Salmon Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salmon Jerky

The other fillet that I bought the other day was turned in to salmon jerky, also known as Indian Candy. I skinned the salmon and then sliced it in to about 1/2" thick strips.

The brine was just equal amounts of non-iodized salt and brown sugar. I threw the salmon in the bag and zipped it closed. Shook it till the salmon was covered and in the fridge it went for 24 hours. This morning there was quite a bit of liquid in the bag. I drained the strips and rinsed them well. (Looking back I should have soaked them for a while.)

They were smoked at 120 for 4 hours using maple. They were a good texture, just very salty.

I will be soaking them a while, mixing them with some brown rice, peas and carrots and some seasoning. Should be pretty good.
    Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
    1 Maverick ET-73
    1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Surprised with no cure... Might want to consider that. There used to be something similar sold called "Blind Robins" packaged like jerky. Think it was chub or something tho. Salted as all get-out.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I was surprised too, Rich. If I find a good sale again I will give the TQ a try.
      Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
      Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
      1 Maverick ET-73
      1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

rich all the europaen salmon cures are pretty much just seasalt and sugar with the odd flavouring or seasoning.
        Cold smoked is just that. Gravad lax is more sugar than salt and lots of dill - plus you leave that for a week or so.

Also bear in mind that seasalt (what would traditionally be used) contains sufficient nitrates to provide long term protection and curing if not enough for short term curing.
        Also the quantities of salt involved are more than sufficient and if it's then dried it's got added protection there.
        Also sugar is also a great antiobacterial agent in sufficient quantities. One of the main ways of preserving fruit used to be to candy it - it's only in fairly weak solution that sugar becomes a bacterial food.
        Ever seen mould on molasses ? Nope. that's why.

medieaval scandanavia survived the whole winter on dried salted cod. Actually a lot of scandanavia still does.
        That and rotted shark lol

So dawn - just how fishy is this stuff ?
        I've seen salmon jerky in canada - but didn't want to run any through my dehydrator in case it made my workshop smell like a fish mongers :-)

But it could be something else to add to my jerky-for-sale list.
        Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-06-2009, 03:18 PM.
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

if it's that salty, it might make good bait...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X