Dehydrators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dehydrators

Hey, I know a lot of you guys make jerky. My wife is a big dehydrator user, and we had a plastic one given to us that she has used so much the heat has cracked all the trays on it. So she emails me this:

"Puulleeeeeeeeeeessssssssssseeeeeeee ask the BBQ boys about dehydrators for durability and safety from nasty chemicals, etc. Also, what do they use for small screens (for drying small stuff)."

Can ya help her out? She's looking to buy a new one.

Hmmm....I got a plastic one also. I use the plastic grates that you can get for a Big Chief smoker. Ya know Ken posted a link on how to make one. I got it on my to do list.

Found it....http://courtneymeier.artifex.org/dehydrator/index.html
    Last edited by Slanted88; 06-24-2010, 04:17 PM. Reason: Added link
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

This is what we have and its works very well good product! http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/ You may want to check it out I would shop around. Hope it helps!
      " When you lose, don't lose the lesson "

Comment

She is concerned about chemicals leaching from plastics in dehydrators.

The plans look interesting! Hmmm...

Comment

I got one from Wal-Mart a long time ago and it is in good shape still. I have 8 racks I can use and the heating element is electric with a blower fan on top. It goes no higher then 165. I only use it for jerky and have been really pleased with the results it gives. I think I paid like $45 for it. I know I have had it close to 15 years.
          If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
          Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

I too have an Exxcalibur dehydrator and have had it over 10 years. Never had a bit of problem drying anything I wanted to in it. Onions, garlic, carrots, peas, potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, strawberries, blueberries, bananas and of course lots and LOTS of sweet and hot peppers. I used to make fruit leather for my grandkids in it too.

Excaliburs are great!

I used to have one of the round Ronco dehydrators and gave it away when I got the Excalibur.

Comment

Thanks. I am gonna send her the link to this thread.

Comment

I too have an excalibur.
                Brilliant bit of kit, I do a lot of snacksticks in it.

They are not cheap, but they are worth the money.

To save money buy the cheap model and then plug it into one of the adjustable timer switches. For a couple of bucks you then have full control over the timing :-)

One of these - just so you know what I'm talking about:

This one is currently set to run a batch of mad hunky snackstix for 6 1/2 hours.
                :-)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-27-2010, 08:41 AM.
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Saw an interesting thing on Good Eats the other night. Alton was talking about not using heat in the dehydrators because that's essentially cooking it, more or less instead of actually dehydrating it.

What he did was get a regular old box fan, and 4 or 5 of the filter elements for your homes heater (the paper kind, not the fiberglass) and a few pieces of the plastic (or maybe they were metal) grates from a commercial dehydrator. Then he made a sandwich outta the parts....

Filter
                  grate
                  food
                  grate
                  filter
                  grate
                  food
                  grate
                  filter
                  (etc)
                  fan

Said not to go over 5 (i think) layers or the airflow would be too restricted. Then he bungy corded the whole stack to the fan and turned it on. He put it in the shower in his unused bathroom and let it go for 42-48 hours.

Seems like a pretty cheap and economical way to go to me.
                  Mike
                  Life In Pit Row

Comment

I use 2... 9 tray excaliburs....Never had a problem....Probably 2000 hours plus on both of them....

Comment

think fishawn or walking dude uses/used the fan method. certainly remember someone mentioning it a while ago.

Anyway the excaliburs have temperature control so I can do any temp drying/cooking I like :-)

Mind you they've started flogging those cheapo flying saucer dehydrators over here for not much money.
                      Don't think you can turn the heat down on those.
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbob View Post
                        She is concerned about chemicals leaching from plastics in dehydrators.
                        Hmm- I'm pretty sure all the plastics in contact with the food are food grade stuff. Perhaps a "dry run" or two at temps would ensure the neutrality of the "guts" but I'd have to think this would be of little concern. Then again... I have seen stupider stuff I suppose.
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

pretty sure the tray liners excalibur use are silicon based. so definitely chemical leach free.

Given that most of the whole vegan food nuts (people who only eat live fruit, shoots and nuts - weirdos don't even smoke it lol) all seem to use excaliburs, I'd say chemical contamination isn't going to be an issue :-)
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

excalibur
                            MES 30'
                            Weber Gensis
                            UDS build in progress
                            Big Chief
                            1999 Weber Kettle-Black
                            1980's NIB smokey Joe
                            IGRILL WHITE

I spent half my money on woman and booze the rest i wasted.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Grill...8512882?ref=hl

Comment

Working...
                            X