Togarishi Sous Vide Rack of Lamb Seared on the Vortex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Togarishi Sous Vide Rack of Lamb Seared on the Vortex

Coat the rack of lamb with toasted sesame oil then dust heavily with Togararishi Powder(Japanese seven spice). Rest in fridge for an hour.

While the lamb is resting light one half a chimney of charcoal, I use lump but whatever. Put the lit charcoal in the vortex with the vents open. I would have just left the lid off but there was a lot of wind. Let it get good and hot!

Retrieved the lamb from the fridge, dusted with Togarashi again, just to make sure.... And on the grille. Keep it moving you just want to sear the outside, not cook!

Flipped

Now it gets a raincoat.

And into the waterbath at 128° for two hours, or however much longer you need. I was making the Poppy Seed Tort while this was cooking so it was probably in the waterbath for three or three and a half hours. One of the beauties of Sous Vide, you cannot over cook.
    Now we're out of the waterbath, doesn't look much different.

First cut (with Rich's camera)

I got my camera back!

At this point the Tort cooking was getting way long and I was starved so I woofed a few chops and some leftover veggies. But they will be back!

If you cannot find the Togarashi here is the home version,

1 tablespoon (15 ml) black sesame seeds
    1 tablespoon (15 ml) white sesame seeds
    1/2 tablespoon (7.5 ml) orange zest
    1 tablespoon (15 ml) white poppy seeds
    1/2 tablespoon (7.5 ml) Hungarian paprika
    1/2 tablespoon (7.5 ) ancho chile powder or ground dried bird chile
    1 tablespoon (15 ml) crushed Szechwan pepper corns
    1/2 tablespoon (7.5 ml) ginger powder
    2 tablespoons (30 ml) crushed toasted seaweed
    Last edited by Mark R; 01-18-2014, 12:22 PM.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Beautiful lamb chops Mark, nice work!
    So do you have a Sous Vide machine? If so what brand?
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
      Beautiful lamb chops Mark, nice work!
      So do you have a Sous Vide machine? If so what brand?
      Yes and no. I took my time and found one (to start with) on E-bay. It is a commercial Fisher Scientific Immersion Circulator. I liked the results so much I bought a commercial water bath that is larger. Their temp control is extremely accurate. I posted that a while back.
      http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31180
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Mark, that sure looks good. Nice job. A different rub and I'd help you gnaw on those.

I've got a bunch of questions, but don't want to hijack the thread. I'll start another one, you'll see why. But would like your opinion.
        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
        CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
        New Braunfels Bandera
        UniFlame Gas Grill
        Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
          Mark, that sure looks good. Nice job. A different rub and I'd help you gnaw on those.

I've got a bunch of questions, but don't want to hijack the thread. I'll start another one, you'll see why. But would like your opinion.
          K
          Mark
          sigpic

Comment

My buddy always tell me how i should be cooking
            lamb more often. This is further proof! Nice work Mark

Comment

Looks really nice!
              sigpic

Comment

just a thought, wouldn't it make more sense to run it in the water bath to 118-120 or so and then finish it on the grill so there is a slight crust......try it and see what way you prefer.
                sigpic
                it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                  just a thought, wouldn't it make more sense to run it in the water bath to 118-120 or so and then finish it on the grill so there is a slight crust......try it and see what way you prefer.
                  The theory is to sear the outside (past 140°) so you don't get into trouble with the 40 to 140 rule. But as I read more, it should work either way. There are a couple different schools of thought on that. It prolly would work fine with my rack of lamb. But with a thicker piece of meat I would want to be more cautious. Getting ready to do a half pork loin, gonna try it reverse sear.
                  Mark
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                    The theory is to sear the outside (past 140°) so you don't get into trouble with the 40 to 140 rule. But as I read more, it should work either way. There are a couple different schools of thought on that. It prolly would work fine with my rack of lamb. But with a thicker piece of meat I would want to be more cautious. Getting ready to do a half pork loin, gonna try it reverse sear.
                    I would think it's gonna make no difference, at least with that piece of meat. I like the crusty at the end. I've cooked a ton of these on wood and charcoal, butt this is something new and exciting to me. I got me eye on an immersible that Mark sent me a link to on ebay... only thing is, it reads C and not F... butt that's just a short learning curve I suppose...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Hawg, I just printed out a conversion chart for the temps I'm working in. The older units are all in °C.
                      Mark
                      sigpic

Comment

Hawg, I just printed out a conversion chart for the temps I'm working in. The older units are all in °C.
                        Cool! Yeah, I realized after I started looking around that the earlier models were indeed all in C. It's easy nuff to figger it oot, especially with the conversion stuff you can get off the internet.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

The theory is to sear the outside (past 140°) so you don't get into trouble with the 40 to 140 rule. But as I read more, it should work either way. There are a couple different schools of thought on that.
                          sous vide preparation was intended for single serving portion for "center of the plate" cuts so it should never take 4 hrs to come up to temp. to me, the idea was to come up to a certain temp and then finish the cut with a sear (i've even seen blow torches used for this) for flavor and texture developement. a seared and then water bathed prep yeilds a completely different product....i guess it depends on what the end product is to be. i personally do not care for sous vide beef, pork or lamb but that is just me.....i think it really shines for seafood but even then i like caramelization on my food.
                          sigpic
                          it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Maybe originally it was intended for single servings, but not anymore. There are a lot of recipes "out there" for whole meat prep. I really like the texture it gives the meat. Definitely need to be seared!
                            Mark
                            sigpic

Comment

Won't say jack nothin else!
                              Sunset Eagle Aviation
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                              X