Sous Vide Questions, Methods, Hacks & Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
    I am very intrigue by this. Like I need another contraption.....

What is the point of cooking in water then freezing then reheating in the water bath? Why not just cook it straight from the freezer? Guess I need to do some reading and figure out how to add some counter space for another contraption.

The thought of a venison cooked to perfection every time is very intriguing. And reheating to the same temp is very interesting.
    Around Thanksgiving, stores basically are giving turkeys away. This was one of the several $0.39 a lb turkey I got, sous vide cooked directly from frozen to absolute perfection, from edge to edge. All the meat were vacuum packed and frozen. Nice supply of turkey meat for sandwiches, or for smoking. Just reheat to exact temperature. As juicy as fresh made.

dcarch

Comment

dcarch, I have to say that scares me on a bunch of different levels.
      Butt if it works for you.....
      I wouldn't go there.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

From Sous Vide Supreme

http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/en-us...ookingtips.htm

Cooking times and temps
        http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/en-us...mperatures.htm

How do I minimize my risk of botulism and other food born diseases when cooking sous vide?

When handling food, whether cooking sous vide or using more traditional techniques, all cooks should familiarize themselves with basic food safety practices:

Make sure food is fresh, high quality and thoroughly cleaned.
        Don’t cross contaminate – use separate cutting boards and storage units for different food, such as vegetables, fish, fruit, poultry, and meat.
        Properly cook all food. Most bacteria are killed at 130F/54.5C, and most sous vide cooking temperatures are higher than that, but it’s a matter of both temperature and time.
        Serve food right away or follow proper storage and chilling practices, so that food is not left out at unsafe temperatures for more than an hour.

For additional food safety and handling tips, we recommend visiting an approved food safety site such as www.foodsafety.gov, www.foodsafety.org or www.fda.gov

Can I cook a whole chicken, duck or game hen?

Yes, just not in one piece, unless you have a chamber vacuum sealer. Air trapped in the cavity of a whole bird will not be effectively removed by a suction vacuum , sealer and will cause the bag to float, resulting in uneven cooking. Half chickens, ducks or game hens or individual breasts, legs, or thighs work best in the SousVide Supreme.

Is it possible to cook frozen meats?

Absolutely. Although the cooking times in the Time and Temperature Tables in the SousVide Supreme User’s Guide and on our Cooking Times / Temperatures Reference Chart refer to meat put into the water oven from the refrigerator, it is also possible to cook frozen meats. The key is in how long it takes the meat to thaw from frozen in the water bath. Because of the superior efficiency of water over air to conduct or transfer heat, a given portion of meat will thaw in the water bath in approximately the length of time it would take that portion of meat to heat through (cook) out of the refrigerator. So this would effectively double the minimum cooking times given in the tables for tender meat of that thickness. It would not double the time required to tenderize tough cuts of meat, just the time required to heat it through.

For larger birds, such as chicken, duck, or turkey, since the optimal temperatures for cooking white meat and dark are quite different, the old standard ‘cook until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165F/74C will ensure that the breast will be overcooked and the legs and thighs potentially undercooked. By cooking the white meat and dark meat separately at their optimal temperatures, you can ensure the most delicious result for your meal.
        Last edited by Mark R; 01-19-2014, 11:13 AM.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
          dcarch, I have to say that scares me on a bunch of different levels.
          Butt if it works for you.....
          I wouldn't go there.
          I would be, as well as many others, very interested in what scares you.

dcarch

Comment

Originally posted by dcarch View Post
            I would be, as well as many others, very interested in what scares you.

dcarch
            Look at the post above. Not that it can't be done.
            Mark
            sigpic

Comment

If cooking a turkey directly from frozen is what is scaring you:

It seems to me that to thaw a frozen turkey in the refrigerator for a few days is infinitely more dangerous than dumping the frozen turkey in MOVING hot water at, say, 150F. No part of the turkey will be in the danger zone for too long.

Just because the refrigerator is below 40F does not mean germs do not grow, they just grow slower. That why thing do go moldy or rotten in the refrigerator.

Check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WniZ1ly5Ik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neqq8imstlc

dcarch

Comment

No it is not cooking from frozen. Nothing wrong with that. As in the previous quote.
                It is cooking it whole. As stated in the previous quote, that leaves an air pocket causing uneven cooking. It is cooking it without cleaning (washing) it. It is cooking it in the mfg packaging that is not intended for cooking. Most frozen turkeys come with the neck and giblets inside them wrapped in paper, they could not have been removed.
                I don't really want to debate this here. If you want to debate it, start another thread on your cook, so we don't muck thus one up any more.
                Mark
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X