No announcement yet.

cure amt..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite often..as is the case with my Jerky Cure package..the salt of the mix is mixed with the cure in the same package. Sooo..you don’t know WHAT you have. You MAY have the right amount of cure... for X amount of meat but have no clue the salt you are adding.

My advice is make some fresh sausage and get a refund from PS. That sucks.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

It's all good, Red - just measure it out and it will surely be fine. If you have a 1/8 teaspoon measurement, then measure out 12 of them and then for the half you can either "eyeball" it or round up. If you want to use a scale, just go to the .02 pound, like you calculated. Odds are that PS's scale read it as .03, or it was some big, long decimal and someone rounded it up. Another option might be to convert to a smaller measurement, like grams.

I really don't mean to sound so cavalier about it, and I am sure a few folks are cringing as they read this, but these packages are made for home use, not the NASA laboratories. It will be fine if you stick to the cure directions!
      Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 12-05-2015, 09:20 PM.
      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
      Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Quite often..as is the case with my Jerky Cure package..the salt of the mix is mixed with the cure in the same package. Sooo..you don’t know WHAT you have. You MAY have the right amount of cure... for X amount of meat but have no clue the salt you are adding.

I was typing my reply as Rich posted his. If you want to know FOR SURE, then his advice is the best way to go. Make some brats and freeze them, or maybe some Swedish potato sausage, since Christmas is coming up!
        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Or - what kind of sausage are you trying to make? Chances are, the folks here can set you up with a recipe "from scratch."
          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
            It's all good, Red - just measure it out and it will surely be fine. If you have a 1/8 teaspoon measurement, then measure out 12 of them and then for the half you can either "eyeball" it or round up. If you want to use a scale, just go to the .02 pound, like you calculated. Odds are that PS's scale read it as .03, or it was some big, long decimal and someone rounded it up. Another option might be to convert to a smaller measurement, like grams.

I really don't mean to sound so cavalier about it, and I am sure a few folks are cringing as they read this, but these packages are made for home use, not the NASA laboratories. It will be fine if you stick to the cure directions!

I'm pretty confident you are right. The PS package says right on it, "Use .03lbs of speed cure. Or use Celery Juice Powder.(not included)."

I'm confident that the High Mountain cure packet is nothing more than speed cure, I think you are right in that its all good.

what am I making...
            Teriyaki snack stick that needs to be cured,
            then making tomato,basil, parmesan fresh sausage and onion garlic fresh.

I have a ton of venison and every one wants something for christmas!!

Comment

I hear that...but worse case...if my thinking is right, it will at least be cured correctly just under salted...

ya I have not been happy with PS on the last couple orders.

Comment

Fry test!
                Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                  Fry test!
                  yep.

shit Rich you are right, the speed cure lists Salt as an ingredient on the PS bag.

DAMN think I gotta pull the plug on the snack stick

Comment

I haven't gotten any from Hi Mountain in years, but when I did, they had 2 separate packs.
                    One was Seasoning for 25 pounds of meat, and one was Cure for 25 pounds of meat (1 ounce).

So I know what I got was a big pack of seasoning & a 1 ounce pack of Cure #1.

Bear
                    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

The kit I have is for 30lbs. of meat.
                      One big bag of seasoning and TWO little packets of cure so you can split into 15lb batches.

I'm just going to wait on the sticks. The PS kit is a Teriyaki seasoning and I'm afraid it could real salty real quick if I mess with it.

I'll get ahold of PS on Monday they will send out a packet..but it will take 10 days!!!

Comment

Originally posted by redruff View Post

I'll get ahold of PS on Monday they will send out a packet..but it will take 10 days!!!
                        10 days? I’d be outta bizness if I shipped like that. I have run outta stock..my bad... but if you don’t have an order from me in 3 days..I’ll explain why.
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

10 days? I’d be outta bizness if I shipped like that. I have run outta stock..my bad... but if you don’t have an order from me in 3 days..I’ll explain why.
                          Yeah, that's a bit extreme. I had ordered a camera lens from one vendor on ebay, and a UV filter for that lens from a different vendor on ebay. I got the lens in 3 days... the filter took 2 weeks!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

ya they say 3-5 days to process the order on the website! ok, but lately my orders have not hit the mail for 5-6 days. then 3 days to get to my door!
                            I called on one real late order and they apologized and said, "they had to mix a batch" ????

Comment

Originally posted by redruff View Post
                              I called on one real late order and they apologized and said, "they had to mix a batch" ????
                              If I gotta mix a batch I mix it. Have triple beam, will travel. Err- ship actually. After all I DO have the recipes

Comment

If I gotta mix a batch I mix it. Have triple beam, will travel. Err- ship actually. After all I DO have the recipes
                                So you expanding your inventory to premixed stick/brat mixes anytime soon??

Comment

Working...
                                X