will start allowiing some cure time on the whole meat muscle.but I do wonder if the thinness of the cuts and the marrinating helps them cure in the smoke.
              2-22.5'' weber
              1-18'' weber
              1 smokey joe
              22.5'' wsm
              24'' smoke vault
              1-outhouse
              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
                Like i said ,I have to agree that I will start allowiing some cure time on the whole meat muscle.but I do wonder if the thinness of the cuts and the marrinating helps them cure in the smoke.
                Well, sure it helps. The vac marination allows the cure to get deeper in the meat...but it still has to react to effect the curing process. And as I mentioned, so does the heat. With ground meats and accelerator you are cured before the danger zone time limit expires. Probably applicable to under .25" cuts as well.

Hmm I See BBally is on, maybe he can clear this up!

Comment

Jerky thickness

Looks great, the boys and I just finished processing ours and one them wants to make Jerky out of one of his roasts, How thick do you cut the strips to start?

Comment

real jerky gotta luv it Bill best way to make jerky IMHO , great job !
                    sigpic
                    homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

Very nice lookin whole muscle jerky man! Looking forward to the finished pics.
                      sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Here's a couple finished pics.Even I have to say
                        this shit is the bomb

[
                        /C
                        2-22.5'' weber
                        1-18'' weber
                        1 smokey joe
                        22.5'' wsm
                        24'' smoke vault