smoked some crappie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoked some crappie

started out by mixing a brine using mortens sugar cure .coverd each fillet liberally and left them in the fridge over night.I've found by past expierience to cut the cure under by a big 1/2 or they'll be way to salty.Itook them outthis morning and soaked them in fresh water for a few min and fired up the vault this morn to 225 deg and smoked for about 2.5 hrwith alder. sprinkled with brn sugar about 15 min before pulling out of the smoker .Turned out awfully good .
    Attached Files
    2-22.5'' weber
    1-18'' weber
    1 smokey joe
    22.5'' wsm
    24'' smoke vault
    1-outhouse
    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
    Smoked meathead #135

I need to try this.. I have crappie fillets in the freezer but they have no skin on the one side... Will I have a issue of the fish falling apart during the smoke??
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Crappie (Crop-ie) is anything but crappy LOL! Great fish and durn good eatin'. Gonna try this one Bill.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
        I need to try this.. I have crappie fillets in the freezer but they have no skin on the one side... Will I have a issue of the fish falling apart during the smoke??
        Dont know Ken Ive never tried it but would bet it might be okay .should try it some time.remember if you use the sugar cure cut way back on the cure when mixing it.but they are mighty tasty.
        2-22.5'' weber
        1-18'' weber
        1 smokey joe
        22.5'' wsm
        24'' smoke vault
        1-outhouse
        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Them look mighty tastey bill!

Ken, just get ya one them fine screened grill trays, should hold em tagether fer ya!
          sigpic

Comment

sounds good
            Brian
            http://www.youtube.com/user/btjohnson83
            You can follow me on twitter at
            http://www.twitter.com/btjohnson83

CGSP w/ mods
            38" Smoke Hollow/early fathers day gift, yay!
            wally world kettle grill

Comment

Originally posted by travcoman45 View Post
              Them look mighty tastey bill!

Ken, just get ya one them fine screened grill trays, should hold em tagether fer ya!

Yes sir, That will work..
              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Thanks for the post, Bill. I've been hesitant to try anything other than trout or salmon. Didn't want to ruin any crappie or bass but now I'm all over it.
                sigpic
                Smoke Vault 24

Comment

used to gut and gill em, soak in a brine and smoke them whole. came aprt real nice with good bone meat separation. crappies are pretty good smoked as well as a good table fish. nice job bill!!! been a long time since i smoked any crappies!!!
                  Charbroil SFB
                  GOSM
                  MES
                  Dutch Ovens and other CI
                  Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                  Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

T-H you could lay them out on some foil or maybe even parchment paper. I did salmon with skin on with foil and when I removed the foil the skin had come off with it. So a light coat of oil and you should be fine.
                    If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                    Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Good job. How'd they taste? Compared to other smoked fish.

Crappies are my favorite panfish. Since getting the smoker, I've thought about smoking some. But all the ones I get, well.... just seem to dissappear. Lol. I may have to try it, if I can keep some around long enough.
                      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                        Good job. How'd they taste? Compared to other smoked fish.

Crappies are my favorite panfish. Since getting the smoker, I've thought about smoking some. But all the ones I get, well.... just seem to dissappear. Lol. I may have to try it, if I can keep some around long enough.
                        you'd absolutly lovem .walley and crappie are my faverite smoked fish.they have none of the oil in them that say ,trout salmon .white fish or tullibies have.its a real dry true smoked fish taste.
                        2-22.5'' weber
                        1-18'' weber
                        1 smokey joe
                        22.5'' wsm
                        24'' smoke vault
                        1-outhouse
                        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Bill, that sounds and looks excellent! I can't wait to give it a try.
                          jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

From the look of the last picture they seem to be well done (didn't want to say overcooked since it implies a mistake) and dry. Now I have cooked other fish to that point for use in dips and fish spreads. Will the fish be ate as is or are you doing something with them? Or did I just see the photo wrong? Just interested to know since I do not smoke much in the way of fish. (I hate filleting fish)
                            "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
                            PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Comment

Originally posted by Vlap View Post
                              From the look of the last picture they seem to be well done (didn't want to say overcooked since it implies a mistake) and dry. Now I have cooked other fish to that point for use in dips and fish spreads. Will the fish be ate as is or are you doing something with them? Or did I just see the photo wrong? Just interested to know since I do not smoke much in the way of fish. (I hate filleting fish)
                              The pic does them no justice they were perfectly moist on the inside but along the edges they were a little to salty and I think that showed in the pics worse than it was. like I said next time I will cut back even more on the cure since they are such a thin fish.
                              2-22.5'' weber
                              1-18'' weber
                              1 smokey joe
                              22.5'' wsm
                              24'' smoke vault
                              1-outhouse
                              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Working...
                              X