cure amt..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cure amt..

Arrrgghhhh no cure packet with the last order of spices!
    ARRRGGH. Gotta make sausage in the morning...

BUT I have a High country kit with cure packets in it.
    It says 6.25% Sodium Nitrate so I'm assuming this is Insta Cure #1?

Then if its ok to use, how much for 12.5 lbs of meat?

Never assume! Sooner or later, someone who has a package of Hi-Country cure can give you the directions off the package.

What you have could be identical to Cure #1, but with so many different and proprietary cures out there that are not inter-changeable, it's best to wait for confirmation!

Is there no TQ at your local grocery? Easy, fool-proof and usually available....
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

ya I can pick up some TenderQuick, is it just 6.25% sodium Nitrite?

The little packets have directions. it says 1/8 teaspoon per pound.

Comment

If the package has directions, then go ahead and follow those directions - it will be correct!

As for TQ, it's easy; TQ combines the necessary cure along with about 2 to 3% salt, so:

For sausage - 1.5 teaspoons of TQ per pound (you can, optionally, add 1/4 teaspoon of salt per pound in addition to the TQ, but it is not necessary).

To dry-brine whole cuts of meat - 1 tablespoon of TQ per pound (no additional salt needed).

Good luck, whichever way you go, and enjoy!
        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

I opened the pack, sure just looks like pink cure.
          I'm just going to use 1/8 teaspoon per pound and go for it!

Comment

If it's store bought seasoning mixes I would not use TQ. They'll already have salt in it, you'd more than likely be doubling the salt content.
            sigpic

Comment

IMO, if you have a sausage seasoning package with spices, and cure, use both as suggested by the manufacturer
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                IMO, if you have a sausage seasoning package with spices, and cure, use both as suggested by the manufacturer
                Well, that's my problem...the dang company left out the cure package for this packet of seasoning...

But I have one from the high mountain. I'm pretty sure its just insta cure #1 in the High mountain kit.

The stick mix says to use .03lbs of speed cure for 12.5lbs of meat so I'm just going to use the high mountain cure at the .03 lb rate. Should be ok. I looked in the packet and I know looks are not the way to go,...BUT it sure just looks like the pink stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                  If it's store bought seasoning mixes I would not use TQ. They'll already have salt in it, you'd more than likely be doubling the salt content.
                  That's a good possibility. I was under the assumption that redruff was using the cure in the Hi-Country pack, but not the seasonings.

If using the seasonings along with the cure, then no TQ is needed or desired.
                  Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

So, to understand the situation: you're using the Hi-Country cure from one package and the seasoning mix from another package?

If that is the case, then I would say to follow the directions from the Hi-Country package for the cure (1/8 teaspoon per pound), and the directions from the other package for the seasoning only.

The TQ is if you are making your own recipe - sorry for the misunderstanding!
                    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                      That's a good possibility. I was under the assumption that redruff was using the cure in the Hi-Country pack, but not the seasonings.

If using the seasonings along with the cure, then no TQ is needed or desired.
                      you assumed right, using the Hi Mt. cure with a PS Seasoning Teriyaki seasoning mix.

Comment

Originally posted by redruff View Post
                        you assumed right, using the Hi Mt. cure with a PS Seasoning Teriyaki seasoning mix.
                        Follow Hi Mt cure amount and not PS. They could be using something different.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                          Follow Hi Mt cure amount and not PS. They could be using something different.
                          Yep ~
                          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

hmmmm the math is odd...

Hi Mt says 1/8 tsp per lb. so .125X12.5lbs of meat = 1.56 teaspoons.

1.56 teaspoons = .02lbs
                            the PS Seasonings says to use .03lbs of cure

shit, i'm a little PO'ed at PS. There shipping is super slow and then they screwed up the order.....arrrrgghhh.

Comment

Do you have other options?

What type of meat do you have ready?

Are you set on making Summer sausage only?

Do you have Hog or Sheep or other types of casings?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X