This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Flavor Chart

ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.

ALMOND - A sweet smoke flavor, light ash. Good with all meats.

APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork.

ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor. Good with fish and red meats.

BEECH - The wood of the Beechnut produces a mild, somewhat delicate smoked flavor. Since it is a hardwood, it remains longer for smoking before it turns to ash. Similar to, but not as sweet as hickory, more like pecan.

BIRCH - Medium-hard wood with a flavor similar to maple. Good with pork and poultry.

CHERRY - Mild and fruity. Good with poultry, pork and beef. Some List members say the cherry wood is the best wood for smoking. Wood from chokecherry trees may produce a bitter flavor.

COTTONWOOD - It is a softer wood than alder and very subtle in flavor. Use it for fuel but use some chunks of other woods (hickory, oak, pecan) for more flavor. Don't use green cottonwood for smoking.

CRABAPPLE - Similar to apple wood.

GRAPEVINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb.

HICKORY - Most commonly used wood for smoking--the King of smoking woods. Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor. Good with pork, ham and beef.

LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and lamb.

MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.

MESQUITE - Strong earthy flavor. Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game. One of the hottest burning woods.

MULBERRY - The smell is sweet and reminds one of apple.

OAK - Heavy smoke flavor--the Queen of smoking wood. RED OAK is good on ribs, WHITE OAK makes the best coals for longer burning. All oak varieties reported as suitable for smoking. Good with red meat, pork, fish and heavy game.

OLIVE- A medium strength smoke, similar to pecan

ORANGE, LEMON and GRAPEFRUIT - Produces a nice mild smoky flavor. Excellent with beef, pork, fish and poultry.

PEAR - A nice subtle smoke flavor. Much like apple. Excellent with chicken and pork.

PECAN - Sweet and mild with a flavor similar to hickory. Tasty with a subtle character. Good with poultry, beef, pork and cheese. Pecan is an all-around superior smoking wood.

SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.

WALNUT - ENGLISH and BLACK - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter woods like almond, pear or apple. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats and game.

Other internet sources report that wood from the following trees is suitable for smoking: AVOCADO, BAY, CARROTWOOD, KIAWE, MADRONE, MANZANITA, GUAVA, OLIVE, BEECH, BUTTERNUT, FIG, GUM, CHESTNUT, HACKBERRY, PIMIENTO, PERSIMMON, and WILLOW. The ornamental varieties of fruit trees (i.e. pear, cherry, apple, etc.) are also suitable for smoking.

Types of wood that is unsuitable or even poisonous when used for grilling. Don't use any wood from conifer trees, such as PINE, FIR, SPRUCE, REDWOOD, CEDAR, CYPRESS, etc.

There are many trees and shrubs in this world that contain chemicals toxic to humans--toxins that can even survive the burning process. Remember, you are going to eat the meat that you grill and the smoke particles and chemicals from the wood and what may be on or in the wood are going to get on and in the meat. Use only wood for grilling that you are sure of.

If you have some wood and do not know what it is, DO NOT USE IT FOR GRILLING FOOD. Burn it in your fireplace but not your smoker.

Also ELM and EUCALYPTUS wood is unsuitable for smoking, as is the wood from SASSAFRAS, SYCAMORE and LIQUID AMBER trees.

Here are some more woods that you should not to use for smoking:

Never use lumber scraps, either new or used. First, you cannot know for sure what kind of wood it is; second, the wood may have been chemically treated; third, you have no idea where the wood may have been or how it was used. For all you know, that free oak planking could have been used in a sewage treatment plant.

Never use any wood that has been painted or stained. Paint and stains can impart a bitter taste to the meat and old paint often contains lead.
    Do not use wood scraps from a furniture manufacturer as this wood is often chemically treated.

Never use wood from old pallets. Many pallets are treated with chemicals that can be hazardous to your health and the pallet may have been used to carry chemicals or poison.

Avoid old wood that is covered with mold and fungus that can impart a bad taste to your meat.
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Originally posted by Smoked-Meat View Post
    CHERRY - Mild and fruity. Good with poultry, pork and beef. Some List members say the cherry wood is the best wood for smoking. Wood from chokecherry trees may produce a bitter flavor.
    There so many different kinds of cherry trees....what about wild cherry? Would that be OK to use?
    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
    Pink Thermapen
    Purple Thermapen

Comment

SM........all cherry is good.............

Ken........i thought Black Walnut was NOT a good smoking wood?

i have a couple of HUGE trees that needs to come down.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
        SM........all cherry is good.............

Ken........i thought Black Walnut was NOT a good smoking wood?

i have a couple of HUGE trees that needs to come down.

Its acceptable but not prefered. Like it says, not to use it alone. Myself, I wouldn't use it at all, nore would I understand why anyone would. I believe it is listed because it isn't dangerous to use.
        Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Thanks, WD!
          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
          Pink Thermapen
          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Here is something I think erain had posted some time back about Black Walnut.

Black Walnut Toxicity to Plants, Humans and Horses

HYG-1148-93

Richard C. Funt
            Jane Martin

The roots of Black Walnut (Juglans nigra L.) and Butternut (Juglans cinerea L.) produce a substance known as juglone (5-hydroxy-alphanapthaquinone). Persian (English or Carpathian) walnut trees are sometimes grafted onto black walnut rootstocks. Many plants such as tomato, potato, blackberry, blueberry, azalea, mountain laurel, rhododendron, red pine and apple may be injured or killed within one to two months of growth within the root zone of these trees. The toxic zone from a mature tree occurs on average in a 50 to 60 foot radius from the trunk, but can be up to 80 feet. The area affected extends outward each year as a tree enlarges. Young trees two to eight feet high can have a root diameter twice the height of the top of the tree, with susceptible plants dead within the root zone and dying at the margins.

