X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerky on, Jerky off

Jerky on.

Jerky off.

I bought 3 brisket flats for St. Patrick's Day for corned beef, I had ordered them from a meat packer I know up north and didn't realize they trimmed them so well ( you should see their fatty stew meat ). Anyway there wasn't much fat on them to speak of and the corned beef was a tad on the dry side. I only cured two of them, so had 1 more in the freezer and decided to just make jerky out of it. For me this is about second worse to bottom round beef. I have made alot of jerky and I would have to say the best has come from venison and second to that, pork loin. I am going to take kingadaroads advice on the flank steak next time. The flavor is great, it's just a real tough chew.

I like the jerky off

Jerky is one of the things I have yet to try but yours sure looks great
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Looks real good Lee. If ya want it less tough to chew then slice against the grain...

Best jerky I ever made was goose breast........
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
        I am going to take kingadaroads advice on the flank steak next time.

That was Fishawn's advice on the flank. I still need to try that, but I like the London Broil. But your right about the venison.

I bet it still doesn't last long.
        Keith

Comment

I'll take a pound...address coming in PM...
          Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Ooops. Sorry Scott, and thanks King, I'll have to try both of them cut's.

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
              Looks real good Lee. If ya want it less tough to chew then slice against the grain...

Best jerky I ever made was goose breast........
              Also marinade with coca cola or a little pineapple juice will seriously tenderise it :-)

I'll definitely take some of the Off jerky :-)
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Jerky look's great Lee...
                ---------------------------------------------------
                I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                ---------------------------------------------------
                KCBS CBJ

Comment

That is some fine looking Jerky their Lee!..... Color is wonderful .... I'm the Flank Steak Jerky Monster.... ..... I personally like Flank best cut with the grain, not oversmoked so its still fairly moist & tender & best of all is the stringy way it pulls apart. It keeps me entertained for hours.......... (Am I Strange?).....

Nice one CA on the Coke & Pineapple juice never thought of that but I bet you are right on..... How about Pork Jerky with Pineapple Juice added. There is a shop in my town that sells Hawaiian Pork Jerky that is Da Bomb! and has a sweet Pineapple kinda flavor.
                  sigpic

Comment

I know what ya mean Scott. I like to pull mine just when they still have alittle squeeze to them when you push on em. Usually it only takes about 3 hours running 150 to 160, though depends on how thick they are obviousley.

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                    That is some fine looking Jerky their Lee!..... Color is wonderful .... I'm the Flank Steak Jerky Monster.... ..... I personally like Flank best cut with the grain, not oversmoked so its still fairly moist & tender & best of all is the stringy way it pulls apart. It keeps me entertained for hours.......... (Am I Strange?).....

Nice one CA on the Coke & Pineapple juice never thought of that but I bet you are right on..... How about Pork Jerky with Pineapple Juice added. There is a shop in my town that sells Hawaiian Pork Jerky that is Da Bomb! and has a sweet Pineapple kinda flavor.

Comment

Working...
                    X