Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step by step jerky recipe

Well this is how I do it anyway.

Sorry the pics seem alittle fuzzy, I don't know what caused it and by the time I discovered it , it was to late to re do. But good enough to get the point.

The Fruits of my Loin

This is a step by step of how I dry cure and smoke my Jerky
    I have used this basic recipe that I had come up with for; Beef, venison and chicken jerky with good results.
    It is recommended that you use the leanest meat possible for jerky and I had always wanted to try using a pork loin.
    It is lean in the middle and you can’t beat the price, it is usually under $2.00 a pound here.

I picked this one up for $1.79 a pound and it weighs 4.98 pounds, Totaling $8.91

Removed most all the fat and membrane, and it trimmed up pretty good.

Got it all sliced at about ¼ inch thick and ended up with 3 ½ pounds for jerky.

I re-trimmed the scraps of additional membrane and had 1-½ pounds to add to my future sausage-making excursion.
    The small pile is about ¼ pound of waste.

Carefully measured for each pound of meat:

1 Tbls. Morton Tender Quick
    1 Tbls. Brown Sugar
    1 tsp. Garlic Powder
    1 tsp. Onion Powder
    1 tsp. Fresh Course Black Pepper
    ¼ tsp. Cayenne Pepper

And mix to blend well.

In order to get a even distribution of the seasoning/cure I placed half or 1 3/4 pound each on separate sheet pans.

Weighed the seasoning/cure and divided by 2. I had 4 ounces of the mix so put 2 ounces in a shaker bottle for one pan of meat.

2 ounces of the mix filled the shaker bottle so I just eyeballed ½ the bottle per side of meat. Evenly distribute the mix on one side and let it set for a couple minutes, flip it over and do the same to the other side.

I then combine the meat on one pan and flop it around wiping the excess cure laying on the pan.

Then just bag it up in a zip lock, squeeze the air out and seal. Let this set for 24 hours. I knead it a couple times while it’s curing.

After the curing time is up I lay the meat out on screens and let set at room temp, while I go out and heat up the smoker.
    I have the smoker in the pole barn and figured it a good idea to have a fire extinguisher handy. The wood for the day is cherry, it was one small split and I cut it into 5 chunks and thats all the wood I will be burning over the top of lump.

It took an hour to heat up so stacked the screens with the meat and headed out to make some jerky.

I like to keep the smoker running between 175 and 190, so in it goes.

Normally beef or venison only take about 2 hours to where I like it. And I cut my beef maybe a little closer to 3/8 inch thick. This pork was close to ¼ inch and it took 3 ½ hours to get the squeeze I like.

The texture of pork loin jerky is a lot different than beef or venison, it’s pretty chewy. The flavor is real good and I thought it would taste more like ham, but it tasted like jerky and I liked it. I like beef better. But for under 2 dollars a pound It’s great. I ended up with exactly half of the wet weight 1.75 pounds when finished.

So here is pork loin jerky.

I'll be damn.. Thats some fine looking pig jerk...

Me thinks, I have a idea....

Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Lee, I've been to the grocery several times this week. Loins have been on sale and I keep telling myself to pick a couple up. But I change my mind, seems I've been using a lot of loins lately. So dude, I'm a little pissed at ya. !!!

Hadn't every given a loin a second thought for jerky, well until now. Guess I'll give this a try. Sure looks good.

Bravo and very nice step by step.

Comment

"Very intrestink!" Not hammy eh? Guess I gotta give it a run for curiosity's sake. Good post Lee! Points!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Great tutorial. Love it. Thanks for sharing.points
          sigpic

Comment

Very good thread! Pics are a bit blurry, but ya gotta get some points for the effort, and for satisfying my curiousity!
            Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Thanks, I usually can take a better pic than that. must of been on the wrong setting.

Comment

Looks very good Lee. I'm gonna give this recipe a try on some venison. Thanks.
                S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

Very nice tutorial Lee,
                  I can't get over how cheap loin is by you! It's a bit pricey here, I was gonna stuff one the other day for the girls and it was just a little one and it was over $20.00, so I went with the chuckie..
                  When I see one on sale I am gonna nab it for jerky, cabana boy loves it!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Looks good. Something else I gotta try. Good job.
                    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Nice thread, Lee and that jerky looks great!
                      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                      Pink Thermapen
                      Purple Thermapen

Comment

Pics look ok to me. Nice looking jerky Lee. I bought some pork jerky before at the Dublin General Store that is BBQ(sauce) flavored. Good stuff.
                        sigpic

GOSM/propane
                        UDS (Cam)/lump
                        22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                        Weber Genesis/propane
                        Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

bump

Kelly, we have bone in pork loins on sale this week for .99 cents a lb.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Great job. Thanks for the post Lee and for the outcome. All the best...
                            ---------------------------------------------------
                            I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                            ---------------------------------------------------
                            KCBS CBJ

Comment

Thanks, Gee that's an older post. I forgot about this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X