Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisket

Got a small brisket all covered in JAB and SnP this morning. It is currently in the fridge soaking in the those fine flavors. Tomorrow it will go in the MES at 250 with the A-maze_n smoker.

I do have a question for the pros here. If I wish for my brisket to be medium rare to medium, what IT should I be looking for? I do not like over done beef.

Also, and suggestions on panning, yes or no, and if so when during the process?

Take it easy on me, this is my first brisket. At least I got the Mad Hunky part right.
    sigpic

USAF 1982-2008 Desert Storm Vet
    American Legion Riders
    Patriot Guard Riders

Originally posted by Fender60 View Post
    If I wish for my brisket to be medium rare to medium, what IT should I be looking for? I do not like over done beef.
    Well . . . brisket is not something that you cook to medium rare to medium. That is if you would like to be able to chew it.

Most folks wrap in foil at 160ish and pull it off at 195ish OR when an temp probe goes in like butter. Then wrap in towels and let it sit in a cooler for an hour or so.

Got to cook it long and slow for it to be tender.

Give this thread a read if you have not done so yet.
    http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6210

It's a packer but full of good info all the same.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
      Well . . . brisket is not something that you cook to medium rare to medium. That is if you would like to be able to chew it.

Most folks wrap in foil at 160ish and pull it off at 195ish OR when an temp probe goes in like butter. Then wrap in towels and let it sit in a cooler for an hour or so.

Got to cook it long and slow for it to be tender.

Give this thread a read if you have not done so yet.
      http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6210

It's a packer but full of good info all the same.

Dave
      X2

I will add some liquid (beer or beef stock) when foiling or panning.
      sigpic

Comment

Brisket cooked like a roast is not something you would want to eat free at a restaurant.

Nasty chewy meat.

DDave has it right. Don't we have a brisket tutorial or at least 500 posts about cooking brisket?

Comment

Yup, cook that puppy to 195ish... you don't want med-rare with a brisket!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Agreed. You don't like chewing leather do you? Brisket should be done @195 deg F IT. Let it rest a while in a cooler and slice it against the grain for tender wonderfullness. Brisket is not like cooking a steak medium rare and having a good piece of meat. A medium rare brisket will be a major disappointment.
            Arron W.

YS 640
            Primo Oval XL
            Lone Star Grillz 30x36 cabinet smoker
            Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
            Weber Copper Top
            Old Smokey
            Orion
            Gasser
            2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
            24" Disco with custom burner
            Red Thermapen
            2-Maverick ET-733
            Orange Thermoworks Smoke

R.I.P my little buddy Zazu. 10/4/2020. We miss you.
            sigpic

Comment

When you slice it, pay attention to the grain. The grain runs on an angle, you want to cut across the grain. So it should look something like this:

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Med-rare brisket... heh. Yes..I know it’s strange to think of beef at 190+..but there is so much sinew and collagen in that hunk that that is the ONLY way it’s edible. At med-rare you COULD re-tread your flip-flops tho.. good for another 10K...

How’s it going?
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                  When you slice it, pay attention to the grain. The grain runs on an angle, you want to cut across the grain. So it should look something like this:

That is friggin beuuuutiful!

Comment

Dawg Gone P3, thats is a lofty goal, looks like some of that brisket perfection voodoo that you do
                    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

And one more
                      sigpic

Comment

Well considering I did everything wrong from jump street, I managed to get the damn brisket cooked. I smoked it for about 7 hours before putting it in a pan and covering it. But before that got done, somehow my A-maze-N smoker somehow started burning all three rows at one time. The wife and took the dog for a walk in a local state park and when we got back I knew something was wrong because there was way too much smoke coming out of the MES.

Opened the door and holy crap, I saw the A-maze-N smoker lit up like a bunch of potheads on a bender. It was hard enough to get lit; I have no idea how it went from that to all hell burning. I think where I placed it in the MES may have contributed to the malfunction.

I also had fatty in the mix and it turned out ok. Heck, the brisket actually turned out to be tender and tasty, but dry. It wasn't a big one and between the wife, my son and me, it about got destroyed. Still, I know it will be a very long time before I try a brisket again. And I will do massive research before attempting one again, if ever.

I am now relaxing with a very large Glenlevit on ice and contemplating just what I can screw up next. Hell, I even managed to screw up my NASCAR fantasy league so bad, I didn't earn any points. Not sure how that happened as I had selected JJ, Jr, Chase Elliot and one other driver. JJ won, Jr was second and Chase was top ten. So I deleted that crap as I didn't need the hassle.
                        sigpic

USAF 1982-2008 Desert Storm Vet
                        American Legion Riders
                        Patriot Guard Riders

Comment

I am now relaxing with a very large Glenlevit on ice and contemplating just what I can screw up next.
                          You can't go wrong there....
                          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Ah hell man. Some days chicken..some feathers. I am amazed at the Amazin fire too...?
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Well considering I did everything wrong from jump street, I managed to get the damn brisket cooked. I smoked it for about 7 hours before putting it in a pan and covering it. But before that got done, somehow my A-maze-N smoker somehow started burning all three rows at one time. The wife and took the dog for a walk in a local state park and when we got back I knew something was wrong because there was way too much smoke coming out of the MES.

Opened the door and holy crap, I saw the A-maze-N smoker lit up like a bunch of potheads on a bender. It was hard enough to get lit; I have no idea how it went from that to all hell burning. I think where I placed it in the MES may have contributed to the malfunction.

I also had fatty in the mix and it turned out ok. Heck, the brisket actually turned out to be tender and tasty, but dry. It wasn't a big one and between the wife, my son and me, it about got destroyed. Still, I know it will be a very long time before I try a brisket again. And I will do massive research before attempting one again, if ever.

I am now relaxing with a very large Glenlevit on ice and contemplating just what I can screw up next. Hell, I even managed to screw up my NASCAR fantasy league so bad, I didn't earn any points. Not sure how that happened as I had selected JJ, Jr, Chase Elliot and one other driver. JJ won, Jr was second and Chase was top ten. So I deleted that crap as I didn't need the hassle.

It's all good brother.. We ALL have had our struggles.. Keep at it and ask if not sure.. That is how we all learn.. We are in this together..
                              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Working...
                              X