Not all plants are sensitive to juglone. Many trees, vines, shrubs, groundcovers, annuals and perennials will grow in close proximity to a walnut tree. Certain cultivars of "resistant" species are reported to do poorly. Black walnut has been recommended for pastures on hillsides in the Ohio Valley and Appalachian mountain regions. Trees hold the soil, prevent erosion and provide shade for cattle. The beneficial effect of black walnut on pastures in encouraging the growth of Kentucky bluegrass (Poa pratensis L.) and other grasses appears to be valid as long as there is sufficient sunlight and water.

Gardeners should carefully consider the planting site for black walnut, butternut, or persian walnut seedlings grafted to black walnut rootstock, if other garden or landscape plants are to be grown within the root zone of mature trees. Persian walnut seedlings or trees grafted onto Persian walnut rootstocks do not appear to have a toxic effect on other plants.
            Horses may be affected by black walnut chips or sawdust when they are used for bedding material. Close association with walnut trees while pollen is being shed (typically in May) also produce allergic symptoms in both horses and humans. The juglone toxin occurs in the leaves, bark and wood of walnut, but these contain lower concentrations than in the roots. Juglone is poorly soluble in water and does not move very far in the soil.

Walnut leaves can be composted because the toxin breaks down when exposed to air, water and bacteria. The toxic effect can be degraded in two to four weeks. In soil, breakdown may take up to two months. Black walnut leaves may be composted separately, and the finished compost tested for toxicity by planting tomato seedlings in it. Sawdust mulch, fresh sawdust or chips from street tree prunings from black walnut are not suggested for plants sensitive to juglone, such as blueberry or other plants that are sensitive to juglone. However, composting of bark for a minimum of six months provides a safe mulch even for plants sensitive to juglone.
            I use this wood. not much of it at any one smoke. Also the wood I use has seasoned for at least a year. That way there is no juglone present .. It is a strong wood, but it does add a little bite to some cuts that I have smoked. Everything that I read in this article talks about the leaves, roots, bark being toxic when green. And if dried, composted for the correct amount of time it can be safe.
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
              Its acceptable but not prefered. Like it says, not to use it alone. Myself, I wouldn't use it at all, nore would I understand why anyone would. I believe it is listed because it isn't dangerous to use.
              Originally posted by Smoked-Meat View Post

I use this wood. not much of it at any one smoke. Also the wood I use has seasoned for at least a year. That way there is no juglone present .. It is a strong wood, but it does add a little bite to some cuts that I have smoked. Everything that I read in this article talks about the leaves, roots, bark being toxic when green. And if dried, composted for the correct amount of time it can be safe.
              There are no dangers that i have found using Black Walnut to smoke.
              As said, fairly heavy smoke but sweeter than Mesquite.
              I have used it often on cuts of beef with great results!

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
                There are no dangers that i have found using Black Walnut to smoke.
                As said, fairly heavy smoke but sweeter than Mesquite.
                I have used it often on cuts of beef with great results!
                I have tried it. Din't care for it, but it did not have any negative effects that I noted. As a disclaimer, I don't like mesquite either...
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  I have tried it. Din't care for it, but it did not have any negative effects that I noted. As a disclaimer, I don't like mesquite either...

ditto for me on all counts!:)

Not a good wood for stickburners.
                  Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    ditto for me on all counts!:)

Not a good wood for stickburners.
                    Wow, no disrespect guys, but don't like Mesquite???

Can i ask why?

Brisket without Mesquite is like almost illegal in some states!

Comment

Wow, no disrespect guys, but don't like Mesquite???

Can i ask why?

Just a personal preference thats all. I really don't like the real strong woods. I use a lil hickory on occassion with beef, or ribs, but most of the time its cherry, oak, maple or apple.
                      Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

Wow, no disrespect guys, but don't like Mesquite??? Can i ask why?
                        Only in Texas, Bubba. Mesquite is too strong, and has a flavor I just do not care for. Brisket with pecan/hickory- NOW we be talking :{)
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Just a personal preference thats all. I really don't like the real strong woods. I use a lil hickory on occassion with beef, or ribs, but most of the time its cherry, oak, maple or apple.
                          what Dan said, bout cherry oak maple or apple, once in awhile hickory

but heck, i am from Iowa..........lolol

d88de puts himself out there for the RIDICULE, he knows is coming.........LOLOL

:D:D

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Its not comming, if ya got good meat, a decent rub, no need to have an overpowering smoke! Its all about personal preferance. Nuff said!:)
                            Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

Hey Ken, if I may, your list, as MANY others, states that elm is not good for smoking food. I have responded to this in other forums so I might as well say it here too. I have used elm for more than 8 years, its a great wood. I have lots of it on my place so its my main wood, I also use native choke cherry, quaken aspen, fruit trees, willow, etc. I and a great many friends are living proof that elm is just fine. We are all still pretty much alive and not poisoned. ;) thanks for letting me put in my 2 cents worth. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X