Being a real jerk today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being a real jerk today.

Like many of you we are in the midst of a blizzard and there is about 15" of snow on the ground right now and more piling on all the time. Perfect day for doing some jerky. Cut up a 4# top round, mixed up a new experimental spice mix, I'll let you know how that goes but a couple of ingredients are beer extract and Worcestershire powder. Anyway the WSM is out on the back porch with a blue tarp for some snow protection and a custom made, by me, Eternal Windblock Enclosure, patent pending. Here is the WSM in it's little shroud.

Here is the top grate with meat and temp probe

And finally for the very few of you out there with no snow, a view of what the smoker is seeing while chugging away at 120°.

Hehehe... Eternal Windblock Enclosure®!

Carry on, soldier!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Lookin' good, SD.

I like the shroud, and the snow.
      Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
      Modified Chargriller RF
      250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

Like the windbreak also ........ Having been contemplating purchasing a WSM for a while, one of the questions I have (and this would be open to all WSM owners as well) is how are they for maintaining the lower heats like 120* -180* say, like Dick is doing here, for jerky & sausage?

The jerky looks great BTW
        sigpic

Comment

Low temps are done by limited fuel...and increased attention. But it can be done.
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by new smoke View Post
            Lookin' good, SD.

I like the shroud, and the snow.
            Ditto on the shroud, not so ditto on the snow...

Stay in it!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Low temps are done by limited fuel...and increased attention. But it can be done.
              Sounds like to much work for me...
              sigpic

Comment

The low temps can really only be achieved in the colder months, so winter time is jerky time over here. Right now the WSM is at 120° with the top vent full open and all other vents closed. Leaky door I guess. In the warm weather with all vents closed, including the top, she will shut down quickly so I assume there is very little flow through any joints or holes. Thanks for the shroud approval, came up with it last cook as temps were uncontrollable in that blizzard. This is the first time using it. When I set up the fuel, Wicked Good Charcoal, I use two fire bricks and place them on the charcoal grate so the charcoal will be in an S shape around them. Fill the void full with charcoal and a few small wood chunks and light it off with a propane torch at one end of the S for less than a minute. Put the cooker together with 1 vent at 1/2 open till about 90° close it down and load in the meat. Holds pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                  Like the windbreak also ........ Having been contemplating purchasing a WSM for a while, one of the questions I have (and this would be open to all WSM owners as well) is how are they for maintaining the lower heats like 120* -180* say, like Dick is doing here, for jerky & sausage?

The jerky looks great BTW
                  You won't be sorry... them WSMs are quite the cat daddy's meow. Gofer it, I say!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Like Rich said, it does take a bit of attention when trying to keep the cooker at such a low temp. I have had to open her up and put a torch to the fuel twice today. Temps were dropping a little low, got down to the low 90's. That's a whole lot better than last storm when I could not keep the temp below 150°. Jerky pics forthcoming. Been on since 10:30 this morning.

Making some Biscotti, too. In the oven though so I guess that doesn't count.
                    Last edited by Smokin' Dick; 01-12-2011, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin' Dick View Post
                      Making some Biscotti, too. In the oven though so I guess that doesn't count.
                      Well, not towards jerky, but I love biscotti! Cup of strong coffee and dunk away!

Comment

Nicely done good looking jerky .I havent even tried my wsm for sausage at low temps .I may have to give it a go. for a good job
                        2-22.5'' weber
                        1-18'' weber
                        1 smokey joe
                        22.5'' wsm
                        24'' smoke vault
                        1-outhouse
                        Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Working...
                        X