Sunken Anova

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunken Anova

Had my Anova Precision attached to a cooler in my garage with a Tri Tip cooking. Came back out and the unit had fallen into the water and was submerged. Checked owners manual and the company says to not use these things again if this happens and suggests sending in for repairs. This seems a bit extreme, but wanted to check to see if anyone else has had this happen. If so did you just let it dry out and did it work again?

You could try drying it in the microwave...No......No that wont work...Sorry...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Can you disassemble it? Maybe try the old school trick of putting the electronic part in a bag of uncooked rice to attempt to draw out the water?
      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

At least ghet some copressed air to blow out the liquid. And right away. And open it up and get it drying right away. It there are unprotected bearings ack. And the 120 VAC caps and rectifiers.

Hate to think "He's dead Jim" Good luck!

Comment

I’d dry it as best ya can and send it in. That’s nothing you wanna have malfunctioning...and a very possible electrocution hazard.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

My better half accidentally dropped my Anova and broke the mounting bracket. I sent an email to Anova.........told what and how it happened (our fault, not theirs) and they sent a new bracket 2-day express.....no cost to me. So for me, their customer service is great.
            I don't know how water tight the guts are but for safety......I would send it back.
            JMTC.......
            Brad

Comment

Personally, I'd send it in for repairs. And get a vessel that the clamp works more reliably on...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                That’s nothing you wanna have malfunctioning...and a very possible electrocution hazard.
                Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                Personally, I'd send it in for repairs.
                Yep. Something with an electric heating element that you stick in water . . .

I'd be inclined to go with the manufacturer's recommendation in this situation for sure.
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  I’d dry it as best ya can and send it in. That’s nothing you wanna have malfunctioning...and a very possible electrocution hazard.
                  I would have to agree with Richtee about the danger. However...
                  If it didn't blow a breaker, and didn't short out, it may be sealed well enough to be water resistant. Follow the factory recommendation and be safe not sorry. It sounds like they will take care of you, if you send it in to have it checked out. Protect yourself and your investment. You bought it to do a precise job..... make sure it still will.

A trick I have found that works well with cell phones and instant read thermometers that have gone swimming is to bury them in a bag of rice for a few days. It really works well and draws out the moisture without using any heat. Please don't ask me why I know this. That said, neither one is plugged into enough power to give you a serious jolt when you turn them back on.

Comment

A phone is 5 volts at .5 max amps. An Anova is 120 volts at 3-8 amps. Lots LOTS more watts Volts x amps = watts.

Be safe.

Comment

Rice cannot dehydrate. Try one of the following:

1. Put the Anova in a pressure cooker. Use your Foodsaver’s vacuum tube to suck out the air form the PC’s vent tube/hole. Water evaporates quickly in vacuum.

2. Put lot’s of snow melt salt in a pot and lay your Anova on top of the salt. Cover the pot. Salt is a very good dehydrator. Ever notice how the salt can turn into liquid if left out in the open?

dcarch

Comment

Unfortunately calcium chloride has dust and vapors. Little- but conduct very well.

My concern is not the moisture any longer, but the deposits left behind. It needs to be cleaned and checked out.
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                          Can you disassemble it? Maybe try the old school trick of putting the electronic part in a bag of uncooked rice to attempt to draw out the water?
                          That's an old wives' tale. The rice does absolutely nothing and cannot draw water from the interior. Anyone who's "saved" something in this fashion merely got lucky. In fact the real culprit is not even the water, but the impurities in water which cause instant corrosion when current is applied to the circuits. You're better off dunking the whole thing in rubbing alcohol, but even then the majority of the damage is already done.

Check out this website if you doubt. Trent knows what he's doing and is one of the top water-damage repairmen in the country. http://riceisfordinner.com
                          Mike
                          Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                            You're better off dunking the whole thing in rubbing alcohol, but even then the majority of the damage is already done.
                            Whut he said ^

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                              That's an old wives' tale. The rice does absolutely nothing and cannot draw water from the interior. Anyone who's "saved" something in this fashion merely got lucky. In fact the real culprit is not even the water, but the impurities in water which cause instant corrosion when current is applied to the circuits. You're better off dunking the whole thing in rubbing alcohol, but even then the majority of the damage is already done.

Check out this website if you doubt. Trent knows what he's doing and is one of the top water-damage repairmen in the country. http://riceisfordinner.com

I was thinking you could just dump the water in the rice and have a snack while your replacement is shipped!
                              sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Working...
                              X