Going half hog wild!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going half hog wild!

Well, I started to deal with the rest of half hog I purchased. Took the whole rear ham and sliced off about 7" thick end, and got the ham down to 15.5 lbs... easier and SAFER to do the dry cure I am doing on it. Injected cure along Morton's recommended procedure, and dry rubbed 5 Oz seasoned Tender Quick on outside of ham. In 6 days, another 5, and a week after that the last 5 Oz will be rubbed on.

Now what to do with a 7" thick pork steak?!? Well, inject with James B. Beam and "Turbocharged Vinegar" of course! then mustard and R's R. <Rich's Rub> Gonna go to pull with this one...mopping with a similar concoction. Smells GREAT...the jalapeno aroma from the vinegar is outstanding!

Uncle Sam's signature of approval

And, the finished product. As I sorta expected, it was a little on the dry side, especially in the exposed smaller muscles around the joint. Minor tho..I took the real dry stuff and most of that DELICIOUS skin you see there and chopped it up into a pot of kidney beans mixed with a can of Ro-tel chopped tomatos and chilis. Boy, that smells good.

As a sidelight, hardly ANY of the pepper flavor so prominent in the vinegar came thru. I'm gonna try using it straight up for injection next time, and in the mop.

Well, might as well complete this odessy. The front quarter this AM:

Short ribs and spine removed, exposing shoulder meat:

Shoulder bone in

Shoulder boned. Lookit that sucker...no wonder folks have a hard time boning shoulders. Also, notice awesome fat cap. You have the power of leaving what you like when ya cut up your own. THAT is gonna be some great pulled pork!

The small ham I'm sending to Marktee for his first run at ham curing.

A composition in pork!
    Making paprika bacon outta the two hunks in the middle right, have 3 hunks for pulled, the bones for spaghetti sauce, and the skin to render for lard and cracklins, and a nice pile of sausage meat. The waste? see that little dot in the lower right? That's the yucky gland that's tucked inside the front of the shoulder.

Applied last dose of cure to the 16 Lb'er this AM. T.Q., onion, garlic and CBP are the components I included in it. It's lookin' purty good. Gonna be a HECK of a smoke! Planning on hanging 'till Easter...IF I can wait!

Will be updated with after cooking/slicing pix.
    16.5 Lbs green weight, 13.5 now.

As far as the curing method-dry cure. Three applictions of cure. Compute the amount of cure required, and make a brine of about a pint with a small bit of it. Inject along all bones. Balance of dry...apply 1/3 and wrap and store in cool dark place. In 7 days do again. Repeat with last third. Cool smoke for a while. I did mine about 5 hours a day over 4 days. Hang to age..I hung mine for bout a month in an old clean pillowcase in the garage. Froze till 2 days before dinner wrapped in tight foil, and defrosted. Gonna oven roast till 160 or so.

A couple pix of the finish. She's a tad salty. Good hammy flavor, overall I'd give it a 7. Next time I will freshen my hams regardless if I think they need it or not. Still have about 6 lbs left, so I dumped it in a icewater bath till tonight. Freeze for Hmm.. a Wings playoff game I think!

In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Nice.. Looks you used everything but the oink.
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Is there...

Anything you CAN'T do?
      Man that is a great post, thanks! Your are so right about that PP...
      May I ask what is the "turbocharged" vinegar..... please??

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
        May I ask what is the "turbocharged" vinegar..... please??
        Apple cider vinegar, with onion, garlic and pepper corns, a couple cayanne and a dash er two of Smittys resting in it
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
        X